Pregnancy And Loose Stools

Dante

I have a l/c chihuahua who is 6 weeks pregnant. I noticed that she started to have loose stools Friday afternoon and she was taken to the vet on Saturday. The vet said she was in excellent health, apart from this.

She was given a B12 injection and a worming injection and I was advised to put her on a bland diet of chicken and rice for a few days. I have also switched her water to Lectade (this is an oral electrolyte). All in all I think I was more concerned over it than the vet was. But I cant help but worry... this is my first litter!

Has anyone else experienced this?

... since no-one else seems to have seen this - have you given your girl chicken necks or wings? Just guessing, I find that the calcium that is undigested from the bones in the chicken will firm up the stool.

Other than that - what are you feeding her?

Curious as to what sort of "worming injection" any decent vet would be willing to give to an UNWELL 6 week pregnant bitch :eek:

Cooked chicken (don't bother with the rice IMO) will be fine for a day or two, if she doesn't improve by then I would be off to another vet.

Has it been very hot where you are? This sometimes makes my dogs a bit loose if it turns hot suddenly.

After she's started to come right - if she's used to bones I would try her on a small amount of minced chicken with bone it (IMO a neck could be too fatty for her if her stomach is unsettled).

Hope someone with experience with little dogs can help - mine are Staffords so a bit bigger and much more sturdy & bulletproof :laugh:

Edited by Sandra777

I have a l/c chihuahua who is 6 weeks pregnant. I noticed that she started to have loose stools Friday afternoon and she was taken to the vet on Saturday. The vet said she was in excellent health, apart from this.

She was given a B12 injection and a worming injection and I was advised to put her on a bland diet of chicken and rice for a few days. I have also switched her water to Lectade (this is an oral electrolyte). All in all I think I was more concerned over it than the vet was. But I cant help but worry... this is my first litter!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi Dante

A couple of my bitches have become a bit loose when pregnant, probably due to hormonal changes. It has never been a problem and I probably wouldn't worry unless became very runny especially if she is healthy in every other way. My bitches always get looser towards the end of pregnancy, seems their body is cleaning out just before birth.

You could try giving her some Protexin liquid which I have found to be excellent, I always keep some in the fridge and have used it on my adults and puppies at some stage. You can even give it to puppies just before the stress of getting needles etc. You can buy it in a pump pack or I get my from my vet who sells it in a glass bottle to me and I use a syringe to administer it straight into the mouth, you don't need much (remember to shake bottle well before use as it

separates)

Small dogs 1-2mls, Puppies 1ml, under stress 2ml. It has a maintenance dose or a under stress dose but I just use it as I need it. One of my 19 week old boys sometimes gets a funny belly when he travels and doesn't want to eat etc I give him 1 dose and it fixes him up pretty quickly.

Cheers Lee

Thanks for the replies. As the vet said it was quite common, it's strange that not many people have experienced it. She is in good health, bright and sparky. And the loose stools are easing now. Fingers crossed the rest of the pregnancy with be uneventful. I have kept her on plain cooked chicken which may or may not have helped. lol

The worming injection, well I had never heard of it until the vet mentioned it. Apparently it is normally given in the last week of pregnancy and clears both the bitch and pups of worms. Vet said pups will now not have to start being wormed until 6 weeks of age. Have any other breeders used this injection?

Thanks for the replies. As the vet said it was quite common, it's strange that not many people have experienced it. She is in good health, bright and sparky. And the loose stools are easing now. Fingers crossed the rest of the pregnancy with be uneventful. I have kept her on plain cooked chicken which may or may not have helped. lol

The worming injection, well I had never heard of it until the vet mentioned it. Apparently it is normally given in the last week of pregnancy and clears both the bitch and pups of worms. Vet said pups will now not have to start being wormed until 6 weeks of age. Have any other breeders used this injection?

I have never heard of the injection but wonder why the vet would use it 6 weeks into the pregnancy if it is intended to be given in the last week.

I would call the vets, find out exactly what it was, who makes it and chase up more info with that company.

Edited by dancinbcs

That's interesting. Last year with my bitch who had been on Sentitnel for most of her life my vet said that the puppies would be well and truly protected against parasites an not to bother to begin worming until 4 weeks old.