Parvo?

Kirty

This afternoon she seemed a bit quieter and her poops were starting to get soft again, so I went back to the vet. Parvo test negative, but vet said they aren't very reliable. She has put her on meds in case it is coccidia and I have to take a stool sample in tomorrow. Tonight, she has got the runs again. :( She is still happy and bouncy and eating well. *sigh* What a saga. :( Other pups from the litter have also been back at the vet and the vet dealing with them thinks it is not parvo but some sort of nasty bacterial infection. He has sent stool samples from those pups off to the lab so we should get some more results tomorrow.

If she has Coccidia, the vet can give you Baycox in a dose for a dog her size, or they can use Trizine... I had a pup with Coccidia once - lots of sloppy poops and not gaining weight like he should but otherwise happy and active - my vet didn't have Baycox, so we used Trizine, which worked a treat...

A fecal float will distinquish between Coccidia and Guiardia - which can also have similar symptoms - and you'd use a different drug to kill Guiardia.

T.

You can get mild cases. We had a puppy who had parvo, was at the vet a couple of times because he wasn't quite right, but because he wasn't particularly sick nobody suspect parvo. He was quite sick for a couple of days and spent that at the vets, but recovered very quickly. There is some new thinking that the most dangerous form of parvo is parvo in association with corona. We've also had a litter of puppies test positive to parvo, but never developed any symptoms at all, so they were probably just indicating exposure with enough resistance to fight infection.

I had a litter of new born puppies at home at the time I had the parvo case and was a bit hysterical to put it mildly, but I cleaned as much as I could, isolated the puppies and did reasonable infection control and everyone survived and in fact no-one has got even a bit sick.

There are lots of other things that can cause soft stools in puppies, including giardia. The parvo tests are not reliable on their own; from memory clinical diagnosis of parvo is usually from a high positive parvo test, plus symptoms, plus blood test. Dogs who have been exposed to parvo can test positive; as can dogs recently vaccinated.

And can you get really mild cases? I guess I am just hoping for a miracle because I am not looking forward to disinfecting my entire house and yard. :( I always disinfect myself before work anyway but I'm being even more thorough now - footbath at the front door, putting on clothes just before I leave, etc.

I just googled Corona virus and it sounds similar, but not quite spot on. She hasn't had watery poos and the symptoms have lasted too long.

Another question - is it possible to get false positives for parvo?

DEFINITELY possible! My vet used to recommend against immediate vaccination whilst a dog was in quarantine as if a dog got sick it would test positive for parvo whether or not it had it.

Have you got a 10 day schedule for the Trizine Kirty? It cleared up my foster pup nicely - results were seen by the 3rd day with his poos becoming more solid. I also fed him premium brand puppy kibble to get some weight onto him when his gut started absorbing the nutrients properly.

T.

Campylobacter is a bacteria.

You can get mild cases of Parvo.

Vaccination may interfere with parvo tests and you can get false positives.

The clinical signs you describe are very general and could be anything really from stress to corona, parasites or parvo.

I would be inclined to treat it as if she did have parvo re disinfectiuon of your house just to be safe.

The vet treating the other pups have apparently confirmed it is not parvo. They are waiting on more test results which should be in tomorrow. I am still treating as if it is parvo with regard to cleaning, just in case.

Update! Apparently it's food poisoning! The tests on the other pups have come back as some sort of salmonella type thing. I'm going to speak to their vet tomorrow and get the official report, but they are confident its definitely not parvo. I'm so relieved! I'm still going to keep disinfecting for a few more weeks just to be safe but phew! :)

Edited by Kirty

Yay for no parvo!

Kenzie had food poisoning as a pup, and I was convinced that she was going to die. I literally think that for 2 nights I didn't really sleep because I was convinced that she would just stop breathing (don't know why this was my conclusion!) - she had been doing nothing but eliminating everything that went in to her so scary when little babies get sick like this.

Hoep your little one comes leaps and bounds now!!!! :thumbsup:

It's a worry when you are waiting for a positive diagnosis of what is wrong with a pup, isn't it?

Great news that it's not Parvo... now you can get down to making sure the pups all get the correct treatment, and they will be better in no time...

T.

Foster puppy is doing great. Will be on a bland diet for another week or so to make sure her tummy is completely recovered, then we can start to introduce some real food again. :) She is obviously feeling better too because she is becoming EVIL! LOL! She is so gorgeous though. I am so relieved it wasn't parvo!! Still waiting on those final results but might not know until Monday now.