Pet Plan Insurance

Oscar (AmBull)

Hi DOLers,

I just got my renewal for our pet insurance, we have been with PetPlan for 2 years now and the price has become progressively more. It has been $41.95/month and it is now going up to $45.95/month, to me that seems like a huge increase in one year.

So, I am wondering what others pay for their breed of dog? I know it is more for some breeds than others but I am seriously considering changing to another company. We have never had to make a claim (thankfully) but prior to joining he did have a cancer removed, which is when we went on insurance and they have known about it all along. They also have asked me to get a letter from my vet for the last two years medical history to I guess clear him of the cancer exclusion? Is this standard practice, all he has had are his shots, do I need an appointment to get the history? Or can I just pick it up?

All help/advice appreciated- definitely keen on other possible insurance company’s people are happy with.

I think their prices are pretty much standard across the board, regardless of breed, state you live in, how long you've been a member for, any claims made. My renewal amount and amount I got quoted off the website for a new sign up were identical.

I just forked out $500 for my yearly renewal for one dog, ouch :(

As for if it's worth it, very debatable. Some will say definitely, some will say no. I sit on the fence about it, but opt to "play it safe" and keep paying my premiums "just in case"!!!

Thanks guys, I think it is worth it. I was just wondering why the prices continue to rise each year, I guess like everything. I am going to stay with them I think, I have spent the last hour researching it and realised the difference in what is covered ie 80% or 100% of the bill is a big difference.

There is a difference between breeds, I know that because my next dog will be a dogue de bordeaux and I have checked how much it will cost and on the budget plan it is $47 vs $36 for Oscar as an Amstaff. I am considering moving down from the standard plan to the budget. Will look into it a bit more.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get a medical history report from the vet?

Thanks guys, I think it is worth it. I was just wondering why the prices continue to rise each year, I guess like everything. I am going to stay with them I think, I have spent the last hour researching it and realised the difference in what is covered ie 80% or 100% of the bill is a big difference.

There is a difference between breeds, I know that because my next dog will be a dogue de bordeaux and I have checked how much it will cost and on the budget plan it is $47 vs $36 for Oscar as an Amstaff. I am considering moving down from the standard plan to the budget. Will look into it a bit more.

You just ask them. It's usually just a printout from their computer system, not a special report.

Mine emailed mine to me as a PDF attachment. It's a history of every visit and phone call between you and the vet. So just know that every little thing you say to the vet, WILL go on record and the insurance company will see it :p

Sniper (Dobermann) is insured with PIA, its the first year and have to renew soon but had one claim (for ringworm treatment) and it was all good.

I have the $500 excess per condition with cover up to $13000 annually for injury and illness. For this my premium is about $300 I think, but I will see if it goes up for the second year.