The Second Dog

Tamara27

Hi everyone

I have a male mini schnauzer, Bernard who is two years old. He has been with us since he was 10 weeks old.

Four days ago we brought home an 8 month old female standard schnauzer, Olive, for a trial period. Olive came from the same breeder as we got Bernard from. Olive was previously with a family but it did not work out so she was returned. The trial is to see how everybody (dogs and humans) get along.

Olive and Bernard do not seem too fussed about each other, they go about their separate business most of the time. A few times a day they will play chasey in the backyard though, where Bernard will chase Olive around the yard barking until they exhaust themselves. During the chasey Olive will put her paws down with her bum up in the air and wag her big tail so I think she is having fun. I believe that Olive is the initiator of the chasey too.

However, Bernard has shown aggression toward Olive when I am giving her attention or if she hops up on our bed etc. He will growl, stand with his legs over her, and sit on her. Olive doesn't seem too fussed about this, and just lays down. Is this normal behaviour, should I be interveining?

They have also shown aggression towards each other during meal time, so much so that I have been feeding them in separate rooms. This time though the agression comes from Olive, she will literally steal Bernard's food from under him, and as she is bigger and stronger she can! Is separate feeding something that is recommended for two dogs?

I have seen so many times people taking on a second dog and it not working and I would like to make sure I do the right thing from the beginning.

I would appreciate any advice on their behaviour :)

Thank you, Tamara

I always feed separately (in crates). That way you know how much they are getting, if anyone is off their food, and nobody can be intimidated away from their dinner. Everyone can eat in peace :thumbsup:

Thank you for the advice, I will continue with feeding separately.

Do you think Bernard's behaviour towards Olive is acceptable in regard to when I am giving Olive affection?

No I don't think what Bernard is doing is good. I used to have the same problem - Zoe would growl at Diesel if Diesel came near me. I don't know what I did to fix it :confused: I think it fixed itself when I got Kaos :laugh: as they are best mates. Or maybe I did more training with them together? Can't remember.

Sounds like Bernard thinks he owns you. start giving affection only on your terms... don't give either dog affection if they come over to you, only call them over to give affection and ensure you also end it when you've had enough.

If you call Olive over, and Bernard also runs over, completely ignore Bernard and gently push him off and away from Olive and yourself. do the same if Olive runs over when you call Bernard.

I suggest you feed them separately, too. Dogs don't like to share food - that's not a biggy.

Bernard's behaviour to Olive is a bit inappropriate and I would be intervening. One day Olive may 'snap' and no longer tolerate Bernard's attitude. I would do as others have suggested in this thread. If either of them get gnarky over your attention, I'd just stand up and walk away, perhaps even go on the other side of a door and wait a few minutes. They should learn that getting nasty over you means that you go! Not that they get you.

Victoria Stilwell ('It's Me Or the Dog') has a few segments with dogs that have 'jealousy' issues like this. You might want to have a look at some of her older episodes, as they actually demonstrate the technique.

If either of them get gnarky over your attention, I'd just stand up and walk away, perhaps even go on the other side of a door and wait a few minutes. They should learn that getting nasty over you means that you go! Not that they get you.

This never worked with my old corgi. She could predict that her behaviour resulted in being cut off one way or another, but it never ever actually changed the frequency of the behaviour.

Erik resource guards training cues. :p He tries to drive Kivi off when I'm doing something with Kivi that he wants to do. It is not much of a problem given he has a rock solid 'down'. If he gets silly, I cue a down. It calms him and gives him something to do that has a strong reward history. He still needs to be watched and sometimes physically stopped if he's extremely aroused, but that down takes care of a lot of problems. Every dog I have from here on will have a rock solid down.

Thank you so much everybody for your replies, I used your advice last night and it did help with the growling over attention.

However, last night Bernard started humping Olive, something that he hasn't done before. He was also kind of circling her pushing his weight in to her. I intervened with a firm "no" and it was enough to stop them.

Olive seems fine with Bernard being the dominant dog, she is not fighting it. I wish Bernard would just realise he is the dominant one and stop all this nonsense!

I would do things to reward them BOTH when they are being calm and happy.

Perhaps if you see both dogs sitting around doing nothing, arm yourself with treats and feed each dog.

I used to also call mine over after a play session and make them line up for treats.

If I caught them cuddling together it would be MEGA MEGA treats!

Basically don't try to wait for him to do something mean towards her and correct it but try to catch them in HAPPY moments and reward the heck out of that!

I have done it to the point where my dogs go out of their way to be all loving with each other because they want a reward!

I would do things to reward them BOTH when they are being calm and happy.

Perhaps if you see both dogs sitting around doing nothing, arm yourself with treats and feed each dog.

I used to also call mine over after a play session and make them line up for treats.

If I caught them cuddling together it would be MEGA MEGA treats!

Basically don't try to wait for him to do something mean towards her and correct it but try to catch them in HAPPY moments and reward the heck out of that!

I have done it to the point where my dogs go out of their way to be all loving with each other because they want a reward!

Oh I like that idea, rewarding the good behaviour makes sense. Thank you :)