Who Is Actual Legal Owner?

InspectorRex

Not too many lawyers out there are across companion animal ownership laws - it could turn out to be an expensive exercise.

Nah, a cursory look at the case law should do the trick. I'm sure there's some- I will have a look later today, and the legislation. Stranger things are divided all the time, people own weird, weird things.. :)

It's more in the realm of property and division of property etc, rather than companion animal law. That's all about registering, dangerous dog registration and requirements, requirements relating to business operations and transferral of permits, etc. This is a matter of ownership transferral rather than anything to do with the actual dog.

lol.

Oh wow, is that all it takes? You must be brilliant with these open/shut cases without knowing the facts....but hey, case law/legislation, you can't go wrong.

(FYI, Danois is a Lawyer).

:laugh: I gathered from her response :) I'm halfway there. It's obviously not a matter of open/shut, but I'm sure there are cases where dogs were divided up between parties, along with other property. It's not something so strange and complex that you couldn't make a half decent stab at it.

It is hard for anyone to actually comment without the FACTS

The opening post has the facts and it's pretty detailed as to the situation. I wouldn't think anyone would require more "facts" to give a general answer.

I would say at the moment, it's joint ownership and would need to be worked out between the two parties concerned. And the friendship might just have to go by the wayside if the original owner wants the dogs back.

:laugh: I gathered from her response :) I'm halfway there. It's obviously not a matter of open/shut, but I'm sure there are cases where dogs were divided up between parties, along with other property. It's not something so strange and complex that you couldn't make a half decent stab at it.

There's lots to learn in the 2nd half ;)

Not too many lawyers out there are across companion animal ownership laws - it could turn out to be an expensive exercise.

Nah, a cursory look at the case law should do the trick. I'm sure there's some- I will have a look later today, and the legislation. Stranger things are divided all the time, people own weird, weird things.. :)

It's more in the realm of property and division of property etc, rather than companion animal law. That's all about registering, dangerous dog registration and requirements, requirements relating to business operations and transferral of permits, etc. This is a matter of ownership transferral rather than anything to do with the actual dog.

lol.

Oh wow, is that all it takes? You must be brilliant with these open/shut cases without knowing the facts....but hey, case law/legislation, you can't go wrong.

lol.

I figured you were a student given the 'case law and legislation' comment. That was EXACTLY my approach when I graduated.

You'll be surprised how pointless a lot of what they teach you is when you enter the field!

(I'm a 2nd year n00b solicitor, Danois is def. the go to experienced legal expert on DOL).

lol.

lol.

I figured you were a student given the 'case law and legislation' comment. That was EXACTLY my approach when I graduated.

You'll be surprised how pointless a lot of what they teach you is when you enter the field!

(I'm a 2nd year n00b solicitor, Danois is def. the go to experienced legal expert on DOL).

:laugh: Yeah I'm a total n00b, I know. This is not my first degree though, and a change of direction, so I'm a bit less wet behind the ears than some. I still think this is an issue of property not companion animals though!