Import Permit

DLB

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has applied for an import permit lately and if so, how long did it take to receive?

I know they are aiming to have a 20 business day turnaround but just seeing if it is realistic to think we can get a dog out here before xmas.

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has applied for an import permit lately and if so, how long did it take to receive?

I know they are aiming to have a 20 business day turnaround but just seeing if it is realistic to think we can get a dog out here before xmas.

I had one issued three months ago and it took 4 weeks, hope that helps.

I had agents doing all the work.

I had one done about two months or so ago, that took just over two weeks. I also had a broker doing the work for me. I have heard they are swamped because of the new import changes which have resulted in a flood of dogs to come over prior to that.

Hi

I'm assuming you have all the necessary vaccs & titre tests completed. What country are you importing from...if it's a category 4 country & you haven't got the ball rolling already, then I think you chances are slim to none, sorry!! I had my Belgian import released from quarantine yesterday & from the date of the Import permit (dated one month after the rabies vaccination - and when results from the titre tests came back within range) to the date she flew in to Sydney, it was 5 months. Category 2 countries are different (UK, Sweden)..you must still have a rabies vacc & blood work done but the animals are allowed in much earlier.

He is coming from Sweden so at the moment it is Category 2.

I have calculated that we have a 21 day buffer from when the permit should arrive (allowing 20 business days) to when the quarantine does its last collection from the airports on 21 December.

Luckily flights are direct from Stockholm to Sydney with no stop overs - so that is 21 hours.

Vaccs are all done and we will get the bloodwork started in 2 weeks.

But we have plan B in place and if he doesn't make it here before xmas he will be here in April but I really hope he is here before xmas. fingers crossed people!!!

Hunterhound - how lovely you got your dog yesterday. That is fantastic!!!!!

Hi

I'm assuming you have all the necessary vaccs & titre tests completed. What country are you importing from...if it's a category 4 country & you haven't got the ball rolling already, then I think you chances are slim to none, sorry!! I had my Belgian import released from quarantine yesterday & from the date of the Import permit (dated one month after the rabies vaccination - and when results from the titre tests came back within range) to the date she flew in to Sydney, it was 5 months. Category 2 countries are different (UK, Sweden)..you must still have a rabies vacc & blood work done but the animals are allowed in much earlier.

WARNING!! as from Jan 1st Sweden and the UK are Cat 4 countries and will be SIX months quarantine, I posted this ages ago ( maybe on Facebook cant recall) and was challenged by " OTHERS" that know better but it is com8ing in as from January 1st, due to the new UK laws with Swedish imports which affects AUS directly. Should be on the AQIS site.

That's right, from Jan 1st the Uk and a few other euro countries change their import rules. For us, it means we can bring a dog in just 3 weeks after they have had the vaccination for rabies, no more titre and having to wait 6 months.

That's right, from Jan 1st the Uk and a few other euro countries change their import rules. For us, it means we can bring a dog in just 3 weeks after they have had the vaccination for rabies, no more titre and having to wait 6 months.

Not good for Australia though!! Doesnt not affect me as all the Xolos I buy are from established breed countries, but sad for those that liked the 30 day quarantine period!

Out of interest why the 6 month quarantine? Are there more risks than what there were???

6 months is a very long time and would really influence me bringing a dog over or not.

The UK and Sweden have changed their laws OSS at their end making it easier for them to import, BUT, tyhis makes the ris,k here worse so the AQIS have upped our status here as we have NO Rabies here. It is very sad for us, and costly, depending on where you source your breed from. Sadly I always have the good breeders for my breed in the Cat 4 countries!

The dog can do 150 days in their own country and do the last 30 days in Quarantine here.

This means the dog may still be shown in that country if you wish, but I think not allowed to leave that country to be shown else where.

Looks as though Quarantine is upping their regulations in some countries to same as is required for North America.

Ah okay.

Can they do part of their quarantine in their country of origin, or do they have to do the whole 6 months in one of our quaratine stations over here?

They MUST do 30 days here, if you email me OSS I can send you my details on import requirements and timings etc, qtine here in WA is $38 a day, other countries have varying rates but I have found cheaper, some breeders can accomodate dogs at their kennels etc and that again is cheaper. My email is [email protected] if you wnat a copy of the info.

J

Just spoke to the AQIS this morning and they are assessing 6 October applications today so I should have the permit by the end of November (crossing fingers, toes and everything else).

So as long as that all goes smoothly my boy will fly out of Sweden around 15 December ish. :D

Just spoke to the AQIS this morning and they are assessing 6 October applications today so I should have the permit by the end of November (crossing fingers, toes and everything else).

So as long as that all goes smoothly my boy will fly out of Sweden around 15 December ish. :D

Great news, its sad that it hasnt been well publicised to many who may be caught with the new rules.

J

He is coming from Sweden so at the moment it is Category 2.

I have calculated that we have a 21 day buffer from when the permit should arrive (allowing 20 business days) to when the quarantine does its last collection from the airports on 21 December.

Luckily flights are direct from Stockholm to Sydney with no stop overs - so that is 21 hours.

Vaccs are all done and we will get the bloodwork started in 2 weeks.

But we have plan B in place and if he doesn't make it here before xmas he will be here in April but I really hope he is here before xmas. fingers crossed people!!!

Hunterhound - how lovely you got your dog yesterday. That is fantastic!!!!!

When I bought my Swedish girl to Oz (January 2010) her flights were from Arlanda Stockholm via Heathrow...if they go via Heathrow they MUST stay one night at Heathrow quarantine(some stupid UK regulation??)Thankfully AQIS will permit the seal to be broken by the station at Heathrow...so the dog can come out of the crate, have a meal & sleep in a kennel...they are then resealed the next day ready for their flight to Oz. From Heathrow to Australia there was a stopover in Singapore for refueling..so from memory the flight was about 21 hours?? I do not know of a direct route from Stockholm, so make sure you check this out properly. Are you using an agent?? I have used Jetpets twice...the first time from Sweden went without a hitch...the one from Belgium was a disaster, so make sure you ask LOTS of questions & demand a flight schedule which details ALL stopovers (even for refueling)!

:laugh:HI

Yes using an agent and flight aren't booked yet so will know more later on. I did my own research about flights and assumed they would be direct - see glad I am using an agent as I clearly have no clue!!! :rofl:

It is a daunting process and dont think I would be brave enough to do this by myself :)

I will be glad if there is a stop over as he is only a baby.

VERY VERY EXCITED THOUGH!!!!!!

:laugh:HI

Yes using an agent and flight aren't booked yet so will know more later on. I did my own research about flights and assumed they would be direct - see glad I am using an agent as I clearly have no clue!!! :rofl:

It is a daunting process and dont think I would be brave enough to do this by myself :)

I will be glad if there is a stop over as he is only a baby.

VERY VERY EXCITED THOUGH!!!!!!

I always use agents ( safe and sure and any muck ups they pay!) and ask for photos along the way they are more than happy to oblige.