Coonhound Disease

Jsk

A friends dog has come down with an unknown disease and after testing for heaps of different things it is looking like coonhound disease.

I have ever heard of coonhound disease until now, so was wondering if anyone knows of it or has any experience with it.

Friend lives on a farm so the dogs aren't exposed to heaps of other dogs, it is also only 1out of about 15 dogs that is sick.

Acute polyradiculoneuritis is quite uncommon but it's by not rare - I probably see about 1-2 cases per year. It's unfortunately often a diagnosis of exclusion but depending on the presenting signs there are a limited number of things that cause the same set of clinical signs. The other disease that can look like it botulism which should be considered if the dog has access to rotting carcasses, there is often facial nerve paralysis that can distinguish it from polyradiculoneuritis. Recovery from polyradiculoneuritis can take several weeks and there is no specific treatment - nursing care is the most important aspect of treatment.

Found the old topic when I googled it, was hoping that maybe someone had experience with it.

Spoke to my friend yesterday afternoon and her boy has been up on his feet albeit very shaky and not for long.

So hopefully he doesn't slip backwards like some of the stories that I have read online.

Rappie have the outcomes of the cases you have seen all been happy endings?

Rappie have the outcomes of the cases you have seen all been happy endings?

Yes, including the one that turned out to be botulism. A few have required IV fluids but generally only for a few days until they are able to eat and drink without too much assistance. One of the hardest things is that it just takes time for them to get better and there is no set time frame. Mostly though I have seen them improve fairly quickly after 1-2 weeks.