Scary Experience!

Puppybella

Hey Everyone, (sorry for the long post!)

Last night I very nearly lost my 9 month old dachshund baby! I got home and took her out for our evening walk and not far into it she started putting the breaks on but I thought she was just being obtuse. I coaxed her a long until she sat down rubbed her face madly on the grass, threw up everywhere and then collapsed with her eyes closed. I wasn't quite sure what happened or what to do, I thought maybe she was just a bit exhausted (not that it was anything more than usual).

Being our evening walk I hadn't taken water but luckily there was a tap nearby, so I carried her over and tried to give her some but she wouldn't have a bar of it, she was completely limp and her breathing was very shallow. I was now freaking out and of course it had to be the day I didn't have my mobile on me to call the rest of the household. So I carried her home, a dead weight in my arms, and I had to stop occasionally to check she was still alive :cry: .

We got home and she was still limp and breathing quickly but she took some water and I lay her on the cool tiles. It she perked up relatively quickly and then also took a little food. It turns out she didn't eat her breakfast that morning and we think she basically fainted from the exertion on an empty stomach (obviously I didn't realise before I took her walking). I was about to take her to emergency but she was perking up, eating and walking around again and she looked fine, so we just kept an eye on her.

I popped out for groceries for half an hour and by the time I got back the rest of the family was getting ready to take her to the vet, as her lips had swelled up so much she looked like a spaniel! The vet says she was likely bitten or stung by something which resulted in anaphylactic shock, and that she was very lucky to be alive. By this stage the danger had passed, but the news was still awful! She got some cortisone and antihistamine shots, as well as some cortisone tablets to administer if we suspect it happening again. I know the more experienced doggers out there are probably aware of all this, but if you're not maybe get some tablets just in case! You never really know until it happes.

I just had to share this horrible experience and the relief that I feel that Bella's ok. She's such a beauty and has really become part of the family. We've only had her 6 months and I don't have children yet, but I can now imagine the worry and the heart-stopping moments they must bring! :heart::heart:

Yes, really, really scary those sort of happenings. glad Bella is Ok now. Had something similar happen when I was traveling into NSW some years ago. Stopped at a wayside area and gave the dogs a walk on lead. Sam, Miniature Pinscher, threw up, started shaking and collapsed.

Naturally it's miles from anywhere and I didn't know anyone. Roared into the first service station, got help finding the nearest Vet and phoned. They gave me directions and said they would wait until I got there. Their clinic was in the middle of town and had the 'reverse into' parking in the front. Being from Vic and upset about Sam, no way could I park the damn car so left it double parked and ran in. Vet was great, Sam had a couple of injections and after about half an hour he was back to normal, some sort of bite. The Vet then phoned the Vets in the next two towns and gave them a rundown and gave me their after hours numbers to ring if I had any worries. Luckily there wasn't much traffic as I drove with one eye on the road and the other on Sam but he was fine. Sure scared the h*ll out of me though.