Do We Worry Too Much

mini girl

Shoes off at the door, hands washed, sit on the lounge and observe - I myself may pick up a pup or two but no I don't let them at 4 week be handled by anyone but my husband and close family - maybe I am a bit too soft but when you get a special request - hate to say no - others not coming till 6 weeks - and yes I am convinced to not take my girl out of the house to the groomer - even though the groomer is a friend and I know the way she operates under very hygenic conditions will just wait a while - this thread has gone from me being overly concerned about my girl to me seemingly not concerned enough for my girl and her pups welfare - just to set the record straight I am a very dedicated breeder and thankfully have never lost a pup or even had one sick due to any kind of infection - I do appreciate your concerns and must not take it too personally - after all you do not know me or I you - but thank you for all the responses - I do appreciate it and will continue to do my very best in all areas of breeeding and caring for my wonderful dogs.

:) No offence meant at all.. just that I wasn't aware you had good measures in place ....

Your beautiful girl and all those gorgeous little babies will charm everyone, I'm sure!

Thanks pesephone - I will do my best - guess I have this silly notion in my mind that poodles are ment to look good - but suprisingly enough a lot of my pets out there can look somewhat scruffy in photos I receive back but are still well cared for and so loved - and it doesn't worry me a bit - I guess in a lot of areas people are not as judgemental as you think - anyway its my own doing - I did fall in love with poodles and of all breeds they must be one of the most high maintenance unless you get them shaved off - why didn't I fall for one of the short haired breeds - but it would be a funny old world if every dog looked the same - love them all but you do have to select one or maybe two breeds to be your dog/s. Now I'm babbling - but I have leaned quite a bit tongiht you know and again thanks - rest assured I would guard my girl and her babies with my life.

I can understand you wanting mum to look nice :) I do my own & start bathing & clipping babies at 5 weeks old. I would not be impressed visiting pups if mum looked all daggy.

For the first few weeks that's fine, you don't want to be messing too much & mum needs to smell like mum for the pups but by week 3 I expect my mums to not mind being taken away from babies for a bath & a daily brush & check of teats, rear end & ears.

Agree not to send her out but would try & get the groomer in to your home. Poodles do get messy really quickly & woolly & not trimmed is not cute, its just looks uncared for.

With some sense visitors are fine when you feel comfortable. Everyone has different ideas on this.

I've only seen eclampsia (sp? = milk fever) in a goat and it's really awful. It's fine to worry and better to be safe than sorry. I expect that experience will show you that you can cross that particular malady off your list of concerns if you feed a calcium rich diet regularly, and particularly in the months before conception.

I don't understand panting in nursing bitches, but have had several who do it. . . .with no ill consequences.

I don't understand panting in nursing bitches, but have had several who do it.

Ones I've seen it's just that they are hot- most whelping boxes are made to protect/keep warm the precious puppies ..who cannot thermoregulate and who need to be nice & warm .

Mum however , snuggled up with them, can get a bit uncomfortably warm :(

I can understand you wanting mum to look nice :) I do my own & start bathing & clipping babies at 5 weeks old. I would not be impressed visiting pups if mum looked all daggy.

For the first few weeks that's fine, you don't want to be messing too much & mum needs to smell like mum for the pups but by week 3 I expect my mums to not mind being taken away from babies for a bath & a daily brush & check of teats, rear end & ears.

Agree not to send her out but would try & get the groomer in to your home. Poodles do get messy really quickly & woolly & not trimmed is not cute, its just looks uncared for.

With some sense visitors are fine when you feel comfortable. Everyone has different ideas on this.

Yes totally agree Christina - had this same discussion with my husband this morning - we will ask the groomer to come over - I am sure she won't mind I have a good set up with table and bathing area anyway and she does make my dogs look so nice - yes my girl is happy to have a break from the babies now - at presdent she is curled up at my feet and she is joining in with my other dogs around the house and back yard - she is doing a good job and the pups are plump and so contented. Its not just a cosmetic thing or any form of vanity over the look of the dgos - but as you say poodles can get so messy so quickly when their wool gets that bit too long and they can look as if they are a neglected animal - I don't want a show clip - just a nice neat and tidy and COOL (as in temperature) clip so she looks like a well cared for poodle should. If I ever fall out of love with poodles - which I very much doubt - I'll go for something like a bassenji - I hear just a wipe over with a damp cloth and they look fine!!!

My groomer is coming to the house this afternoon - so we are all happy now - my darling girl will feel so much better with a shorter coat - its getting very hot here now through the day. Thanks all who did show concern guess I just didn't think - but you never know. My groomer is very gentle. Meanwhile the pups are having a bit of puppy milk and farex and loving it.

When I read the heading "Do we worry too much?" My first response was "YES".

However..."Do we worry unnecessarily?" No. :)

:) I actually love poodly coats like what your girl has now ! Puppy clip or similar looks nice to me :) I hope your new babies will have happy and interesting homes soon .

Me too!

My sisters Poodle despite regular trips to a groomer in London never is trimmed beyond this.

post-27253-0-68316100-1321314550_thumb.jpg

Edited by LizT

LizT that is absolutely gorgeous!! :) :)

Isn't he though. I need to go to London to visit him :laugh:

Pet clips can look stunning and just beautiful love them - sadly though after a poodle is 1 year old he can no longer be shown in these pretty pet or puppy clips - its a shame really.

LizT that is absolutely gorgeous!! :) :)

Isn't he though. I need to go to London to visit him :laugh:

Pet clips can look stunning and just beautiful love them - sadly though after a poodle is 1 year old he can no longer be shown in these pretty pet or puppy clips - its a shame really.

I agree, it would be nice if it were more "optional". Although I for one think that the poodle exhibitors deserve accolades and a prize just for the effort they go to (as do many of the High maintenance breeds) I know it's Tradition but I would love to show a Poodle if it were able to stay in a Puppy type Clip.

Edited by LizT