Hair Between Toes?

toshman

My dog's feet are very sensitive - that's what he tells me, anyway! He is a Border Terrier, left these days to go very shaggy and clipped through the summer (I know, I know!) but I don't seem to be able to get rid of the hair between his toes on the bottom of his feet...he pulls away if I so much as touch it with my fingers, and I'm nervous of putting a pair of scissors down there. Any ideas, anyone? I just thought the other day watching him pick at his feet that it might be bothering him?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Put the dog on a high table and lift his paw at a good height for you both. Push the hair from the bottom up through the gaps of his toes so it is sticking out in tufts on the top of the paw. Cut in an upward angle. Comb backwards across the top of the paw again and cut again in an upward angle to neaten it.

Dogs often behave better for people who aren't their owner, so you might be best to pop into a groomers and just get them to trim under the paws (and check toe nail length). It will save you getting into a battle about it and then you can start to work on teaching your dog to be relaxed about touching and holding his paws

Put the dog on a high table and lift his paw at a good height for you both. Push the hair from the bottom up through the gaps of his toes so it is sticking out in tufts on the top of the paw. Cut in an upward angle. Comb backwards across the top of the paw again and cut again in an upward angle to neaten it.

Good tip!

Seeing that our groomer moved,we have to do our own cutting now :laugh:

Good tip!

Seeing that our groomer moved,we have to do our own cutting now :laugh:

Yes, but the OP was asking about cutting the hair at the bottom on the feet, not trimming the top of the foot. That is not how I would trim a Border Terrier foot anyway, that is more the method for cavies, border collies and gundog breeds type feet.

TBH I would have no clue how to clip a Borders foot, I've never groomed one as they are a rare breed here. Given that the OP shaves the dog off I just assumed they were after a neat and tidy look but more, to stop irritating the dog. And yep that is exactly how I get rid of the hair from between the toes (which is what the OP asked about ) from both top and bottom of paw. Further back in the pads I clip.

Seeing that our groomer moved,we have to do our own cutting now laugh.gif

I was just thinking about you and Lani yesterday! Was wondering how you got on with a new groomer and your 'Lani Styling'.

TBH I would have no clue how to clip a Borders foot, I've never groomed one as they are a rare breed here. Given that the OP shaves the dog off I just assumed they were after a neat and tidy look but more, to stop irritating the dog. And yep that is exactly how I get rid of the hair from between the toes (which is what the OP asked about ) from both top and bottom of paw. Further back in the pads I clip.

Thanks everyone for the help...Clyde, I tried doing what you said, but the hairy bits won't push up between the toes because of the skin "webbing" in between his toes!? You're right, I'm just after tidying up his feet - I've never seen the hair grow so long there before.....I'll PM you if that's OK... :)

I have a cordless clipper with adjustable blade that I use for feet now. Its awesome! I can get right in between the toes of dogs that get matts, and it gives a really neat finish.

Rysup, what sort of clippers? Brand? Size? I have a good pair of Wahls which I clip him with but I don't think the blades would fit down in between his toes? What about those very narrow clippers - would they work perhaps?? Thanks for your help :)

Seeing that our groomer moved,we have to do our own cutting now laugh.gif

I was just thinking about you and Lani yesterday! Was wondering how you got on with a new groomer and your 'Lani Styling'.

Not too bad.....but not the same as you!

We went quite short but not shaved.It's much easier to check for ticks now. And she seems to like it :laugh:

Kept her ears and tail but feathers trimmed and thinned.

hope all si well with you