Picking German Shepherd Puppy From Litter.

NewGsdOwner

Sorry for the late reply guys, just finished work not long ago, so I haven't had a chance to give a response. I am very happy with the health of both parents, they have passed their hip and elbow tests, and are both breed surveyed class 1 dogs. I haven't had a chance to visit the pups, like I said I will visit them in two weeks when they will be just over 6 weeks old. From what I have gathered from the experience of people in this thread, in terms of pigmentation, I should be looking for dark toes/feet, dark pigmentation around the nose, lips, and eye areas. I, honestly can't wait to go see the pups, the new house I've moved into has a sort of empty feeling, and I have a feeling the pup will change that :laugh:. I appreciate the input of everybody in this thread, and any addiotional information will be much appreciated.

Regards;

Thomas.

Congratulation on getting a new GSD pup.

Just out of interest who is standing Vegas at stud? German Shepherds were part of my life years ago and I still love and admire them greatly although I don't share my life with one at present.

Thanks for that Volhard test link gsdog2, it looks very interesting, and I will make sure to research it before I pick the little guy up. By looking at your picture, your dog seems to have a nice dark mask. It looks beautiful. Is there anything you saw as a puppy, that indicated he would have a good mask, or was it just pure luck?

To tell you the truth it was just pure luck as I was looking for a dog suitable for trialling - so looks weren't really an issue.

She was replacing (not that they ever 'replace') a fairly tall, shortcoat, light coloured female I'd lost that was 11yrs of age. I was not looking for a longhair either :)

As far as colour is concerned she is totally her dad - dark with a lot of red. She's nearly 3 and if anything seems to be getting darker. She has her fathers drive but she can also be very gentle which is all her mum.

Everytime I get a new GSD (over the last 30yrs) I know it won't replace the last one, and they never do. On the other hand they have a whole new personality and I fall in love with the new addition all over again - and I'm sure that no matter which pup you choose you will love it too :)

Sounds like you want either a black and gold or black and tan dog.

Just tell the breeder what you want and I'm sure you will be very happy, pups will change a little colour wise which is only natural. My boy is black and tan and my beautiful girl who I lost to cancer just over a month ago was a red sable.

When my girl was a pup she was a fawn colour with a black face and little black tip on her tail, as she started to grow all the colours started to come through.

GSD's are wonderful dogs and you get out of the dog what you put into him or her,they leave an everlasting impression on you.

Vegas von Dongmaran is standing at stud in Sydney with John and Lee Martens.

I don't think any of Vegas' progeny are old enough to X-ray as yet. I think Paul and Daphne Murray have about his oldest progeny and I am pretty sure the puppies are not old enough yet, but will be very soon.

From a Uras v Trafalga daughter you should get good dark pigment and colour, I saw Vegas when he first came to Australia when he was on view at the GSD National last year 2010, just after he came out of quarantine, he was a darkly pigmented dog them but I haven't had a chance to see him since.

I don't think any of Vegas' progeny are old enough to X-ray as yet. I think Paul and Daphne Murray have about his oldest progeny and I am pretty sure the puppies are not old enough yet, but will be very soon.

I've got a Vegas daughter from Schaeferhund, her and her sister have both been through their xrays with excellent scores.

Have a look at this page http://schaeferhundkennels.com/xilly/xilly.html

to see Questa and Quanta - you will notice their mother is quite pale but the girls have stayed well coloured. Its not a recent photo of Questa, but Quanta's is up to date

It is very much a gamble regarding this. Vegas is a nice dark boy himself and is passing this on to his offspring- however you need to keep the motherlines in mind too. I agree with Pav Lova, look for dark facial pigment nose, around the eyes etc.

Heidley, the motherlines are very good with Uras Von Trafalga being the grandfather. Uras provides very good pigment to his progeny as I have heard and seen personally. Have you encountered any Vegas progeny yourself? The only ones I have seen are all very young, so I can't get a good assessment through that. So dark facial p[igment, dark nose, and eyes are what I should be looking for! Thanks for your input, if you have any other recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Thomas!

I have a Vegas daughter who is 8 months old, she has nice black coat and dark pigment- she doesn't have a very dark mask but she is stunning and has a superb temperament. We just love her to bits. Uras has some nice dark progeny, even some of his grandkids have that too from what I've seen.

Enjoy your pup and pop into the GSD thread we love pics.

I've got a Vegas daughter from Schaeferhund, her and her sister have both been through their xrays with excellent scores.

Have a look at this page http://schaeferhundkennels.com/xilly/xilly.html

to see Questa and Quanta - you will notice their mother is quite pale but the girls have stayed well coloured. Its not a recent photo of Questa, but Quanta's is up to date

Hey freundhund and thanks for your reply. Your girl looks glamorous! Her mother isn't dark at all, yet she is nothing like her. This must show that Vegas is a strong producer, I will do some more research and hopefully come to a conclusion soon.

Thomas.

I love a dog with beautiful colour but above and beyond that I would prefer a dog

to be hale hearty healthy and the most importantly have a temperment that surpasses I really think colour would be the last on the list.

I love a dog with beautiful colour but above and beyond that I would prefer a dog

to be hale hearty healthy and the most importantly have a temperment that surpasses I really think colour would be the last on the list.

Hi, KoE and thanks for your response. I hope you didn't misinterpret my query. I would definitely agree that a healthy and happy pup is much more important than colour. I have done my research on the kennel, and I am very happy with the protocols the breeder takes, such as testing for hip and elbow dysplasia, breed surveying both the sire and the dam, and also being registered breeders adhering to the protocols of the German Shepherd Council of Australia, I just think that if I'm getting a puppy that is healthy and happy, why not look for a trait that I find desirable and impressive.

NewGSDOwner, you have certainly done your homework, well done!

As you said, with all things being equal, there is no reason not to go for something that you prefer. Just be aware that the breeder may make the final decision on the right puppy for your circumstances, but if you get a choice, have fun!

I have had contact with a number of Vegas progeny and they all seem to have lovely temperaments. I have also met Vegas's father, Yerom, in Germany and he is a lovely dog with a good work ethic. :thumbsup:

All you can do is pick the darkest puppy now and hope that he retains his pigment as he matures. But if not, ce le vie! I'm sure you'll continue to love him anyway. :D

Edited by Miss Danni

NewGSDOwner, you have certainly done your homework, well done!

As you said, with all things being equal, there is no reason not to go for something that you prefer. Just be aware that the breeder may make the final decision on the right puppy for your circumstances, but if you get a choice, have fun!

I have had contact with a number of Vegas progeny and they all seem to have lovely temperaments. I have also met Vegas's father, Yerom, in Germany and he is a lovely dog with a good work ethic. :thumbsup:

All you can do is pick the darkest puppy now and hope that he retains his pigment as he matures. But if not, ce le vie! I'm sure you'll continue to love him anyway. :D

Thanks Miss Danni,I have spoken with the breeder and she has given me her recommendations about what pups would turn out to be the darkest in her opinion, so that is an added plus!

Thanks for your tips by the way, it is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the late reply guys, just finished work not long ago, so I haven't had a chance to give a response. I am very happy with the health of both parents, they have passed their hip and elbow tests, and are both breed surveyed class 1 dogs. I haven't had a chance to visit the pups, like I said I will visit them in two weeks when they will be just over 6 weeks old. From what I have gathered from the experience of people in this thread, in terms of pigmentation, I should be looking for dark toes/feet, dark pigmentation around the nose, lips, and eye areas. I, honestly can't wait to go see the pups, the new house I've moved into has a sort of empty feeling, and I have a feeling the pup will change that :laugh:. I appreciate the input of everybody in this thread, and any addiotional information will be much appreciated.

Regards;

Thomas.

If you don't plan on showing, have you considered a working line GSD, they are dark pigment, dark faced by general default?