Barking!

Stack

She continues to bark because it is somehow rewarding for her...i.e. she gets human attention when she does it - and if you have been giving attention when she barks it's going to be really hard to break the habbit now but of course you can try.

Sleeping inside in a crate would solve your issues though.

• 2 weeks later...

Leave the dog inside to sleep, tell your husband this is how it will be from now on, and enjoy your happy, quiet dog. She's part of the family, she wants to be inside with her family.

At 5 months, she is too young for a shock collar.

So what's happened?

Our dogs are crated at night, but they are fed and given bones in there, so it's good place to stay - something to keep in mind. But I have DOGS not one, they do need company. Even if you have a crate in the house where it can hear you might help. But if you do bring it in stick to your guns in the decission of where it sleeps in the house. Place it there once and that's where it stays with no visits.

Sorry but if it was my husband a short sharp jab to the ribs each time the dog wimpered will change his mind quickly. It's his decission the dog sleeps outside, and I gather he agreed to get the dog, so let him share the joys of the dog being outside. :laugh:

So what's happened?

Our dogs are crated at night, but they are fed and given bones in there, so it's good place to stay - something to keep in mind. But I have DOGS not one, they do need company. Even if you have a crate in the house where it can hear you might help. But if you do bring it in stick to your guns in the decission of where it sleeps in the house. Place it there once and that's where it stays with no visits.

Sorry but if it was my husband a short sharp jab to the ribs each time the dog wimpered will change his mind quickly. It's his decission the dog sleeps outside, and I gather he agreed to get the dog, so let him share the joys of the dog being outside. :laugh:

Priceless :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I have got two 1 year old Kelpie pups, we tried to sleep them outside from about 4 months and the first two nights was all barking at everything. we brought them inside and it stopped, we did have to put them in the bathroom though so they wouldnt rip the house apart.

we ended up buying a xxxL crate for them to sleep in, you can get them from ebay and they also have canvas crate covers to suit.

this worked well until they started growing and one wanting her own space and the other wanting to cuddle up at night.............dog fight inside a metal crate. this was at about 10 months old.

since then we bought two 42 inch canvas crates from online, (i think we paid about $60), so they could have their own space,we kept them inside for about 2 week until they got used to them, then we put them outside and we havent had a drama with them barking since......however...one of them likes to chew things, and decided to chew both zippers of both the crates leaving them pretty useless to secure them.

SO, now we have just bought 2x 42 inch metal crates with canvas covers to suit, we sleep them both outstide and dont have a problem with them. i paid about $70 each for the crate and about $30 each for the covers.

We have a baby due at the end of Jan and, in the last 2 months, moved the dogs to solely outside dogs and so long as they have a secure place that they can use as a safe place, they seem fine.

hope this helps

We had huge problems with our Keeshond puppy. We tried ignoring him but had the same problem with neighbours complaining, we tried crate training, spray collars, zap collars, we even had Bark Busters come out and they eventually ran out of tricks. The only thing that works for us is a muzzle, we feel awful each time we put it on him but it does work. Your pup may still bark with the muzzle on but as it's such hard work for them they will only give one or two barks then stop. We only have it on him at night, as he doesn't bark that much during the day and it's not such a problem for the neighbours. Good luck, I know how stressful this can be and I hope you find something that works.

The only thing that works for us is a muzzle, we feel awful each time we put it on him but it does work. Your pup may still bark with the muzzle on but as it's such hard work for them they will only give one or two barks then stop.

Stopping a puppy barking using this method could kill your dog.

Pups/dogs do not sweat to keep cool .

they breathe in air rapidly , hang the tongue out and air cools as it travels over the moist tongue /mouth .

if a puppy finds it hard work to open his mouth a couple of seconds to bark... then how much hard work must it be to KEEP his mouth open to breathe in cool air? :( :(

If your pup can not pant , then there is the real possibility he will die from heat stress.....or become anxious and suffer other problems.

If this is true, then what you are doing is cruel, IMO.

If you want to help your pup, and yourself,and have honestly tried all the methods mentioned correctly I recommend investing in a professional who is trained and experienced - something which some franchise staff are possibly lacking.

Contact THIS PERSON ...for professional help.

Edited by persephone

Thank you for the link Persephone, I will look in to getting Kathy's help.

Please don't view me as an irresponsible pet owner, we tried everything within our power to get him to stop barking and when the only choices we had were re-homing him or getting a muzzle we went for the muzzle. It is a soft mesh/elastic muzzle so he can pant and open his mouth with it on, he can even drink it is just hard for him to open it wide to bark. I should also mention he is a year old now.

Please don't view me as an irresponsible pet owner, we tried everything within our power to get him to stop barking and when the only choices we had were re-homing him or getting a muzzle we went for the muzzle. It is a soft mesh/elastic muzzle so he can pant and open his mouth with it on, he can even drink it is just hard for him to open it wide to bark. I should also mention he is a year old now.

Edit because I can't read LOL sorry Bear&Duke :-)

Edited by mumof4girls

Guest lavendergirl

You said in your opening post that he doesn't bark inside, I know your husband doesn't want him "inside" but seriously what is the problem with him being in say the laundry or the garage? The only choice other than muzzling him is rehoming him, I think that is sad and I think your husband is being a little unreasonable sorry, if he can be inside sometimes then what is the problem I just don't get it....

Bear and Duke is not the original OP :)