Vet Bedding

murmarstaffs

I use the green backed Vetbed for whelping box with newspaper underneath. When the pups pee it drains beautifully and keeps nice and dry. No chills. I guess with bigger breeds and more pups this will be double important.

Some have stated that the rubber back does not drain through as well and is better as a floor/day bed as it is non slip, but most (of the rubber backed) I've seen perish in a short time anyway.

I think larger breeds tend to use a whelping box with no floors due to the massive size and ease of moving etc.

Putting down some tarp or lino is a great idea.

My OH built my box out of Kitchen cupboard 'cut offs' which are waterproof. But my girls are little.

Why no floor for everyone? Also if you don't have a floor and it is on carpet how do you prevent the carpet being ruined? Our house is tiny so if the whelping box is in the loungeroom or our bedroom it is going to be on carpet. As mentioned before, the house is tiny and our bedroom is also tiny so I don't have the space to put a piece of lino down and the whelping box on top in such a way that there wouldn't be a risk of it slipping off the lino and then possibly ruining the carpet.

Put down lots of newspaper then the vet bed on top of the paper then the box without a floor on top of the vet bed then to stop it slipping shove some heavy bricks around the sides. :)

I bought 2 green backed vet bedding from Kenol in Vic. the lady was very good. had mine cut to size. my only dislike is i bought a sky blue and a purple one, the blue one for some reason after 'umpteen' washes still felt 'harder' (sorry thats the best way i can explain it) than the purple one which became nice and softer and felt better, so if i was ever to buy another one again i would stick with purple. I found them to be excellent in the first 3 weeks but now it is too hot up here in QLd to use. I will probably use them in my crates when winter comes next year.

we do have a floor in our box. i bought 4 smallish tarps from bunnings and have been rotating them then apply the bedding on top. Now my pups are nearly 4 weeks and its much hotter, i just use towels and a small sheepskin at night and kylie mats (these are used in nursing homes and hospitals for incontinent people) but if it was cooler i would definately stick with the vet bedding.

my whelping box is on carpet now, as i moved into our lounge this week (can not sleep in our fam room anymore!!!)

I have GSPs and a fibreglass whelping box that is 120x120 that I got from the hydrobath people. It is only just big enough and I really wouldn't have wanted my litter to be much bigger (Mia had 7). The advantage is that I just take it outside, hose it out, whack in some disinfectant and then give it a towel dry. In my next house (which will be ours) I may look at another set up but this time around this is what was easiest and easiest to keep clean and fresh smellling!

We used vet bed with plenty of newspaper underneath and also bought from peperone. We bought two pieces of green back and one of rubber (we thought we'd have some on hand just in case Mia decided to dig or pups decided to dig!) The rubber back took much longer to dry (we had a winter litter and would take at least all day in the sun (in QLD!!)) It was also harder to fold up and put in the washing machine. We haven't had it disintegrate at all but it probably didn't drain as well as the green back. I did like it for in the back of the car after the litter as it doens't slip around on the carpet (not that the green back does much) and when the pups were a bit older and 'moving the furniture it took them a bit longer to move it around. Overall I preferred the green back, quicker to dry and easier to put in the washing machine (we have a font loader) but my girl also wasn't a digger so I didn't have problems with that either.

Well... My whelping box is 140 x 140 and has no bottom. I have lino then tarp then newspaper then vet bed. I got rubber backed vet bed because I couldnt get the green back that I wanted and I have cut the vet bed up into smaller squares 60 x 60 so they are easier for me to wash. :thumbsup:

My whelping box has a floor and I just got some lino and cut to size easy! :thumbsup: Then I get some off cuts of carpet and cut them to size so I can take out and clean put new one and then I put the vet bed down. Very easy to keep clean. :)

I got my vetbed at Great Rugs when I was at a show.

Edited by Belljari

Well... My whelping box is 140 x 140 and has no bottom. I have lino then tarp then newspaper then vet bed. I got rubber backed vet bed because I couldnt get the green back that I wanted and I have cut the vet bed up into smaller squares 60 x 60 so they are easier for me to wash. :thumbsup:

Nevafollo - Yes I noticed that in the photo you posted. They were very creatively mixed and colourfully combined! :laugh:

I could see they were rubber backed (the rubber backed has the paws on it) or I would have wondered about slippage in the divide and 'lost' puppies underneath.

Bjazld - I notice with the green backed (on all colours) that the more you wash it the more softer and like a blanket they get. So far I have had Pale Blue, Pink and Mauve.

Nevafollo - Yes I noticed that in the photo you posted. They were very creatively mixed and colourfully combined! :laugh:

I could see they were rubber backed (the rubber backed has the paws on it) or I would have wondered about slippage in the divide and 'lost' puppies underneath.

Bjazld - I notice with the green backed (on all colours) that the more you wash it the more softer and like a blanket they get. So far I have had Pale Blue, Pink and Mauve.

I dont think I will have any trouble with lost pointees under the vet bed :laugh:

It definately looked colourful in the picture :D

I just got cuteness from the fat lady, shes so over it she is using her pig rails as a pillow :)

I have a 15++ year Kenol heated whelping box. LizT's OH deigned hers on mine.

It is heavy. Actually I must get it back from Sunbury.

I am borrowing a bigger one for Zarah. I looked at the Vet at Kenol today.

I have the rubberbacked which I cut to size for the box so got 2 pieces. I found it dries quite quickly either outside on on the clothes horse over the heating ducts.

I think that it may take a while to dry in Qld because it is steamy and it retains moisture as part of its properties.