Joint And/or Muscle Soreness

hello :)

can someone please recommend a joint supplement? i've looked at several on the market, quite expensive, so i wish not to make any buying errors so as to avoid delay in providing my baby girl some relief.

bella has very slight luxation in her left back leg --- no limping or skipping; that that it was noted by her vet...

it's not quite a recommendation but i'm told that a joint supplement would be okay for every dog!

firstly, both my dogs have had a yeast burden that i've been treating for the past month or so, so bella's licking and munching, i thought, was residual *sadly*

over the past week or so i've noticed that she's paid much attention to her inner left thigh and along the bone edge, and only in the past few days have i actually noticed that she's munched away the fur on her outer left thigh --- i'm a tad upset over this because it means, i believe, that she's in some kind of discomfort...

yesterday as she rested on her right side, she repositioned her left back leg a number of times and it occasionally jerked --- without humanising that behaviour, that indicates to me that her left back leg is giving her some pain...

dogs are resilient creatures so it was no surprise that she showed no discomfort when i massaged her thigh, but she did tend to jerk it away from my hand...

she also kicks spasmodically when i scratch that side of her lower tummy --- is that indicative!?!?

i've read where some dog owners give their dogs human glucosamine [sp!??!] and i have access to that but i'd prefer to give her a product that is designed to be metabolised by dogs...

in your experience, what's the best product?

thanks

Hmn... you're obviously very observant SnF :) Hard to know - I'm a Joint Guard convert from way back and I think it gave my dogs good relief - but it is expensive. In fact I can't think of a joint supplement that isn't. The only way to get Joint Guard at a semi-reasonable price is to hunt around, bite the bullet and buy the 750g tub if at possible - the best price I can find with a quick scoot around is here - and Trent is very good. However a couple of ebay sellers are competitive as well.

There are a couple of other supplements around as well - but I don't know as much about them - maybe someone else will jump in.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by westiemum

I'm a fan of Joint Guard too. Tried Sasha's Blend but returned to the Joint Guard. Have you checked that your dog hasn't got an allergy? The attention to the leg area and biting the hair from the thigh could indicate an allergy, worth checking.

thanks for the replies :)

Hmn... you're obviously very observant SnF :) Hard to know - I'm a Joint Guard convert from way back and I think it gave my dogs good relief - but it is expensive. In fact I can't think of a joint supplement that isn't. The only way to get Joint Guard at a semi-reasonable price is to hunt around, bite the bullet and buy the 750g tub if at possible - the best price I can find with a quick scoot around is here - and Trent is very good. However a couple of ebay sellers are competitive as well.

There are a couple of other supplements around as well - but I don't know as much about them - maybe someone else will jump in.

Hope that helps :)

thanks for the link :) and i'll check out ebay [i never think of checking there until someone mentions it!] --- i'd heard joint guard was popular and it comes in no-scent/taste powdered form also, so it's less of a strain administering it...

I'm a fan of Joint Guard too. Tried Sasha's Blend but returned to the Joint Guard. Have you checked that your dog hasn't got an allergy? The attention to the leg area and biting the hair from the thigh could indicate an allergy, worth checking.

thanks and yeah, i had considered that it's an allergy --- both my dogs lick, nibble and munch and i've been aware of that behaviour for some time, but this seems different somehow in that it's localised and she's persistent in that same area [and it's not an areas where yeast would normally persist]...

i am not sure either whether the behaviour, in both dogs, is not behaviour-related and if it is, it would seem that i have failed dismally with the 'distraction method' :(