Heat Cycles And Pregnancy

EmiLeigh

Two questions:

1. Should I be worried if my 14 month old pup hasn't been in heat yet? She is a large breed.

2. Would a dog be showing signs of pregnancy only 18 days after mating - including swollen breasts, tiredness, and tiny amounts of milk - or is it more likely to be a phantom pregnancy? I have only known milk to be a late sign. She wasn't mated, but breifly got out the yard while on heat after our fence fell over :( We want to desex her, but with signs like this I guess we can't go ahead with the desexing.

Two questions:

1. Should I be worried if my 14 month old pup hasn't been in heat yet? She is a large breed.

2. Would a dog be showing signs of pregnancy only 18 days after mating - including swollen breasts, tiredness, and tiny amounts of milk - or is it more likely to be a phantom pregnancy? I have only known milk to be a late sign. She wasn't mated, but breifly got out the yard while on heat after our fence fell over :( We want to desex her, but with signs like this I guess we can't go ahead with the desexing.

1. It's not uncommon for large/giant breeds to have their first season well after 12 months of age.

2. It is possible for a bitch that has been mated (espcially a maiden bitch) to show signs of pregnancy quite early on however the same can be said for phantom pregnancies.

There is no reason not to take her to Vet now and have her desexed, please do so.

Two questions:

1. It's not uncommon for large/giant breeds to have their first season well after 12 months of age.

2. It is possible for a bitch that has been mated (espcially a maiden bitch) to show signs of pregnancy quite early on however the same can be said for phantom pregnancies.

There is no reason not to take her to Vet now and have her desexed, please do so.

She will be desexed. I am just concerned that if she is pregnant desexing while pregnant would be less than ideal. Or is that still possible since she it is so early? We can't have puppies now, I am pregnant myself and due any day so I am hoping she is simply sympathising with me :laugh: otherwise we get a scan done now just to be sure, and wait until we have settled with the new baby before we put her through surgery (but before she goes on heat).

Two questions:

She will be desexed. I am just concerned that if she is pregnant desexing while pregnant would be less than ideal. Or is that still possible since she it is so early? We can't have puppies now, I am pregnant myself and due any day so I am hoping she is simply sympathising with me :laugh: otherwise we get a scan done now just to be sure, and wait until we have settled with the new baby before we put her through surgery (but before she goes on heat).

So do you have two bitches (ie. one who hasn't yet come into season and the other who has and may have been mated)?

If you have one bitch then she was either in season or not and got out?

She is a giant breed and far too young to be having a litter, please have her desexed now rather than later. There's no reason to put it off, you've got a baby on the way and things are only going to become more hectic. If you have her done now (ie. this week or next) then it will be over and done with and forgotten and you won't have the worry of a bitch in season.

I really can't be any clearer - have her desexed :)

ETA: Yes even if she is pregant, she can still be desexed (adn the earlier on the better).

Edited by Aziah

Two questions:

So do you have two bitches (ie. one who hasn't yet come into season and the other who has and may have been mated)?

If you have one bitch then she was either in season or not and got out?

She is a giant breed and far too young to be having a litter, please have her desexed now rather than later. There's no reason to put it off, you've got a baby on the way and things are only going to become more hectic. If you have her done now (ie. this week or next) then it will be over and done with and forgotten and you won't have the worry of a bitch in season.

I really can't be any clearer - have her desexed :)

ETA: Yes even if she is pregant, she can still be desexed (adn the earlier on the better).

Yes two bitches.

Ok, I was under the impression from a friend working for a vet that a good vet wouldn't do desex while a dog was pregnant, so thought I should ask.

Take the bitch in and have her speyed now. There's no harm in doing so. I've heard a few people make excuses and say that vets won't do it, but I've never come across one who won't.

A good vet will desex a pregnant bitch and it's preferable to an unwanted litter.

If you do not want to desex her now, then take her to the vet and have her injected with alizin, it's an abortion drug and can be used up to 42 days. The earlier that is done, the better. It's two injections 24 hours apart but to be honest if she's not a pedigree dog that you intend to breed later, you may as well just desex her now and be done with it. The alizin would probably cost you half of what it would to desex anyway.

Of course it's preferable to desex when not pregnant but vets will still do it and it is far better than having an unwanted, unknown litter of pups you then need to find homes for.

I would have her desexed immediately, and if the other one isn't done yet keep her inside when she is in season so this doesn't happen again. Best of luck.

Thanks everyone.

She is all booked in to be desexed on Friday. The vets were so nice and gave us a discount. They said it may only cost about $130 extra if she is pregnant. Better this way than to wait to get a scan anyway, which wouldn't show much yet and would cost about the same amount.

Thanks for letting me know that was an option :)

(and the fence is getting fixed properly next week :D )