Puppy Wont Go Out To Toilet When Wet!

ninoid12

Hi all!

I have a 5 month old Deerhound bitch 'Winter' who has been fully toilet trained since around 3mths. However, the past week and a bit, it has been raining a LOT!!!! and she has decided she wont go outside in the courtyard to toilet.

The courtyard is covered, but the water from the yard and neighbours etc drains into it so the concrete still ends up wet. not all of it, but a lot of it and especially where she exits the laundry to enter the courtyard. No rain/water from above though.

She has peed and pooed about 4 or 5 times inside so far and its driving us bonkers. We haven't caught her yet so cannot chastise and bolt her out. She has done it when we are not at home, as well as when we are at home but in another room.

I have been using the toilet spray on the wet/poo patches to discourage her to go back (worked when toilet training her as a youngster) but she just chooses another spot)

I have also tried taking her out regularly and after naps/meals etc like she was just learning. Nothing is working.

Winter and her big brother Jack are used to toileting in the courtyard. there have been no problems regarding this. The laundry door is kept open for them to go out whenever they want and there are beds and a big water bowl out there.

My OH is getting shitty about it and I'm getting frustrated. Any tips or ideas???

Hi all!

I have a 5 month old Deerhound bitch 'Winter' who has been fully toilet trained since around 3mths. However, the past week and a bit, it has been raining a LOT!!!! and she has decided she wont go outside in the courtyard to toilet.

The courtyard is covered, but the water from the yard and neighbours etc drains into it so the concrete still ends up wet. not all of it, but a lot of it and especially where she exits the laundry to enter the courtyard. No rain/water from above though.

She has peed and pooed about 4 or 5 times inside so far and its driving us bonkers. We haven't caught her yet so cannot chastise and bolt her out. She has done it when we are not at home, as well as when we are at home but in another room.

I have been using the toilet spray on the wet/poo patches to discourage her to go back (worked when toilet training her as a youngster) but she just chooses another spot)

I have also tried taking her out regularly and after naps/meals etc like she was just learning. Nothing is working.

Winter and her big brother Jack are used to toileting in the courtyard. there have been no problems regarding this. The laundry door is kept open for them to go out whenever they want and there are beds and a big water bowl out there.

My OH is getting shitty about it and I'm getting frustrated. Any tips or ideas???

Hopefully when the weather clears she will go back to toileting in the courtyard :( .

My puppy is doing her business on the verandah rather than going out on the grass for the same reasons.

I figure I will wait until the weather is better and the grass is dry, and focus on the problem then if it continues.

I hope the problem soughts it self out for you :thumbsup: .

My dog went through this as well. I fixed the problem by going out in the rain with him and using his wee command until he went. Sometimes I still have to do this at night, he won't go to the toilet until I go and stand on the grass with him.

So when you take her out after naps and meals, does she do her business and then still have some in reserve for inside the house or is she not going outside when you do this?

You have a concrete courtyard. I also just have a concrete courtyard and I went to Bunnings and bought fake turf in tiles that click together. This was my saving grace in toilet training. He took to it immediately. When it is raining I take him outside and hold the umbrella over him lol

Umbrella! LOL. Haven't got to that stage yet. Mind you, I have to put my little whippet princess's raincoat on before she'll go out in bad weather. Then she looks so reproachfully at me while insisting on going in her usual grassy spot. Boys are tougher - they just do a fast run out as far as the concrete & an even faster one back in.

That is a good idea IggyLover! She never fusses when its dry but maybe this will help when its wet? Worth a shot!

She sometimes goes when i take her out, sometimes not. Depends if its just after a meal/nap or whether im randomly taking her out (less chance them but sometimes happens). I will keep on top of this, and treat her lots when its wet and she goes to the toilet outside.

Im hoping that she will grow out of this phase. She is quite naughty at the moment and tests us a lot (mouthing us, barking etc) but we keep the training up to her and don't let her get away with nonsense. She will hopefully pull through ok lol.

Start off going out with her when it toilet time.

Stay with her and when she does go, lots of praise and in a higher pitch voice, saying good wee wee, good wee wee(or your chosen words).

Do this over and over.

Then make the distance between you and her further each time, but praise each time she goes to the loo.

Eventually you'll be inside and telling her, go do wee wee from in the house.

She'll even go in the rain as she's getting the praise she craves.

Good luck

Sharon

yep... I think now is a good time for HER to start deciding how much affection she gets in her day !

How?

by you changing her way of behaving to N I L F (nothing In Life Is Free)

She only gets praise/pats/love when she is behaving in a way which is appropriate. :)

When she is playing nice..she gets love & games.

When she sits/lies down ..gets told how beautiful she is

When she comes when called , she gets cuddled

When she toilets on command , she gets a mad minute of praise..

get the idea ??

Any other time ,she gets nothing .. no need to cuddle her/praise her for just being alive... but EVERY time she is behaving , then you must pay her a compliment . That way .. she learns very quickly that if she wants a pat, or nice words, or a cuddle or game ..she behaves in a certain way.

That way ,SHE does decide how much affection/cuddling/praise she gets each day ...

My dogs do not get choices . If it's wet, we still go out ... will she go for a walk on lead in the rain?make it fun .. play ball outside in the rain.. go for a long walk .. she really needs to get used to different weather conditions .

She will learn, as mine have, that you do NOT come back indoors to the warm/dry until you have toileted .No negotiation will be entered into ;)

My baby puppy girl is a princess when its wet too, as is my older Cavie bitch. They both refuse to go on the grass and instead have learnt to lean off the step, not putting a foot out in the rain, and the deposits fall right beside it down onto the grass!

After a run of bad weather that step area stink!

The boys aren't much better, i have one that just goes inside on the lino, and another who bolts out, quickly goes, but so quick he needs to go out five minutes later to repeat the process!