Different Play Styles

poochiemama

spider tends to freak people out when he plays. he plays roughish but its the noise factor that gets people concerned. he is so ridiculously vocal it sounds like he is ripping the other dog to shreds! but since i have had him he has always played like this. it has only really freaked one dog out at a dog park that turned and tried to bite him (same dog tore into another regular soon after causing the need for vet treatment, so im guessing it was that dogs issue?) listening to him with luna is hilarious cause she is dead silent and he is all grrrs and barks

spider tends to freak people out when he plays. he plays roughish but its the noise factor that gets people concerned. he is so ridiculously vocal it sounds like he is ripping the other dog to shreds! but since i have had him he has always played like this. it has only really freaked one dog out at a dog park that turned and tried to bite him (same dog tore into another regular soon after causing the need for vet treatment, so im guessing it was that dogs issue?) listening to him with luna is hilarious cause she is dead silent and he is all grrrs and barks

Lili is very vocal too. Mosley doesn't make a sound but she sounds like a little rabid monster! :eek:

My dog (a dobe x rottie) sounds like a bear when he plays, but they're very different noises from like his guarding growl etc. He plays quite rough with his friends, and usually leads the games. What I really like about him though is that he matches himself to the other dog and does he needs to do to get them to play. If it's a playful, confident dog then he's up on his hind legs dancing around like a horse, body slamming and everything else. If it's a nervous dog, he bows down, even rolls onto his back which is really cute to see when the other dog is like a toy breed or something (my sister owns 2 papillons).

But now that he's older he's more fussy about playmates. He loves his existing friends (mostly male), but most of his new friends are female, the males he tends to ignore now. It's a bit sad sometimes, no matter how hard they try to play with him he just always seems to have something better to do, like oh, sniff a piece of grass etc. Still loves chasing whippets though...

My goldies have various play together from zoomies and chase to tackle and body slams. But my boy is the funniest as soon as he sees a person visitor he barrels round the yard tryin to find a squeaky toy, when he finds one it is full on growls mean while his ears are laid back submissive and has en entire body wag going rubbing the toy on the visitors legs and walkin into them and in front to stop them from getting away. Has visitors in stitches.

Edited by Angeluca

My dogs generally don't get herding breeds :laugh:

At an agility trial on Saturday and I was wandering around the grounds with Em. She is very focussed and would rather train than anything else but I started chatting to a fellow competitor (and one of my first instructors) who has a lovely team of drivey Kelpies. She had her youngster on lead who barked and play bowed to Em in the most enticing way. Em tried her submissive Springer belly crawl but they just didn't understand each other :laugh: Finally Em started barking and play bowing and crawling but the Kelpie had lost interest by then...very amusing for the onlookers as well.

The same lady had her old Kelpie in the exercise area and I was there with Ziggy as well. She was quite concerned as the old girl likes 4 dogs in the entire world. Not anymore - Zig is number 5 :thumbsup: This lovely little dog bounded up to Ziggy, play bowed and then did the old dog equivalent of puppy zoomies :rofl: So adorable and Zig has another to add to his harem.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I find that same breeds tend to stick together in playing even if they just meet for the first time, they also play as rough as they want, because they know they have the same hardware.

That's really interesting. I always heard people say that about their dogs, but I haven't met many other dobermans, and of the handful I have met, only 1 was playful. The rest were either ball obsessed and couldn't see my dog, dog and sometimes human aggressive or super serious. Now when my dog sees dobermans he doesn't seem anymore interested in them than any other dog. He does seem to have a thing for shepherd females. German and now Belgian too...