Possible Vaccination Reaction?

poochmad

On Thursday Jindi had her annual vaccination including C5. On Friday morning she had a runny poo and but ate her chicken neck. Came home to find her her usual bouncy self, but that night she was in and out vomiting and doing projectile poos (have never seen anything like it). She was drinking plenty of water. Gave her a small meal and she later went outside and threw it up. This morning she was her usual bouncy self, but she turned her nose up at the chicken (which is extremly unlike her as she is just a garbage guts) and when we came home after being out for 2 hours she had thrown up again (grass and brown stuff). Will not be giving her anything tonight and will be taking her to the vet tomorrow.

Do you think it's a reaction to the vaccine as she has never been like this before and she is such a good eater, always with solid poos.

Edited by poochmad

It could be a tummy bug picked up from the vets? ... our oldest recently had projectile vomiting and the runs. He seemed fine in himself and was eating normally but then all of the sudden it would happen. I took him to the vets (because I am a worrier) and he was given some injections and was fine.

My youngest got a bit of a temperature, the runs, vomitting, stiff joints and it looked like his feet hurt when he walked when he had a reaction to his second injection - I panicked because he was such a little thing. Vet said it wasn't a reaction but a tummy bug. He got a needle for the vomitting, antiobiotics, and rested and he quickly recovered - he lost 1.3 kg in 3 days.

Thanks Rachiie. She's feeling a bit better now. Gave her some fresh chicken (5 pieces) and no reaction. Won't take her to the vet, but will discuss with them her reaction next time. I still believe it's related to the vaccine.

Edited by poochmad

Nasty reactions can happen from vaccinations - I have ended up with cats in hospital on oxygen and a drip following a vaccine reaction. And a friend lost her standard poodle to one. Perhaps you need to consider titre testing rather than vaccination when she is next due. Certainly worth looking at the AVA vaccine guidelines and reducing vaccinations to the minimum required.

Guest english.ivy

Nasty reactions can happen from vaccinations - I have ended up with cats in hospital on oxygen and a drip following a vaccine reaction. And a friend lost her standard poodle to one. Perhaps you need to consider titre testing rather than vaccination when she is next due. Certainly worth looking at the AVA vaccine guidelines and reducing vaccinations to the minimum required.

+1

Yes, she's fine now.

We spoke to the vet and agreed it was a reaction. He has made a note in her file and will give her a different type next time. Although, we are looking at not putting our dogs in kennels in the future (i.e. having someone at our house to look after them instead), so we may not get the C5 now.

My Cav boy had a nasty reaction to his 16 month C5 Booster. He had projectile diarrhoea like I'd never seen before. Vet prescribed Metronidazole if I remember rightly. He came good within a couple of days. He's 7 1/2yo now and I've never vaccinated him again.

He coped with the puppy vaccinations ok but the 16 month booster was a shocker. If we have an outbreak of Parvo in the area I'll vacc. him with Parvac killed virus, but never again with an attenuated live vaccine.

My Cav girl had no after effects of the vaccination but the C5 vaccination itself caused her some distress. She was whining and rolling around on her back on the floor for a couple of minutes. It must have been stinging. Strangely the vet vaccinated her near the rump instead of the usual back of the neck. She's never been vaccinated since and she's now almost 6 1/2yo.