Dogs Bane Or Repel Dog

Joan of Arc

We are planting out a new garden and although we have Labradors they are nowhere near as destructive as one little white clumber spaniel. :angel:

Our nursery sell a plant called Dogbane and tells me it is supposed to ward off or repel dogs....

I was just wondering if anyone here had used it before or has heard of it and how well it does or does not work....pointless paying all that money if it is just something else for her to rip out of the garden :banghead:

My (ex)mother in law planted dogbane in her garden everywhere and had just finished telling me how well it kept dogs away when my Cocker Spaniel went and rolled on it and seemed to enjoy snuffling at it without seeming to find it offensive. However dear old Basil did enjoy the smell of vile things so maybe he was an exception :laugh:

Dogbane does have a pretty flower and is very hardy so probably worth a try.

We have sold herbs for over 25 yrs now & sell the dogs bane. It is a very pretty, hardy flower in the garden & wont do your dogs any harm, but as far as repelling dogs....well...some say it does & some say it doesn't. My guys don't take much notice of it...but it sure does stink :eek:

we have it growing literly wild, up the driveway, along a couple of fence lines, out guys hate it :laugh::rofl:

1 of ours starting digging cause of the new dog next door, took some cuttings, planted it now they wont go near the fence :laugh:

Our nursery sell a plant called Dogbane and tells me it is supposed to ward off or repel dogs....

I was just wondering if anyone here had used it before or has heard of it and how well it does or does not work....pointless paying all that money if it is just something else for her to rip out of the garden :banghead:

Planted it everywhere in the house I lived in before this one.... and my old dog dug it out and chewed it :laugh:

It has a weird smell but it's quite a pretty plant for bordering and spreads quickly as well, don't think it does any dog repelling though.