Temporary Doggy Door

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

I'm moving into a townhouse this week which has a secluded courtyard so i'd like my girl to have the option to come in and out at her own wish, particularly when i'm not home so then I don't have to decide whether to leave her inside or out exclusively.

So my question is, are there doggy doors available for temporary use? I've done a bit of googling around and found one but it was $400 which is a bit exxy this time of year. Surely someone has invented this by now with the amount of people who rent with pets? Any recs?

Guest donatella

I'm only looking at the temporary inserts that fit into the screen/glass door and have the doggy bit at the bottom. I want one that makes no adjustment to the actual door (not possible renting).

Guest donatella

Yeah, some are quite expensive but I've found a Brisbane based company that have some for $125, winner. The best part is it just fits without damage so can take from house to house. Just need to size the new place up to make sure the door height is the standard 204cm

Hey d, when you have a sec would you mind PMing me the website where you found it? That's a great price! Actually you could probably even post the website, I dont think that would breach forum rules (unless they also sell non-pb dogs of course).

Thanks!

Oh and good luck with the move :)

I have a Pig in Mud dog door in my sliding door. There are heaps on threads on them.

Anway, it is the expensive one but given that I have four large dogs I wanted it to be strong. A great decision based on the way they throw themselves through it at top speed.

How do the doors work, like how do you the human get out when it is set up?

You have to crawl out thru it ;)

Just kidding, the panel fits into the door frame against the edge, top to bottom of the doorway and secures in then stays put. The sliding door then butts up against that and locks so you slide it open and closed as usual, it's just a slightly smaller opening. I think that's it anyway.

The Bunnings ones you actually have to fit in to the wooden door which means cutting a section of it out. They don't have them in their website though as I was only just trying to find them the other day to order a replacement flap. The doors they stock are made by Petz Plus.

No snook these are temporary so no cutting, you open the sliding door and the doggy door slots in, in between the door and the frame, you can step over it I guess if the opening is big enough..

The Bunnings ones you actually have to fit in to the wooden door which means cutting a section of it out. They don't have them in their website though as I was only just trying to find them the other day to order a replacement flap. The doors they stock are made by Petz Plus.

No snook these are temporary so no cutting, you open the sliding door and the doggy door slots in, in between the door and the frame, you can step over it I guess if the opening is big enough..

I don't think you can step over it?? Mine is a full height piece of door that slots into your door track. So you can use it in the glass door in the summer or sliding door in the winter. The bottom half of the door is the dog part and the top half is glass.

I would imagine that if you can step over it you may as well leave the door open?

We had a temporary doggy door at one stage. One of the expensive types and it was awful to be honest. Great idea but it didn't seem to fit into the frame properly so when the glass door went to meet up with the insert, there was a little gap meaning the lock didn't work. That and it took up too much space meaning when we opened the door, the gap to walk through was tiny. We ended up having the dead bolt the whole door shut meaning we couldn't use it for ourselves. They are a great idea, i think maybe our frame was the problem..they dogs really relied on having one so we ended up getting a real one cut into the security door instead.

I can't find the original one I saw but it was the size of a doggy door that slotted in so no glass panel above it.. I think you could possibly squeeze through if your were a rake laugh.gif

I don't think you can step over it?? Mine is a full height piece of door that slots into your door track. So you can use it in the glass door in the summer or sliding door in the winter. The bottom half of the door is the dog part and the top half is glass.

I would imagine that if you can step over it you may as well leave the door open?

I can't find the original one I saw but it was the size of a doggy door that slotted in so no glass panel above it.. I think you could possibly squeeze through if your were a rake laugh.gif

Ahhhhhh, but you still have a big piece of open door?? Why not just leave the door open?

I'm confused :D

Edited by Burkes