Mucus In The Eye

Dxenion

One of our GSDs has developed a grey jelly consistancy mucus discharge in both eyes. Each episode lasts a couple of days and then disappears. Inside the lids are a normal colour, the third eyelid operates normally and he doesn't appear to be affected by it (no rubbing or rapid blinking, normal tear secretion, temperature normal). As per vet advice, I wipe it away with a cloth and warm water, being careful not to touch the eye and also use a canine eye flush. This is now the third episode in three months. None of the other three dogs have had this.

This was the best attempt at a photo of it. Is this just a natural reaction to an eye irritant that the body is flushing? I've never seen it before and am a little worried.

Odinlefteyemucus-1.jpg

Edited to fix photo link

Edited by Dxenion

My GSD gets a lot of this from sun exposure, but there are other symptoms present (notably a black "stain", some redness, and some very minor pitting). It is well controlled with Predniferone and Tacrolimus. Your dogs eye looks otherwise clear apart from the gunk, but it's worth noting in case something develops.

One of mine also has pus/mucous in one eye and it has been re occuring. I noticed that the eye was red but put it down to her getting under the house in the dirt and dust. Thinking it was due to irritation I started washing with warm saline solution so will see what the outcome is after a few days. So far she is the only one of my crew with the symptoms.