Diarrhoea - 7 Week Old Puppy

Leema

I have a 7 week old puppy that developed diarrhoea yesterday.

Normally, I would fast a dog for a day if they had diarrhoea and then feed them dry only the next day.

Would it be okay to do this with a puppy this age?

Puppy is happy, energetic, and her normal self. This puppy is quite fat, too.

Normally, I would fast a dog for a day if they had diarrhoea and then feed them dry only the next day.

Do you know what the Diarrhoea is from??, is the food to rich, or was he just wormed??

I think as long as he gets lots of fluids he should be ok without food for a day... he can survive without food for a day but because he is loosing a lot of water from the diarrhoea he will need something to replace the minerals and fluid he is loosing.. I think there are puppy electrolyte ice blocks (like the ones for humans)

This puppy is drinking well. She likes water and playing in it, and drinks it occassionally. :laugh:

I don't know what the diarrhoea has come from. She hasn't been wormed recently and her food has stayed the same. There have been no stressful incidents.

The only thing is that I have started to let them free range around the yard a bit, so it's possible she ate something inappropriate that she found around the yard (maybe some plant or bird poo or something). This diarrhoea seems extreme if this is all that caused it, but that's the only thing I can think of.

She is still very happy and very much herself, so I'm not terribly worried. I think I'll fast her... May be good for her waistline!

This puppy is drinking well. She likes water and playing in it, and drinks it occassionally. :laugh:

I don't know what the diarrhoea has come from. She hasn't been wormed recently and her food has stayed the same. There have been no stressful incidents.

The only thing is that I have started to let them free range around the yard a bit, so it's possible she ate something inappropriate that she found around the yard (maybe some plant or bird poo or something). This diarrhoea seems extreme if this is all that caused it, but that's the only thing I can think of.

She is still very happy and very much herself, so I'm not terribly worried. I think I'll fast her... May be good for her waistline!

Ahahahh... mmmm I remember when Gus got into the compost and ate a rotten egg shell.... he did some terrible stinkers...Just keep an eye on her if it lasts more then a day or 2 I'd possibly go see the vet.

I put my little ones on cooked chicken and rice rather than fasting them. 24hrs is probably a little too long for a pup this size to go without food.

Do you know what the Diarrhoea is from??, is the food to rich, or was he just wormed??

I think as long as he gets lots of fluids he should be ok without food for a day... he can survive without food for a day but because he is loosing a lot of water from the diarrhoea he will need something to replace the minerals and fluid he is loosing.. I think there are puppy electrolyte ice blocks (like the ones for humans)

Hydralite is fine to use. I keep a box of the orange flav. iceblocks in my freezer at all times incase one of the kids get sick or one of the furkids need them. (I just defrost for the furkids).

You can get them from the chemist.

I offered Myrtle some rice, but she's not interested in it (desperately tried to get everyone else's dry though). So that solves that problem - rice is your only option, Myrtle!

She is still happy and drinking, but just has diarrhoea. I'll take her to the vet tomorrow if we have any fresh patties tomorrow.

Put her on some Vytrate and feed her rice and chicken for a few days.

I'll second the Vytrate suggestion.

Excellent product and my dogs/pups will drink it very eagerly when it is offered.

Yes, we've found this with Vytrate too - it seems to be very palatable. We always have sachets in the dog cupboard. Another thing we keep on hand for runny bums is slippery elm powder, which we give them at the first sign of an upset tummy (for the adult dogs too).

Hope she is feeling better today Leema! :)