High Calorie, Highly Palatable Foods For Sick Dogs

Aidan3

Sabella (GSD) has been sick for a few weeks and has lost a lot of weight. She is vomiting about once per day, and won't eat much of anything.

I can hand-feed her chopped up lamb's liver and kidney (not much). She was eating a little canned Whiskas chicken cat food, but has gone off that. She won't touch mince, dry dog food, or any sort of processed dog food (roll, can, dried lung).

I haven't tried Hills A/D, might be an option?

I couldn't find Pediasure (thanks for the tip JulesP), so I made up some Sustagen Vanilla Pudding (is this even OK?) I got her to eat a little by smearing it on her muzzle so that she felt compelled to lick it off.

Any other tips? I might try some vanilla ice-cream, that was always her favourite, but she can't live on that. It might be enough to get some food into her stomach so I can give her Rimadyl for her osteoarthritis.

Does anyone have any tips for nausea reduction in dogs? I'm taking her to the vet for an anti-emetic tomorrow, but that's not a sustainable long-term solution? Has anyone had any experience with vit B supplements? Or something herbal to reduce nausea?

For those interested, we're searching for cancer :( It's not Addisons (if you've seen my other thread), but it might be primary hyperparathyroidism (will know more soon, tests have been done).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hills AD will work a treat. It is the consistency of chocolate mouse so can be had fed but if she won't eat just stir it and it becomes a thick liquid that can be syringe fed. I've kept a number of very sick dogs alive on AD.

You could also try nutrigel to stimulate her appetite and some yoghurt to line her gut.

I hope she is okay Aiden.

How old is the dog? If it is an old dog she might just be telling you it is time for her to go. I would never force feed a sick old dog. Once they stop eating it tells me they have had enough.

With a younger dog, if you suspect they have something they could recover from, it is a different scenario. You do whatever it takes to keep them alive until they can be cured.

Thanks everyone, I'll pick up some A/D at the vet tomorrow and a roast chook.

Silly question, but when you syringe feed is the idea just to get it as far down the throat as possible?

If she is not receptive to opening her mouth for the syringe, place it as far back as you can between her lips but I would not advise placing the syringe right at the back of her throat. She will probably gag on the food which would be very uncomfortable. If she will eat from the syringe willingly then steady the flow. And grab a BIG syringe from the vet.

Hopefully the suggestions will help and good luck.

Thanks everyone, I'll pick up some A/D at the vet tomorrow and a roast chook.

Silly question, but when you syringe feed is the idea just to get it as far down the throat as possible?

If she is not receptive to opening her mouth for the syringe, place it as far back as you can between her lips but I would not advise placing the syringe right at the back of her throat. She will probably gag on the food which would be very uncomfortable. If she will eat from the syringe willingly then steady the flow. And grab a BIG syringe from the vet.

Hopefully the suggestions will help and good luck.

Thanks BBL, I wondered about that.

Aidan you most likely won't need to syringe it. The stuff (AD) literally melts in their mouth. If you use a little nutrigel first (sticky sweet molasses type stuff) then it may stimulate her taste buds enough for her to swallow the AD herself. A tin is about five mouthfuls but is equal to a meal. It is literally the consistency of mouse and almost dissolves in their mouth.

Shes nearly ten, we don't have a diagnosis yet.

The 10 year old I lost suddenly to cancer in June could only be enticed with Spaghetti Bolognese in her final week. I was also using Nutripet to try to keep her energy up while we tried some treatment but a week after diagnosis she went downhill and we realised she most likely had a brain tumour as well as all the tumours in her chest. In hindsight I should have put her down several days before when she stopped eating.

Oh..and if she is vomiting/nauseous, maybe forget about the rimadyl at present? :o no doubt your vet knows this drug way better than I do .. but anything with side effects including nausea & lack of appetite is one I avoid at any sign of illness .

If she is nauseous maybe try a couple of ginger tablets pushed down ... followed/pushed down by a bit of frozen chicken stock , also pushed down over teh tongue.;)

Edited by persephone

In the last few weeks of Cadence's life when he had cancer (GSP - back in 2005), I fed him a gruel of VitaBrits, milk, cheese, chicken, rice and he did well on that - didn't lose weight and it kept him comfortable in the winter in the hills. He also had his toast in the morning. Towards the end I had to hand feed him (and then feed handfuls to the top of his gullet because he wouldn't take it) his entire meal, but the mixture worked for him and he could take it. Sorry to hear that you are at this stage. Making them comfortable and keeping them as healthy as possible will make this time easier.

Aidan you most likely won't need to syringe it. The stuff (AD) literally melts in their mouth. If you use a little nutrigel first (sticky sweet molasses type stuff) then it may stimulate her taste buds enough for her to swallow the AD herself. A tin is about five mouthfuls but is equal to a meal. It is literally the consistency of mouse and almost dissolves in their mouth.

Thanks Ams, I'll pick up both at the vet tomorrow.

Shes nearly ten, we don't have a diagnosis yet.

The 10 year old I lost suddenly to cancer in June could only be enticed with Spaghetti Bolognese in her final week. I was also using Nutripet to try to keep her energy up while we tried some treatment but a week after diagnosis she went downhill and we realised she most likely had a brain tumour as well as all the tumours in her chest. In hindsight I should have put her down several days before when she stopped eating.

Sorry for your loss, dancinbcs. We lost Django last month, it was very sudden. It would be a cruel coincidence to lose Sabella when I'm nowhere near done grieving for my dearly missed boy. I wouldn't make her hang on for me though, and I know her every breath so I'll know when the time comes.

Oh..and if she is vomiting/nauseous, maybe forget about the rimadyl at present? :o no doubt your vet knows this drug way better than I do .. but anything with side effects including nausea & lack of appetite is one I avoid at any sign of illness .

If she is nauseous maybe try a couple of ginger tablets pushed down ... followed/pushed down by a bit of frozen chicken stock , also pushed down over teh tongue.;)

Ginger, of course! I took her off the rimadyl for a week, shes vomited twice tonight. She hasnt eaten enough to be able to have it anyway. I'll get her some antiemetics and painkillers tomorrow.