Just Found A Dead Rat In The Backyard...

pipsqueak

Our two dogs are locked inside whilst we're out, as I'm paranoid about snakes, spiders and possible barking.

I came home at 12.30 and let them out. Then I saw that there was a dead rat in the backyard. I have absolutely no idea if it was there when I left this morning about about 10am, which means that one of our dogs may have killed it. Or if it has come into the backyard and died whilst I was out. I am worried that if one of our dogs killed it, and it had been poisoned, that they may be affected by the poisoned.

I looked as best I could when I picked it up to get rid of it, but there didn't seem to be any blood or obvious bites on it. There may have been one very small bite, but not sure if that is from a tooth or the ants that were crawling on it. There weren't that may ants on it either, but it has been fairly cool here.

So, do I need to worry about my dogs being exposed to poison? Are there any signs I should be watching for in our dogs?

My cat died from rat poison about two years ago.

It begins with excessive sleeping, and they don't act the same. Chade was a very skittish cat, but didn't wake when we through boxes near him in the sun room (we were moving house). If you notice your dog sleeping a lot or drinking too much take him or her to the vet.

If it is rat poison, (strychnine) then it can be fixed (if early enough) with a Potassium shot. This helps their blood to clot as the strychnine thins the blood and causes them to hemorrhage from the inside out. If you're not sure, continually check the paws, see if there are any cuts or abrasions that don't seem to be getting better.

DO NOT let the vet tell you to wait. If you are worried, go in immediately. Chade only lasted two nights. (The vet told me to wait till the Friday. By then it was too late.)

Things to look out for if it gets too bad:

Lack of will to eat or drink.

Bright fluro green vomit.

Enlarged tummy area.

Bleeding from paws.

Swelling paws/legs.

Unusually quiet behaviour.

I hope for your sake, and your dog's sake, that it is not rat poison. It is a terribly painful way for them to go. So again. If anything gives you the slightest concern PLEASE take them to the vet. It's just not worth the pain of losing them so horribly. :cry:

My cat died from rat poison about two years ago.

It begins with excessive sleeping, and they don't act the same. Chade was a very skittish cat, but didn't wake when we through boxes near him in the sun room (we were moving house). If you notice your dog sleeping a lot or drinking too much take him or her to the vet.

If it is rat poison, (strychnine) then it can be fixed (if early enough) with a Potassium shot. This helps their blood to clot as the strychnine thins the blood and causes them to hemorrhage from the inside out. If you're not sure, continually check the paws, see if there are any cuts or abrasions that don't seem to be getting better.

DO NOT let the vet tell you to wait. If you are worried, go in immediately. Chade only lasted two nights. (The vet told me to wait till the Friday. By then it was too late.)

Things to look out for if it gets too bad:

Lack of will to eat or drink.

Bright fluro green vomit.

Enlarged tummy area.

Bleeding from paws.

Swelling paws/legs.

Unusually quiet behaviour.

I hope for your sake, and your dog's sake, that it is not rat poison. It is a terribly painful way for them to go. So again. If anything gives you the slightest concern PLEASE take them to the vet. It's just not worth the pain of losing them so horribly. :cry:

Thank you. Don't worry, if I have any concerns at all, I will be straight to the vet. The unusually quiet behaviour is a hard one for one dog, as she is the ultimate couch potato. But, checking paws is something that I wouldn't have thought of and definitely something that I can do.

I personally would not be worried. I have found a dead rat and a dead mouse in my yard before. Maybe if the dogs had eaten some of the rat (YUK) you may have reason for concerm as the rat could have been poisoned.

Thanks - that's what I'm hoping, but just want to make sure. I know that both my dogs are capable of killing a rat, so I need to know if they can be affected just by killing it, but not eating it. Did your dogs kill the rat and mouse that you found?

Looking back at your post I'd say you wont have much to worry about, because the rat was whole. Chade was a very small cat but with enough tenacity to take out a possum and gorge on it, so I believe that is how he got poisoned. If the rat was basically intact then you probably wont have to worry about anything. Worst case scenario I'd say is that if they did get any of its blood, and if it was poisoned, then they may get an upset tummy, but hopefully when alls said and done they are fine :)

I think they will be ok, just best to keep an eye out :)

I personally would not be worried. I have found a dead rat and a dead mouse in my yard before. Maybe if the dogs had eaten some of the rat (YUK) you may have reason for concerm as the rat could have been poisoned.

Thanks - that's what I'm hoping, but just want to make sure. I know that both my dogs are capable of killing a rat, so I need to know if they can be affected just by killing it, but not eating it. Did your dogs kill the rat and mouse that you found?

I have not idea if they killed it. My youngest dog picked it up, so I don't know if she killed it earlier of just found it.

We have had a big rate problem recently (not just me, my mum also a few suburbs away). They love dog food and they have chewed through several plastic rubbish bin in our garage to get to the dog food. Little buggers! My only concern with rats is ensuring the dogs to not get to the baits.

Don't panic.

Lets assume the rat was poisoned.

If your dogs weigh, say 10 times more than the rat, and some of the poison has gone through the rat, there's little chance of a lethal dose, even if the dog ate the whole rat.

Sure, watch, be cautious, try to figure out if there is rat poison around and what its effects are.

Most rat poisons are slow, cause rats are smart, and the pest control industry finds that they'll learn to avoid anything that kills fast. Even in the worst case, you have time for a measured response.

On the other hand: Rat poison is extremely cruel. There is much more danger of dogs finding the baits than eating poisoned rats. Trapping is both more humane, and safer for your dogs.

Edited by sandgrubber

My parents had a rat issue some time ago on their property ... the neighbours house burnt down so the local rat population was suddenly homeless.

The pest guy came out and put some baits in the roof and advised my parents to remove all water dishes / containers around the house.

The way rat poisons work (or so I have been told by the pest guy) is that once the rat eats the bait they then travel looking for water ... apparently this is so the rat doesn't curl up and die in the roof of the house.

A friend's dog got into some RatSack. The first indication was some red blood in his poo and on closer inspection, a small amount of bleeding around the gums. Vet. induced vomitting, some green RatSack came up although it was a couple of days since the dog had been where the poison was. Then injection of Vit K and Vit K tablets for, I think, about 10/14 days. This was a small dog and he was fine, never showed any symptoms except the loss of blood.

So, do I need to worry about my dogs being exposed to poison? Are there any signs I should be watching for in our dogs?

Well if I ever need to leave my dogs with someone again Ill be dropping them off at your place.

Very sharp eyes, a measured response, and your diligent approach assures me your dogs will be fine because if they show signs of poisoning they will have veterinary care in more than adequate time.

So, would you like to go on our 'good puppy home', Maremma list. :D

Px