All Round Lens For Canon

Jessca

Can anyone please recommend a good general use lens for a canon.

I've been thinking a 50mm (probably 1.8, unless I can afford a 1.4) and then what brand, an actual canon or sigma or another suggestion?

Is there something better than a 50mm?

Thank you in advance for any help!!

Whilst I have the canon 50mm 1.8 my every day lenses are the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and the Sigma 17-70.

The 50m is just to tight for my big greyhounds noggins for close ups indoors so need the 30mm :laugh:

Edited by anniek

I have the Sigma 17-70mm, use it a lot - its lovely! I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find something i've taken recently with it. We were recommended that as being much better than the canon kit lens, and would last us longer as we improved our skill level.

Kirislin is right, its more versatile than the 50mm. We bought the 17-70mm as our first lens with the camera - i also intended to buy the 50mm 1.8 canon lens at some point. I asked the brains trust here and they said the 50mm setting on the Sigma was quite good, and i didn't 'need' the 50mm as well (though i may have got it for my birthday anyway....).

only thing is that the sigma goes to 2.8 and the canon to 1.8, i haven't shot anything that wide yet, i'm not that good! more practice required.

Here's a couple of sigma lens ones for you - though i'm far from the best photographer :laugh:

Have fun!

post-21738-0-68178300-1325123606_thumb.jpg

post-21738-0-97419800-1325123653_thumb.jpg