Smelly Carpet Problem

Isabel964

Yeah, I know - I'd just have floorboards and have rugs that can be replaced, cleaned, aired out.... etc. But I am currently renting. Carpet is only in the bedrooms - so its just mine that has the problem.

So why do my dogs smell after 2 days?

OK, well I have a westie and kelpie.

The Westie never smells, she just has that nice mild dog smell - its not pongy at all. Usually she is washed fortnightly though I take them together to the hydrobath - one week she watches and just hangs out, the other week she too gets washed.

The problem is the kelpie and she reeks quickly sometimes. What it is, is she loves rolling in grass. When we walk and go off leash in the football oval or in off leash parks I see her sniff and choose grassy area and roll with absolute glee in it. I'm sure she specifically chooses grass that has been peed on or something.....its awful. I notice in winter when its pouring and bucketing down with rain day after day and she only goes out for toilet breaks and comes back inside (and in parks does not roll in grass when its raining), that she smells just fine. The nicer the weather, the more she rolls around in grass and the more she smells.

if you know how to rid her of this idea that she smells great after rolling in stinky areas of grass, I will glady learn about it. I tel her again and again that she gets more cuddles and snuggles from mummy when she has not been rolling in smelly grass but as clever as my kelpie girl is, she does not seem to grasp this concept :doh:

Lol I can just see her rolling around in the grass :-)

After she's rolled in the grass, could you use a diluted leave-in conditioner and give her a wipe over with a damp towel dipped in it? If she stinks from rolling in the grass, it should be relatively easy to remove the stinky stuff by cleaning it off. Kelpies aren't very big so it shouldn't take very long.

Maybe keep some made up in a spray bottle, give her a spritz then a rub down with a cloth before she comes in the house.

Its not so much the dog smell Anne, I mean it is that when combined with whatever else my kelpie rolls in, its extra bad. I have tried a dog cologne I get from the vets near their dog toy etc section but its too strong...smells like toilet cleaner. I do try the Oatmeal conditioner I have and it helps...a bit.