Using Malaseb

Is Malaseb only for bacterial/fungal type conditions? Or is it useful for general itchiness?

My boy is quite itchy this year - pretty sure it is an allergy to something in the garden (haven't worked out what). He has been flea treated and all his bedding washed, just in case, but I haven't actually seen any evidence of fleas on him.

He generally has off white/cream coat, but his feet, chest and under his tail appear to have red staining (all the areas that would touch the ground when laying and sitting down)

I have malaseb already (other dog had a yeasty infection previously), and was wondering if it would be useful in this situation? I also have aloveen shampoo and conditioner.

I will be taking him to the vet next week anyway, as he and the cats are due for vaccinations, so I will be getting his skin checked out but in the meantime, thought I might give him a bath to try and give him some comfort

Edited by j

i bathed both dogs tuesday last and the result with bella was remarkable --- but then on wed, i clipped her [and byron] and i reckon the spikey sharpness of their fur irritated them *buggar*

so, no true reading yet...

next bath scheduled for tmrw :)

Yep I'm giving my girl westie a bath once a week and giving her a ' malaseb massage' for ten minutes each night - paws, base of tail, underneath tail and tummy - and yes she's much better. :)

now that's committment! good on you and congrats on the result :)

my westie is on a raw diet and still has very yeasty (and red) paws, stomach, underside of tail etc. i left my malaseb in australia so have to reorder it.

get another bottle of malaseb but also, look at her diet --- i've found that with yeasty dogs [as is my girl], cutting down on carbs in her diet made a difference. i no longer feed rice, i've reduced the amount of potato and substituted cauliflower [slowly]

what does the pyohex do?

pyohex has its own corresponding shampoo which is [i believe] similar to malaseb and i don't know why my supplier [or their supplier] provided the malaseb shampoo and pyohex lotion as a combo BUT pyohex [apparently] prolongs [for 14 days] the effectiveness of the active constituents of both the malaseb and pyohex shampoos --- one would think that one would only need to bathe their itchy companion once in 14 days but this is apparently not the case in any event when one has a yeasty dog...

Is Malaseb only for bacterial/fungal type conditions? Or is it useful for general itchiness?

for general itchies, i'd be inclined to go with aloveen [per clyde above --- some itchies are random reactions, some seasonal ... it may also be diet/environment!

My boy is quite itchy this year - pretty sure it is an allergy to something in the garden (haven't worked out what). He has been flea treated and all his bedding washed, just in case, but I haven't actually seen any evidence of fleas on him.

it might be something in your garden, and from what i understand about fleas and FAD is all it takes is one flea to bite your dog and it will likely take several weeks for the flea allergy to subside --- A LOT of dogs suffer from flea allergy and the majority of flea treatments state to control or at least hamper it. i think that's the best they can do...

don't forget also that with spring/summer, their are more bitey insects that hover in the grass --- mozzies too!

He generally has off white/cream coat, but his feet, chest and under his tail appear to have red staining (all the areas that would touch the ground when laying and sitting down)

that red staining [i believe] is yeast, which ordinarily resides on the skin but in warmer months can cause dogs greater discomfort and if that is the case, soaking your dog's feet in a malaseb bath for 10-15 minutes several times a week will likely give your dog much comfort...

when my dogs have a yeast burden they smell like corn chips; not terribly offensive to the nose, but if you can smell it and your dog is driven to distraction, then you can place a bet to win that it's yeast...

I have malaseb already (other dog had a yeasty infection previously), and was wondering if it would be useful in this situation? I also have aloveen shampoo and conditioner.

malaseb is medicated to treat anti-fungal [let's say, the initial response; yeast] and also anti-bacterial [that leads to the secondary response; let's say hot spots] concerns with dogs. it's drying to the coat and skin [from what i've learned lately] so using it sparingly during a bath is cautionary --- as westiemum above said, she uses it every night and is having great success...

there is an apparent product ratio to water [1mL:50mL] but no-one i've spoken with observes that --- it suds up really well and so long as you leave the product on your dog for nothing less than the required 10 minutes, using enuf malaseb to suds up your dog's feet [or all over] doesn't negate the product's effectiveness.

I will be taking him to the vet next week anyway, as he and the cats are due for vaccinations, so I will be getting his skin checked out but in the meantime, thought I might give him a bath to try and give him some comfort

my girl's vet told me that bella had an acceptable, normal burden of yeast on her skin and feet --- she scratches and bites and munches often and i have to say that even tho her vet doesn't seem to think that it's an 'over burden' of yeast, malaseb has made a difference...