Vets All Natural - Perfect Puppy Nutrition

Have been feeding pebbles (english stafford - 11 months old) VAN musli mix with roo mince for almost 6 months now. A couple of weeks ago we upped her daily intake as she had put on more weight and went up a category. Today i noticed she had a hard time pooing and the poo was really crumbly and dry..

what's going on?

i recommended VAn to a friend with a stafford a couple of months younger than pebbles and they had the same reaction (crumbly poo) within a week of introducing the diet...

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been feeding pebbles (english stafford - 11 months old) VAN musli mix with roo mince for almost 6 months now. A couple of weeks ago we upped her daily intake as she had put on more weight and went up a category. Today i noticed she had a hard time pooing and the poo was really crumbly and dry..

what's going on?

i recommended VAn to a friend with a stafford a couple of months younger than pebbles and they had the same reaction (crumbly poo) within a week of introducing the diet...

Hi skully,

I have referred this to Bruce, I will get him to post a response. I anticipate it will be in relation to bone consumption, but I will let him give you a more accurate veterinary opinion.

Hi skully,

A response from Bruce.

2 possibilities – either they are not soaking the mix with the correct amount of water, or for long enough – or, they are also feeding bones, and it is the bones causing the crumbly poo (which is normal). Just increasing the amount fed should have no impact on the faeces.

Warm regards,

Dr Bruce Syme BVSc(Hons)

He would like to have a chat to you about this, as his response is generalised. There could be something out of the ordinary going on. Let me know if you would like to have a chat with him about this.

We just welcomed an 8wk labrador puppy into our home (very exciting!) and am using Vet's All Natural Complete mix with chicken mince as per the Breeder's recommendation. Two quick questions:

1) The daily feeding guide I am assuming is for the whole day's consumption? So if giving 3 meals per day, the daily guide based on weight is divided into those 3 meals?

2) I read in an earlier post that chicken mince isn't as highly recommended. Some local advice given here at pet stores was that kangaroo meat would be good but not until the pup is a bit older due to her nutritional needs as a puppy? Would you agree with this or recommend something other than chicken mince? She has been on chicken mince with the complete muesli since being on solids (with some chicken frames / marrow bones every 1-2 days as well) and seems to enjoy it! However if you recommend we change to a different meat, should we do so gradually?

Thank you!

Hi Simon29,

Yes, the feeding guide is for daily rations, so your correctly splitting it over 3 feeds.

Organic, free range chicken mince is a great meat, however it is very difficult to source. The chicken mince usually available is from intensively farmed chickens that are fed an extremely unnatural diet, never see sunlight and have very low levels of calcium in their bones. Kangaroo is essentially organic and free range.

Kangaroo is very lean, so some people may think that puppies need more fat in their diet. Chicken mince more often has the skin included which increases the fat content. If you stay with the chicken, just watch her weight. You can certainly stay with the chicken, many dogs are fed it. Dogs often prefer chicken, most likely because they have already been exposed to it (people feeding wings/necks etc) whereas roo is quite pungent. Roo does provide a better quality protein and is nice and lean.

I personally have large dogs to feed, so I mix 2/3 roo and 1/3 chicken mince to bring the cost down, as chicken is very cheap.

Edited by Vets All Natural

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let Premium Choice users know that we have improved the product and renamed it Raw76.

The name reflects the 76 macro and micro nutrients it contains and some of the range has had name changes -

Allerblend is now Raw76 Sensitive Skin and Senior is now Raw76 Joint Health.

The improvements include a greater percentage of offal, carrot fibre to make it easier to handle and thicker packaging.

We hope the improvements are well accepted :)

Hi :)

With the offal that is included in the VAN "Raw" and "Raw 76", .... in particular, liver - has it been inspected and 'treated' (so to speak) for hydatids and can we be confident there are none?

Cheers

Erny (Judi)

I like the look of roo meat, does look good, but the cheapest i could get it was $4.99 for 800g roll, whereas i get chicken mince for $1.99 kg. Mixing it is a good idea.

since i have been adding sardines in oil her coat looks much better too, not that white shines alot anyway :laugh:

Hi :)

With the offal that is included in the VAN "Raw" and "Raw 76", .... in particular, liver - has it been inspected and 'treated' (so to speak) for hydatids and can we be confident there are none?

Cheers

Erny (Judi)

Yes, we have supply chain agreements from the shooters right through to packaging and distribution.

Due to the nature of kangaroo being a wild animal generally the inspection process is fairly rigid (there is only one extra step between roo for pet meat and roo for human consumption) and we ensure that our meat is inspected thoroughly.

I like the look of roo meat, does look good, but the cheapest i could get it was $4.99 for 800g roll, whereas i get chicken mince for $1.99 kg. Mixing it is a good idea.

since i have been adding sardines in oil her coat looks much better too, not that white shines alot anyway :laugh:

The cheapest place in Sydney I can think of that's close to you is the pet shop on Richmond Rd near the M7. I think its been renamed My Pet Warehouse. 5kg for $18-$19. That might have changed though :o

Pebbles (turning 1 on the 22nd june) just hit 16kg, so we have upped her raw food w/ complete mix amount. The packet suggests we feed her 600g raw meat with the mix - however, we usually give her some kibble in the morning as well, so feed her approx 500g for dinner.

Previously we were giving her approx 300g with kibble (instead of the full 420g as recommended on the packet of complete puppy mix). With this amount she would whine in the lead up to dinner time and scoff her food in a matter of seconds. Now that we've upped her dinner to 500g she is not eating it all and not always eating much of her kibble for breakfast either?

Do you think it's time to put her on the adult mix and bring the intake down (as per instructions on packet to 300g per day) plus her kibble?

HI Skully,

Yes, if you feel that she has reached her adult weight then you can change over to the Adult mix. The Adult mix has joint formula added and whole grains for roughage bulk. You also drop the ratio of meat: complete mix down.

Perhaps her not being so ravenous at the moment is a sign she has been through her final growth phase.

Bruce will keep some dogs on puppy until the age of 2 but it is all dependent on the individual dogs.

Guest english.ivy

Why is it so difficult to find what is in your foods online?

I am was interested in feeding VAN to see how my dogs go but found it really annoying to not be able to easily find which was suitable for my dog by looking on your website.

I wanted to do my research before I planned on which would be better.

No, I'm not taking a dig, I was honestly interested.

Why is it so difficult to find what is in your foods online?

I am was interested in feeding VAN to see how my dogs go but found it really annoying to not be able to easily find which was suitable for my dog by looking on your website.

I wanted to do my research before I planned on which would be better.

No, I'm not taking a dig, I was honestly interested.

What are you having difficulty with? I can post or PM any information you might like.

If you decide to revisit our products please call us, we can help most people.

Are you still feeding Black Hawk? What made you consider feeding VAN?

• 1 month later...

Actually i have just found the same problem, i have been feeding my BT VANS, for about 6 months,but feed the 15 kg bag, which has no list of ingredients on.

My 13 yr old dally has just had a urate stone blockage again, the last one was about 8 yrs ago, and since then i have been feeding firstly optimum, and now Advance and wings and necks.

I am considering putting him on the Vans too, i have a list of high purine foods, but without an ingredients list for Vans i can't work out wether it would be bettewr for him.