Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Very kind of you Teekay :) I'm so proud of her. The improvement in her reactive traits in her behavior has amazed me really. It hasn't been an easy ride with her at times. Stella is a very complex girl. She is a lot of dog. To see the huge progress she has made thrills me to bits. I just adore her. It is such a wonderful feeling to be 'at one' with them. I'm glowing from the inside at the moment :D

Jake had a good training session today. We have been working on going through sit, down and stand at a distance and have even taken this on the road, always on a long leash. He was able to do a bit in front of the dogs this morning although he took the opportunity to shuffle a bit closer to me on each position change and couldn't do a stand. We managed to work about a meter and a half away from the fence with the dogs right up against it. He was focused and ignoring them but he breaks when he has to turn and walk away, he seems to need to give them a "don't follow me" yell. It's also obvious he has no curiosity or desire to interact, as soon as I released him he turned and wanted to get away from them. I had always hoped that once he was calm around dogs he might show some interest in them but it would seem not. I do think he is enjoying his training though and he particularly enjoys going for cake after.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for their support and encouragement. It has meant the world to me this year. Looking back to the beginning of the year we have made huge progress, I now have lovely trainers who have a genuine interest and liking for Tubby. He has progressed from being unable to see other dogs whilst on walks to being able to at best ignore them or at worst lay into his peanut butter jar. There have been passing references to one day attending classes which would be my dream. It's been lovely to have you guys to share my ups and downs with as you really are the only people who can understand how special those little victories are! Big hugs to all my speshul dogfriends!

Just a small brag regarding my girl today. We were ambushed today on 3 separate by dogs we didn't know as we were playing retrieve at the beach. Previously in this situation Stella would charge at the approaching loose dog, growling, showing teeth & hackels up, all meaning 'business'. But have been working really hard over the past few months on this unwanted behavior. I give the 'Leave it" command, then I just redirect her attention with the ball or whatever I have in my hands at the time. And it seems to be paying off as today on all 3 occasions she went to charge, I told her to Leave it & she did with no charging or aggression shown.... YA !!!

I'm wrapped. She seems to just look up at me now when things like this occur for direction which is exactly what I want her to do. Where as previously she would just aggressively blot off in an instant. One very proud mum today :)

:cheer: that's so wonderful BC Crazy!!! You must be over the moon with that :champagne: well done Stella!

Yep Jenseeya, I used to freeze too. I even had to practice stepping in front and yelling no to pretend dogs at home. It's now just second nature to constantly scan, interrupt conversations mid-sentence to dive behind a bush for cover and just always assume other dog owners have no clue. They don't, they have normal dogs and I did once too.

We had a wild training session last week with a newly qualified trainer and mid way through she said "you don't take him for walks, do you?" Yep, everyday. It's character building but some days I feel like I have enough character.

WTH? I think they were having a major silly moment Hankdog to think something like that. What a ridiculous thing to say to you!!!

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for their support and encouragement. It has meant the world to me this year. Looking back to the beginning of the year we have made huge progress, I now have lovely trainers who have a genuine interest and liking for Tubby. He has progressed from being unable to see other dogs whilst on walks to being able to at best ignore them or at worst lay into his peanut butter jar. There have been passing references to one day attending classes which would be my dream. It's been lovely to have you guys to share my ups and downs with as you really are the only people who can understand how special those little victories are! Big hugs to all my speshul dogfriends!

That is really wonderful HD, and Jake has come such a long way :thumbsup: big things are coming your way in 2014 by the sounds of it!

I would also like to say thank you to everyone here. You guys have all been so helpful. I would be floundering still if I had not come in here and received such sound guidance. you are a great bunch and I am so looking forward to hearing all the more victories that we're all going to have next year!

Onwards and upwards! :whee:

Edited by raineth

I am a constant reader of this thread as my kelpie is fear reactive and I have been working hard with her on her reactions to other dogs - I don't post much but had to just share that after working with her to have her drop when we come across other dogs on our walk we had a really confirming day today. She did not react at all - besides watching the dog go past ( we had crossed the road - I am not willing to push her limits by putting her in too close proximity) and then managed herself in a fairly busy vet waiting room with a staffy pup who wanted to play and several small fluffies. I am feeling confident with my abilities to mange her and to manage the way we react to other dogs on our walk - she is never going to be an easy dog but she is so much better - feeling quite proud today.

Thank you to everyone who shares in here - it us heartening to follow the journeys of the different dogs and the techniques people are using smile.gif

I love this thread as well raineth & thanks for you kind supportive words.

Good on you KHM... Isn't it the bet feeling when you have a "win" no matter what the size :)

Stella has taken a few steps backwards of late. She hasn't been well, diagnosed as Epilepsy effected which has shaken us up unfortunately :(

so we are a little bit all over the place atm. She has been going OK though all thing considered I guess. Hopefully we will get back on track with our training soon.

She had a dummy spit this morning at a cattle dog cause he came up close to me. She tends to rush at them, slight lip curled & growling to make them retreat. One of the habits I usually intercept but she was way to quick for me this time.

Oh I'm so sorry BC that's a curve ball to have to deal with. It's annoying when you miss stuff and they have a tanty but I guess that's just going to happen every now and then. I missed a dog coming up behind us the other day, it was about ten meters away when I saw it, I screeched and leapt off the pavement into the traffic. Took Jake a bit longer than me to react and I could have kicked myself after because I think I set him off and had I reacted better he probably would have been fine. Hindsight such a wonderful thing.

Hindsight is 20:20 isn't it - I have revisited so many situations when I was the reason for the reaction! I have to consciously stay calm if we see another dog because Rosie spots it from miles away and alerts (ears up - attentive stance) and can go over threshold if she isn't totally confident I have it under control. The fact that the hound whines like a pathetic little puppy and cranes his neck to see the other dog doesn't help at times!

As we are working closer to dogs at training it's becoming apparent that jakes vision plays a big role in his problems. He tends to stay really focused on me now and keeps his head slightly pointed at me which is great. He seems to cope fine but then it seems that his wonky eyes see the other dog and he gets a huge fright. It must be hard to live in a world where things unpredictably appear and disappear.

I love this thread as well raineth & thanks for you kind supportive words.

Good on you KHM... Isn't it the bet feeling when you have a "win" no matter what the size :)

Stella has taken a few steps backwards of late. She hasn't been well, diagnosed as Epilepsy effected which has shaken us up unfortunately :(

so we are a little bit all over the place atm. She has been going OK though all thing considered I guess. Hopefully we will get back on track with our training soon.

She had a dummy spit this morning at a cattle dog cause he came up close to me. She tends to rush at them, slight lip curled & growling to make them retreat. One of the habits I usually intercept but she was way to quick for me this time.

Oh I'm sorry to hear about Stella's epilepsy BC Crazy. That would definitely have shaken you up :(

Will it be controlled with medication?

Thanks raineth. Yes certainly not something you'd hope for. It is very sad news for us but I guess it is not life threatening as such & is manageable.

Very upsetting to witness an Epileptic seizure though when you don't know what is going on. I first thought upon walking out into our backyard & seeing Stella just laying there was that she had ran into something & broken her spine as she was paralysed & semi conscious. Then she was shaking/convulsing :(

Now that I'm aware of the cause of her seizures it isn't quite as frightening. I just make sure she can't injure herself & sit beside her till she comes around. It does take it's toll on her though & a is few days before she is back to her normal self again.

At the moment she isn't on meds as I'm monitoring her to she how frequent her seizures are. If she starts to have them a lot them meds are needed :crossfingers: we won't have to.

I have been in touch with a herbalist though & have been giving Stella some Epilepsy Drops & some Nervous Recovery drops. I thought this may help keep her nervous system stay healthy & also help her anxiety. Heard some very encouraging things about this alternative treatment. You can only try can't you?

With the type of Epilepsy Stella has her seizures seemed triggered by if she gets too hot/stressed/tired or just had a huge day. So am trying to keep a very close eye on her to ensure she stays under her thresh hold for all of the above. Easier said than done with a girl that is so 100 miles an hour with everything she does. I feel bit like the 'fun police' & a real meanie but it is a case of have to unfortunately.

Anyway that is where we are at at the moment. Always said my girl was a lot of dog. Just another thing to add to her already very extensive list of oddities.

Sorry don't mean to derail this thread. It is too much of a life line for all of us with reactive dogs :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I wonder if there's a link between her behavior and the epilepsy? Whatever is causing her hyperactive type behaviour could also be causing the epilepsy. Hopefully it will be easy to control, a fit is so stressful to watch I'm so sorry you have to go through that.

You know hankdog I have so wondered the exact same thing as you have questioned. As soon as she was diagnosed as Epilepsy effected, I was like I wonder if there is some kind of connection or link between her reactivity/noise phobia/anxiety & this???? Is it something to do with her mechanic's, the way she is wired mentally that causes both??? Does one issue bounce off the other??? I also wondered if there had ever been any tests done regarding this issue?? My local Vet isn't very experienced in behavioural issues. Am going on holidays in a couple of weeks & I visit a fantastic Vet there so I already have lots of questions for her. Actually both Vets at this particular practise are right into behavioural stuff. They love Stella to bits, probably cause she is such a 'different' dog I think.

Thanks for your understanding hankdog :)

By the way I was unaware that Jake had sight issues. That would answer a lot of his reactive issues I would of thought? It would be scary if you hear something but can't see what it is clearly.

Edited by BC Crazy

Well his eyes function separately, Apoarently it could have been helped when he was a pup but now his brain will have developed in sync with his eyes so he just has to deal with it. Faulty wIring which I do wonder if it's maybe affected other things in his head? It's a shame thinking something coukd have been done.

That is so unsual hankdog. I have never heard of anything like that. Poor Jake :( Such a shame something wasn't done to help him when he was a puppy. I am sure as with Stella with fautly wiring it must have some kind of impact on how they process situations. They seem to have a much smaller window of observation before reacting defensively.

His eyes are about 90 degrees in opposite directions, if one eye is looking at you the other is looking out the side of his head. I have a funny picture where he's in the car, one eye getting a front view and one out the side window. Apparently if there is at least some overlap in vision then they do get one maybe slightly blurry picture and some depth perception. Jakes eyes are so divergent that what most likely happens is he has two separate pictures and no depth perception, this would make it hard for him to know how far away a dog is or how quickly it is approaching him.

Apparently some dogs just use one eye and ignore information from the other. Some dogs can control which eye they pay attention to and for some it's a random switch. If you look at photos of Jake running towards you you can see the eye change.

Up till now I thought he was controlling which eye he paid attention to. Now we are working within 5 meters of another dog it doesn't seem to be the case. He will be focused on me and going along just fine, then he seems to suddenly see the dog and get a huge fright. It makes him quite unpredictable as you think it's all under control and then it's like a bolt of lightning hits him.

The answer is to just one hundred percent gain his trust. He's a funny little man, he thinks in slow motion and it's quite sweet to see him start to do what comes naturally... Go completely bananas and then pull himself up. My most used command at the moment is "what do you do". This is basically whatever is happening " come tell mummy". Same command for garden, training or in the house. Please Jake go get a second opinion, yours is rubbish.

Thanks raineth. Yes certainly not something you'd hope for. It is very sad news for us but I guess it is not life threatening as such & is manageable.

Very upsetting to witness an Epileptic seizure though when you don't know what is going on. I first thought upon walking out into our backyard & seeing Stella just laying there was that she had ran into something & broken her spine as she was paralysed & semi conscious. Then she was shaking/convulsing :(

Now that I'm aware of the cause of her seizures it isn't quite as frightening. I just make sure she can't injure herself & sit beside her till she comes around. It does take it's toll on her though & a is few days before she is back to her normal self again.

At the moment she isn't on meds as I'm monitoring her to she how frequent her seizures are. If she starts to have them a lot them meds are needed :crossfingers: we won't have to.

I have been in touch with a herbalist though & have been giving Stella some Epilepsy Drops & some Nervous Recovery drops. I thought this may help keep her nervous system stay healthy & also help her anxiety. Heard some very encouraging things about this alternative treatment. You can only try can't you?

With the type of Epilepsy Stella has her seizures seemed triggered by if she gets too hot/stressed/tired or just had a huge day. So am trying to keep a very close eye on her to ensure she stays under her thresh hold for all of the above. Easier said than done with a girl that is so 100 miles an hour with everything she does. I feel bit like the 'fun police' & a real meanie but it is a case of have to unfortunately.

Anyway that is where we are at at the moment. Always said my girl was a lot of dog. Just another thing to add to her already very extensive list of oddities.

Sorry don't mean to derail this thread. It is too much of a life line for all of us with reactive dogs :)

You're not derailing the thread at all!

I really hope that she doesn't have more (or at least not many more) seizures.

That certainly makes it a bit hard on all involved that she can be triggered by heat, stress or being tired. But it made me wonder whether it might help her to be on quite a tight routine? I dunno, it was just a feeling... that maybe the added security of a tight routine may help reduce any stress she has :) Of course you may already have her on a routine like this! In which case just ignore :)

I have some idea where you're coming from with trying to keep quiet a dog who is '100 miles an hour', a little while a go I had to put Del on crate rest after she hurt her elbow. We would walk her to the backyard for a toilet break and in that short distance she would manage to move as much as possible by bouncing and spinning in the short walk from the crate to the backyard :doh:

anyway, give her a tummy rub from me :)

ETA: I had a really good win yesterday :D Made me very, very happy :D Just Del walking really well past another dog, but it made me soooo happy!

Edited by raineth

Isn't it the best feeling raineth to have a "win" moment. Amazing how glowing you feel. Well done :thumbsup:

I am really hoping Stella doesn't have too many seizures. Her grand mother is Epilepsy Effected so it is genetic. Apparently Angel is mildly effected. Maybe 2 to 3 turns a year. So I'm hoping Stella is the same :crossfingers:

We do stick to a pretty strict schedule here anyway. I just find she really responds to routine. She tends to flounder/worry if she is unsure what is happening.

With her exercise I make sure not to let her get to puffed/hot. We either just rest in the shade or swim.I always carry water in my back pack. If she starts to get to stressed I calm her right down before she reaches that point where she goes into panic mode. That's when she seizured the first time. I stop her from running around the backyard once I see she is getting too tired. So I have definitely turned into the 'fun police' in her eye's I'm sure :laugh:

I certainly give her an extra tummy rub especially from you. She is the most effectionate little girl I think I

have ever owned. She is always such a happy,loving girl . Just adorable :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Isn't it the best feeling raineth to have a "win" moment. Amazing how glowing you feel. Well done :thumbsup:

I am really hoping Stella doesn't have too many seizures. Her grand mother is Epilepsy Effected so it is genetic. Apparently Angel is mildly effected. Maybe 2 to 3 turns a year. So I'm hoping Stella is the same :crossfingers:

We do stick to a pretty strict schedule here anyway. I just find she really responds to routine. She tends to flounder/worry if she is unsure what is happening.

With her exercise I make sure not to let her get to puffed/hot. We either just rest in the shade or swim.I always carry water in my back pack. If she starts to get to stressed I calm her right down before she reaches that point where she goes into panic mode. That's when she seizured the first time. I stop her from running around the backyard once I see she is getting too tired. So I have definitely turned into the 'fun police' in her eye's I'm sure :laugh:

I certainly give her an extra tummy rub especially from you. She is the most effectionate little girl I think I

have ever owned. She is always such a happy,loving girl . Just adorable :)

naawww! She sure is a gorgeous girl from everything you've said about her :)

It's a bummer having to be the fun police, but she is so lucky to have someone like you who cares, and puts in all that effort and energy to ensure her well being :)