Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Yes that's it Hankdog. To Stella almost everything is scary. So I am just going to run like hell away & around in circles to get away but by doing this she just gets more & more anxious the more she runs. So I intercept her train of thought & redirect it to actually think about doing something else & then reward her. eg do a trick, reward. then go lay on your bed. That high anxiety level isn't reached.

• 2 weeks later...

Jake update no. 1768....went to training for the first time since coming home. We had cake and coffee before going to training and he was a little stressed but we had a quiet wander around the gardens and he settled. He had no problems with getting out the car at training, a bit of a bark at the big dogs barking at him from behind the fences. Said hello to the little ones, had a bit of one on one with Zoei for whom he behaves like the most obedient dog on the planet. Wandered over to say hello to a barky puppy that he behaved really well with. I really keep expecting the other shoe to drop but No, he seems to be behaving like a normal dog. Not sure I can cope with that!

Jake update no. 1768....went to training for the first time since coming home. We had cake and coffee before going to training and he was a little stressed but we had a quiet wander around the gardens and he settled. He had no problems with getting out the car at training, a bit of a bark at the big dogs barking at him from behind the fences. Said hello to the little ones, had a bit of one on one with Zoei for whom he behaves like the most obedient dog on the planet. Wandered over to say hello to a barky puppy that he behaved really well with. I really keep expecting the other shoe to drop but No, he seems to be behaving like a normal dog. Not sure I can cope with that!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: So great to hear this Hankdog, you must have been grinning from ear to ear. :D

Good boy Jakey

Snook, great update :thumbsup: It's really fantastic to hear such an excellent success story :)

BC Crazy, how is Stella and Sonny going now? Did you find out why he was sore?

:champagne: that calls for a celebration I think! Sounds like he's really building up those good habits, you must be so happy :)

How has he been since?

Del went a little backwards for a while after we moved house. It took her about 10 days to settle in. The area we've moved to has a lot of dogs in front yards and that has be very confronting for her. But we've sussed most of them out now, and I still have many other destinations to walk with very few dogs in front yards.

I'm not surprised she's scared, honestly some of them are like ninjas, you have no idea they're there until they are barking inches from your face!

We had two dogs run out at us from a front yard the other day, and although she was stressed, she did her automatic sit and made no attempts to actually engage with them and they were right next to her. I was very pleased with her :)

She is continuing to improve at a pretty steady pace and that's all I can ask for really :)

I know a lot of you have trainers guiding you, but I also know that there are quite a few people who just read, so I thought I'd mention Dr Sophia Yin's DVDs for reactive and hyperactive dogs.

I am working my way through them, and they really focus on handler technique. It is very enlightening, and very useful as most other information on reactive dogs focusses a lot on the method, but not so much on handler technique. And I am seeing that even very nuanced technique and body language can make quite a big difference. Although I have a long way to go I have noticed an improvement in the way Del is responding to me.

So I think they are worth having a look at for anyone who thinks that their handling skills could use some honing :)

Thanks Snook, I am proud of her :)

But yikes! That incident sounds so scary! Justice conducted himself wonderfully with your help :thumbsup:

But gees my blood pressure rose just reading that :/

I think under such circumstances, him reacting a little was very understandable. I suppose it makes me wonder how far do we go with our training? Under some circumstances, reacting would be quite normal, and it sounds as though, that might have been one of those situations. I think the fact he didn't go over threshold speaks volumes :) What a good boy :)

Thanks Snook, I am proud of her :)

But yikes! That incident sounds so scary! Justice conducted himself wonderfully with your help :thumbsup:

But gees my blood pressure rose just reading that :/

I think under such circumstances, him reacting a little was very understandable. I suppose it makes me wonder how far do we go with our training? Under some circumstances, reacting would be quite normal, and it sounds as though, that might have been one of those situations. I think the fact he didn't go over threshold speaks volumes :) What a good boy :)

i was honestly so shocked and proud and amazed at how awesome his response was that I didn't freak out at all while it was happening and even told the other owner it was okay when he apologised profusely, instead of going off at him (which has been my reaction in the past when Justice has flipped out over being rushed or attacked like that). Justice's reaction was more than reasonable and I don't have any kind of problem with him having growled or trying to defend himself when the dog went for his face. It was completely appropriate to the situation and I would never try to train that out of him. He needs to feel free to warn other dogs and stand up for himself, so long as it's controlled and appropriate. :)

Isn't that great, now when these situations occur they are less stressful for both of you :)

It's really amazing hey? Under such full on circumstances, he (and you!) really kept it together :thumbsup:

And sorry, my question about how far do we take our training sounded really awful when I re-read it. It just made think how all dogs react under some certain circumstances and I wonder how I'll go working that out with Delta, when we (hopefully) get there!

Hi folks, have been away caravaning over Easter so am still playing catch up on everyones progress.

Bravo Snook & Justice :thumbsup: Well done to you both. How proud you must be Snook :D

Stella is going quite well atm. She has been sleeping right through the night for the first time. We are both getting some well earned sleep which is very healing for both of us. Stella hasn't had another seizure since being on meds either, touch wood :thumbsup: Her reactivity seems to have increased with other dogs at times outside on walks but has decreased at home in our back yard & she seems far more settled which is wonderful.The dog that used to really trigger Stella & lived behind us doesn't seem to be there anymore so this has certainly helped her as well. Received all my paper work from the Vet/Behaviourist yesterday & he seems to think she is as 'good' as she is going to get & said her prognosis for her future as far as her behaviour/reactivity/noise phobia etc goes is poor in his opinion unfortunately.... :( She is very genetically impaired apparently.

So we will just keep plugging away as he said I'm doing well with her & pretty much doing a lot of what he would advice anyway.

Hoping to see some improvement in Sonny over the coming weeks as I have him on anti imflamitories :crossfingers:

Edited by BC Crazy

Absolutely. I had no idea that him not reacting would be so much less stressful for me! It was so great that our lovely afternoon together wasn't ruined by what happened. :)

Your question didn't sound awful at all and brings up a really interesting part of rehabilitating reactive dogs. I think some people (maybe even a lot of people?) think that they need to get their dog to a point where it doesn't react at all or they haven't been successful. I'm lucky in that I had Amy guiding both of us along the way, so I got trained to understand when it's appropriate for Justice to react and what that should look like to be a healthy, balanced response. Otherwise I probably would be wondering if it was okay for him to still growl or tell dogs off at times.

Yes it's great to have a trainer like that. It's really invaluable to have someone else's perspective on things.

Del and I got to club, we don't see anyone specifically for her reactivity, but just occasionally the trainers will share an observation with me from what they can see that's helped to keep us on the right track.

Raineth, I would love to have access locally to a supportive club like you & Del. It would be invaluable IMHO to have an experience eye/opinion because when you are in the situation or moment you can miss the sometimes obvious. Also new or different ways to manage situations that you may not of thought about trying previously :)

I'm going to start both my guys on private lessens I think. Can't afford a lot but just see how we go. The hard thing is finding someone good that isn't booked out. We have very limited 'good' ones around here.

Edited by BC Crazy

BC no way has Stella reached her full potential. She's young and smart and you want her to improve. Training will make a difference. I think a lot of times when dogs are written off the trainer is working on the assumption you're only going to be prepared to put in average effort. She may never be a happy camper "normal" dog but she can improve.

The kennels I train at do offer group classes for reactive dogs which might be a more cost effective option. Dural might be too far for you but there might be something similar near you. Don't worry Mr Norty isn't ready for class.... Yet.

Big Hug to Justice, I nominate him for super dog of 2014.

Hankdog, I don't think Stella has either. Not by a long shot.

She is just getting warmed up IMHO. I will NEVER give up on her. I can see huge potenial in her as she is just so very bright.

What the Behaviourist has said has only made me all the more determind to prove him wrong.

I don 't think she's ready for a class type environent YET though either. Groups of dogs bring her undone emotionally in seconds. Thats why I thought private would be the way to start. I was thinking of 1 hour lessons but involving Sonny as well. Say 15 mins turn about. I believe Stella would settle with him crated at first much quicker than on her own.

I agree with you BC Crazy and Hankdog, that Stella may well improve yet, especially as she has such a committed and switched-on owner.

We animals and humans are designed to be flexible, to adapt to our environments. This means that change is always possible :)

As Hankdog says, sure she might not ever be a sunshine and lollypops kind of girl, but to say she wont improve anymore... I wouldn't take it as gospel.

My Digby was in an almost opposite situation to Stella, in that he had been through a dreadful environment, but in the behaviourist's opinion, did not have genetically-based problems (all environmental from original owners).

The improvements he's made are phenomenal! I wish I could really show people what he was like, and what he is like now. It would give you hope. Truly, the behaviourist described him as a dog that had completely given up when he met him; He is so far from that dog now :)

I know that's not exactly like Stella's case, but it shows that big improvements are possible :)

I'm on my iPhone so need to be brief, but I thought you guys might be interested in the "dogs in need of space" online course that is being offered. It isn't about dog training , but owner training. I've followed their blog a fair bit and I've always found thetr advice to be useful, practical and above all non-judgemental.

Early bird is $99 for 15 lessons and open all year, with q&a, support etc. early bird is only open for the next hour or so, then I think it is about $250. I can't link from here but look up "DINOS" on Facebook if you're interested.

Go snook! Green with envy :-). Hugs to BC Crazy. While I agree that healthy animals can adapt and improve, some tortured souls can't (much like humans too). Unfortunately there isn't a simple test to tell us which category our dogs fall into. I sometimes worry that the "you're do committed and things will improve" actually puts more pressure on someone. It is okay to throw yourself on the bed, have a good cry and want to give up . Also, when you can't cope anymore an the dog is in a constant state of stress, it is okay to say "enough is enough" and give them their wings. No one needs to be a hero (I'm not saying this applied to Stella BC crazy, I don't know Stella in real life and I'm far from an expert).

Thanks for your kind words megan :)

I couldn't agree more with you regarding some tortured, poor souls :( I have always said to Mr BCC since owning Stella & realizing she is such a complex dog with more than her fair share of health & mental 'issues' if at any time I find that her 'bad' days were out numbering her 'good' ones or she just simply can't relax anymore, I will give her her wings. As difficult a decision as that would be. I would never allow her to lead a tortured life just to say 'I won'....

I couldn't tell you the amount of times I have balled my eye's out over her & wondered where the hell have I gone wrong with her :( I now understand that it is the way she is wired unfortunately.

I also have come to terms with the fact that she will never be the sunshine & lollipops kind of girl as raineth so cutely put it :) but I do quietly believe she can improve in some areas. If she doesn't & remains the same, so be it too. I will continue to give her 110% as I have always done & see how we go. She will be loved & adored to pieces whatever the final outcome :p

Raineth thank you for your kind support :flower: Your poor Digby must of had dreadful previous owners to have damaged him so :( Beyond belief how some people treat their beloved dogs. He is so lucky to have you now. Must think he is in paradise now :)

Congratulations on your fabulous efforts with him. He has come full circle by the sound of things. Tremendous effort :thumbsup:

Edited by BC Crazy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks would love some advice after what could only be described as a shocker of a morning with Stella.... :(

Stella was actually behaving like a dream all morning up until the walk home. I was walking on the edge of a very quite street thankfully when the garbage truck came taring around the corner. Catching me be surprise. I had both my dogs on leads but Stella got away on me & ran flat out start across the road, chasing the truck :eek: NOT HAPPY... I screamed out to her & she ran straight back to me & sat at my feet but it all happened so darn quickly, she could of been killed. I lost it & burst into tears, not the best way to handle it but I was so shocked. I quickly just grabbed her lead. So lucky there were no cars coming the other way otherwise she would of been killed. No doubt about it !!! I do have trouble holding the leads as my hands are very arthritic so I have limited movement & little feeling due to nerve damage. I thought I had hold of her quite firmly. Obviously NOT...

My question being what do I do about this? I felt I couldn't rouse on her after she had returned to me for nicking off on me. I just didn't engage her the rest of the way home as I was too upset. Stella kept looking up at me. We walked into our street & another garbage truck was heading towards up, she didn't bat an eye.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. I certainly don't want this to happen again & she has never done this before.

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks for your vote of confidence Snook & support. It was terrifying. My heart is still pounding I'm afraid.

I was thinking about something like your suggesting. Maybe just leading Sonny but having Stella on a leash but around my waist. Have you seen those Snook? I wouldn't be actually holding her in my not so reliable hands. I'd just stand still it is impossible for her to get away. I have her in a Rogz obedience collar so she can't slip it, impossible. That was a thought.

Yes I certainly don't want to get dragged under the truck with her :(

She walks very well on lead, loose leash & at a heel position that is until she gets reactive. She is pretty strong for her size as she is very determine.

Maybe with other dolers input we might come up with some other ideas as well.

I use Ezy dog zero shock leads atm & they are fantastic for anyone with hand issues like myself. They are really quite long & have tried one around my waist & they seem OK. I just looped the clasp through the end of the lead after putting it around my body. Maybe worth a try???

I just got back from a walk and had a similar problem :( I'm really happy where Didi's loose leash walking is at the moment, normally by my side and if she ever hits the end of her leash she'll slow down or come closer to me and is responsive to my corrections. The only problem that is really bad is birds, if we see one on a walk she will lunge at them with full force and try to chase. At the moment I can hold on but only just. She's so strong and will only get stronger as she's only 7 months old at the moment so I'm getting really worried about it. She also has no road sense and I'm worried if she lunges and I drop the leash she might chase the birds onto the road. I can handle the situation if I see the birds before hand, I stop and ask her to look at me and reward her as we walk past but if I don't notice the bird first I can't get her to snap out of it until the bird has flown away.

I'm trying to eliminate the problem while I'm still able to handle her weight but I'm not sure what I can do once she has seen and fixated on the bird... any ideas?

Under low distraction (around the house/quiet walk) if I just feel like getting her to look at me/having her full attention she will do so when I say her name as I've tried builing a strong link with name=mum wants my attention for something. If she is distracted though I've been working on LAT so when I see her look at something (not necessarily something she's reactive to but just something that's caught her eye and might lead to her getting distracted/excited) then I'll I generally say her name rather than look so I don't think I'm really doing LAT right :/ I use look more for when I want eye contact preceding a command for example I am trying to get her into the habit of stopping and sitting every time we have to cross a road and even though she'll generally sit if I just say the word I prefer eye contact when I give the command so I will say 'look' before I give the sit command or when I'm at obedience training and we are about to start going through a command.

I also have a 'leave it' command that is relatively solid if we are walking and she stops to sniff when I don't want her to/when it's poo or something dead or if we are at the park and a dog comes up to say hi but I want to keep walking I also use 'leave it'.

SO long story short I don't think I really have a solid behavior interrupter except perhaps a loud 'NO' which I use if she gets too hyped up in play and starts mouthing or if she tries to get too close to something I am eating or if she's barking. It works most of the time but if the behavior is really self rewarding like chasing the birds it's not that effective.