megan_

Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

3,311 posts in this topic

He is lovely, I'm already seeing Thistle being a little more confident when he's around.

His manners need some work but well, he is a baby. He's also missing one of his balls so I hope that shows up or i might have to desex earlier than planned (6 months or a year old instead of 2 years like planned). I can feel something just in front of his penis but i dont know if its his missing ball or his belly button lump. either way, tiny. i'll ask vet in april at his final c5 vaccination.

they did just have a minor tiff. i didn't see what caused it, im inclined to think he was bothering her when she was having a lay down based on the location, but she loudly told him off and chased him away. but no actual contact made, just a nasty shock for him. we did some calming exercises for both to ease hurt feelings then i popped him in his pen to give her a break

(thistle did just start a new dog school today so is more tired than usual, so thyme can go to my usual one)

but overall i quite like him, for a boy and a puppy lol ;)

also i got a new camera, a d5200! I broke the mirror box in my d3100 :'(

I am still learning how to use it but so far so good!

17437531_1736842803294882_58669607727010

persephone and Cazablanca like this

More noseworks down, they recently started weekly short classes. So I'm going fortnightly with both dogs I think. Thyme's a run-screamer lol.

Thistle is still lacking confidence, I think it's purely cause when a dog working there no other dogs around so it's just her and the people standing nearby. Kinda creeps her out. I recorded her working and her video will be used in a scared dog behaviour presentation seminar type thing. Lots of pretty typical "i'm scared" signals clearly given.

Thyme is helping though, he comes out and she practically turns into a social butterfly, and when he gets put away she keeps a bit of her courage.

Thyme's pretty solid and chill. Can't wait for my new clicker to arrive so we can start working on that.

She's been enjoying having a little buddy. Thinking by end of April I'll have them running together while I'm at work (he'll be much too big for his puppy pen by then anyway).

On this anniversary of Thistle being attacked, we have a guest over. Thistle has not barked or growled once!

She has done all these incredibly normal dog things:

- when i opened backdoor for thistle to come in if she wants, she came right in and head straight to the lounge even though she knew an unidentified stranger in the house

- sniffed hello

- after sniffing hello she decided it was cuddle time with this person she met once before, jumped on couch and demanded cuddles

- more cuddles

- was able to be left alone in the lounge with the guest while i took puppy out to potty without freaking out, panicking, going to her kennel/a corner

- only became a concerned "small" dog (hunched up and went low) a couple of times when being walked towards to. would hunch up and crawl away while pointing butt at guest and wagging (my go to when she has "this mood" is to stop going her way, ignore her and let her come out of it herself)

Thyme was all over the place excitement of a guest, he's a run over, sniff, run back to me kind of guy.

Never had her not bark or growl at a person before :) even her best human friends get a tentative BOOF...sniff sniff sniff

puppy therapy is helping!

Great update TtD. Also I feel lije we need lots of Thyme pictures. Much easier to add since the update. *Cough*

Papillon Kisses likes this

27 minutes ago, Scottsmum said:

Great update TtD. Also I feel lije we need lots of Thyme pictures. Much easier to add since the update. *Cough*

You need to come back to Instagram!!

Thank you. He's lovely & Thistle is one of my favorite DOL dogs. 

Taliecat likes this

17 minutes ago, Thistle the dog said:

ah lets see if i can do this. size limits...

he is growing like a particularly floppy weed

17933852_1864518037170210_50484443351340

^took this about 3 weeks ago

17934063_1721000628197720_60182837061736

^couple of days ago

17932335_1380790362013582_77145089272279

^last week, in the city at work (hence, tie ;) )

and here is a recent video of them playing :)

Ohhh, look at his gorgeous little face, I'd want to smoosh him all up.   :love:

Thistle and him playing bitey face, seriously cute!

Oh they are so cuuuute together! Lovely seeing Thistle playing so happily and intently with her little buddy :)

And since I'm here... Quinn has been more reactive on walks post-Molly than she was pre-Molly - OTT barking and some lunging towards dogs barking in their yards when we pass them on walks, and of course when you're walking three dogs together and one goes off they all do.

I was hoping it would settle down but it wasn't so we went back to basics a bit and I've been walking her on her own with lots of LAT using the clicker and cheese for treats. I haven't used the clicker with her for years but I wanted to be as quiet as possible and not cue her at all because she's been ignoring me anyway when I've tried to get her attention away from the other dogs. It's worked really well, she responded to the clicker straight away and is now checking in with me every step or too in case I might like to give her some cheese, even though I'm phasing it out now. She even stood still and kept looking back at me when we encountered a cat in the road the other day, which is even more than I expected (cats are her most favourite thing in the world ever, she desperately wants to befriend every one she sees).

So that's good but the next challenge will be to get it happening with all three dogs at once. And then reintroducing them all to other dogs a bit more. We used to go to the dog park regularly but haven't been in ages and ages because I've been without a car but I'm concerned about how the interactions with Molly might have affected how my dogs respond to other dogs up close so that will be interesting. I'll see if I can do some obedience classes with Quinn before I let her loose on the dog park I think so things are more controlled.

RuralPug likes this