How To Keep Away Flies From Pups?

Antoun

I have a little of just under 2 week old pups.

I just moved them outdoors, but found that they have since attracted a bunch of flies and i am starting to worry about it causing health problems for them.

I have called my vet but they said that there is nothing that can be done, just move them back indoors.

Just wanted if anyone can suggest what they do to keep flies away when outdoors? (Possibly more natural ways)

Someone suggested to me, to spray apple cider vinegar?

I usually don't move puppies out until 3 weeks but when they go outside they have a shed with bedding and a run lined with wood shavings that is completely renewed each week. The wood shavings repel the flies as well as making it easy to pick up wet and soiled patches. The puppies also never get poo on them because the shavings coat the poo so it isn't messy.

I usually don't move puppies out until 3 weeks but when they go outside they have a shed with bedding and a run lined with wood shavings that is completely renewed each week. The wood shavings repel the flies as well as making it easy to pick up wet and soiled patches. The puppies also never get poo on them because the shavings coat the poo so it isn't messy.

Dancinbcs...can you elaborate on the wood shavings please (ie. where do you purchase, is there a specific type of shaving etc)?

Any pics of it in use?

I would be careful if you have alot of flies. This year, the first time ever, one of my dogs got fly bite on their ears. I have never even heard of this and did not realise flies bite! I had to clean it everyday and coat her ears in cream. To completely get rid of it I had to keep her inside.

Dancinbcs...can you elaborate on the wood shavings please (ie. where do you purchase, is there a specific type of shaving etc)?

Any pics of it in use?

You would need to be very careful of where you source your wood shavings from. Many timbers are treated eg. pine shaving can be from treated pine and no doubt would not be safe for the babies. Make sure you tell your stockist what purpose you are using it for. Animal bedding.

I would be careful if you have alot of flies. This year, the first time ever, one of my dogs got fly bite on their ears. I have never even heard of this and did not realise flies bite! I had to clean it everyday and coat her ears in cream. To completely get rid of it I had to keep her inside.

I have found as dogs get older the fly bites get worse. Poor elderly dogs seem to suffer the most and need constant application to their ear tips to protect them. My poor old GSD with erect ears was relentlessly attacked. :(

Whereas the younger boy just "gave them the flick", but now at 6 years of age he too now needs to be monitored. :)

Edited by LizT

I have a little of just under 2 week old pups.

I just moved them outdoors, but found that they have since attracted a bunch of flies and i am starting to worry about it causing health problems for them.

I have called my vet but they said that there is nothing that can be done, just move them back indoors.

Just wanted if anyone can suggest what they do to keep flies away when outdoors? (Possibly more natural ways)

Someone suggested to me, to spray apple cider vinegar?

Maybe hang a few of those old fashioned sticky fly strips above the pen too.

Or those hanging fly traps they smell but they are fantastic for catching flies.. they come with a sache that you mix with water, once some go in they can't get out but it does smell which attracts more flies. We have them under our deck ESP when we have a BBQ...

Any pics of it in use?

The bagged shavings that are sold for horse stables are good and cheap if you can find them. Some of the Petbarn stores also have them in small bags and large bales to use as animal bedding. You need shavings, not sawdust.

I cover the concrete run with about 4" of shavings, removing wet and soiled patches with a pooper scooper as they occur. Once a week I sweep it all up onto a tarp and use it as garden mulch, disinfect the concrete and put down a new lot. The puppies and your clothes do get covered in it but it brushes out. Still much less work than cleaning up newpaper. The puppies stay clean, dry and sweet smelling and the flies hate it.

Fly netting over a frame?

I thought about this too but then watching little pup stick her face through the metal bars and try to grab hold of things just out of reach made me realise it would have to sit well clear of the frame of the pen to be safe.

I bought some QuickBayt a few days ago and finally got around to using it today and I have to say.. the results were impressive.

I painted it onto the clothes line in the dog's area (which is out of their reach and in an inside area so that the rain doesn't wash it away) and even as I was still painting it on further down, flies were already dropping. Seems to take only about five seconds of feeding. The bait has an attractant in it and also dries really quickly (but it dries a pale white so you can see where it is)

I swept up about sixty dead flies over the course of the afternoon so it was definitely worth the $30 the bottle cost (for 62.5g of powder) and apparently if it stops working as efficiently, you just have to spray it with a bit of water.

I was using those sticky fly strips (which work well enough but they're pretty gross to have to look at) but given how awesome the Quickbayt was, I think I'll be sticking with that now.

Vetnpet sell it.. http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/QUICKB?sc=9&category=162652 but apparently not the small bottles. Might be cheaper elsewhere But I didn't really look too hard*.

*Didn't look at all >.>