2 Quick Questions

Staffyluv

The reasonably new staffy cross has what looks like a sore eye this morning - tis a bit weepy and a little swollen (not really noticable unless you look) but still open and the white is a little red.

My theory is that he has some dirt in it (from moving my backyard around)..

As it is a bit inflammed, what is the best home remedy to wash it out?

He also decided yesterday that my cherry tomatoes were really delish and although I put it up on the table, he stood on his back legs yesterday afternoon and ate all the tomatoes off it (I feel he had some help from the Kelpie but he seems OK).

It does not look like he has eaten the plant, just the fruit but both red and green.

I do recall something about green tomatoes but can't for the life of me find anything on it (on DOL).

He had a normal poo this morning and has just done a bit more that is a bit runny - I guess the tomatoes don't agree with him.

He is a bit of a food thief and has worked out how to get to the fruit bowl and knocked off a couple of nectarines as well (he didn't eat the seed as they were both on his mat on the deck)...

He seems mostly OK, a bit flat but I think he might have a bit of a tummy ache from all that he got into yesterday.

Does this warrant a vet visit or should I just wash his eye, limit his food to a some frozen chook broth and let him rest?

Thank you so much - it has been so long since I dealt with a 'normal' dog (Ollie even with cancer was really easy and I just knew him)...

Eyes can get nasty very quickly and best to get a vet to check that out and make sure there are no tiny scratches on the eye. You could also then get the vets opinion on the stomach upset but general rule is no food for a day to rest the gut and then a bland chicken + rice diet.

I just had him to the vet...

No scratches on his eye but a bit of conjuctivitis, so we have drops...

Tummy seems fine but vet said dry food in half his usual amount only...

He seems OK, I am just a worrier..

I think it more important that you cared enough to enquire and take the dog to a vet. :thumbsup:

I always take my dogs to the vet if I have the slightest doubt that they are OK

I swear I own shares in our vets practice after the many, many thousands spent on our old stafford when he was diagnosed with MCT

I am the same Staffyluv if there is something I'm worried about off I go.I'm sure my vet would love to run out the back door when I arrive. :laugh:

As far as the cherry toms go Stan ate every single one off my wild growing bush last year with no ill effects but a lot of cherry tom plants were popping up around the lawn. :)

From memory, tomato plants are the same family as deadly night shade, so yes, care should be taken to limit ingestion of both the fruit & plant parts.

Thanks trifecta, I have a list from the vet on what to look out for. I was sure there was one here on DOL but when I searched I couldn't find it.

He is fine today but missing his little foster buddy, as he went to his forever home this morning...

I will just have to find him a new friend to play with but I really want to start some serious training with him.

His eye is still red today but we have eye cream and he goes back for a free follow up visit to check his eye...