What To Expect After A Spay

Lisey

Missy my 6 month old whippet was spayed last monday by thursday she was her normal self wanting to run and play which I've got under control at the moment. The vets here didn't send Missy home with any pain killers or antibiotics, That night I could tell Missy was in pain as she was shaking and very sooky. I gave her quater of one of buddys pain killers which seemed to help.

some are given a long lasting pain injection, I certainly would not be giving mine a pain killer that was prescribed for another dog

specially if she had already been given medication by the vet.

I think it's good they are a bit sooky and resting better than doing zoomies round as soon as they come home.

no one likes to see them in pain, but sometimes giving to much pain releif tends to let them run and jump to much

which is not ideal for at least the first few days

as pers said shaking can be a part of coming out of an anaesthetic

Edited by Frodo's mum

Having had many foster pups desexed - not to mention a fair few of my own dogs at older ages - I can say that the younger the dog, the quicker they seem to bounce back. Puppies are up and wanting to play almost as soon as the anaesthetic wears off... fat chance of keeping them quiet for any length of time...

The older dogs tend to act a little more gingerly for anywhere from 1 to 3 days... purely my own observations seeing my own and a fair number of rescues post op.

My "foster failure" girl Pickles was speyed yesterday (Friday) at 14 months old (was done later to ensure growth plate closure - she has mobility issues)... she is a little ginger and quieter today than normal, but otherwise not showing any signs of discomfort at all. Her treating vet has advised to kennel her for a few days so that she has the chance to heal a bit before she can go back to being her normal crazy self - she's fine in a kennel, but hates crates with a passion, so kennel it is.

T.

Generally any routine spays I've had done (cats and dogs) haven't had take-home anti-inflams or ABs. However the OP said that the vet said it was a bit more complicated due to a full bladder and recent season, so that's probably the reason for the anti-inflams.

ALL animals should be given an injection of pain relief/anti-inflams and ABs at the time of surgery though, and the non-steroidals generally last for up to 48hrs.

Edited by Kirty

That is an awesome looking wound! Healing well :)

Oh thats good then! I noticed around the actul stitch it looks a little red - I've been taking photos of it each day to compare.

Today was first day back at work and leaving her on her own.