Buying Hills Sciene Prescriptioin Diet In Se Qld

Roishana

My 14 year old Golden has just had emergency surgery for bladder stones and the vet has insisted that she now be fed on Hills Science CD which is a prescription diet.

Can anyone suggest where I could buy this where it might be cheaper than my local vet?

Thanks

You won't find it in retail stores and I don't think online either(never looked so not to sure there). You could shop around your local vets but I don't know wether or not your dog has to of been a patient there in the past to get the food or if vets will even have a much difference in price. Good luck with your search :thumbsup:.

You won't find it in retail stores and I don't think online either(never looked so not to sure there). You could shop around your local vets but I don't know wether or not your dog has to of been a patient there in the past to get the food or if vets will even have a much difference in price. Good luck with your search :thumbsup:.

Not sure if it's the same in Qld but in WA retail stores don't (or can't?) sell it.

As BJ suggested you can shop around at local vets. Your dog doesn't need to be a patient of a clinic for you to buy prescription food from them. I do this and save myself about $10 a bag on the Hills allergen free Z/D. I didn't have much luck finding it online but didn't try too hard TBH, as I'm not going to be buying it long term. Good luck. :)

The OP asked for cheaper than the local vet.

It is horrible expensive food especially when you check out the ingredients. I found my vet was about the same price as the online stores + freight. It is just expensive food.

If you have a vet hostital with a derm department or uni with the same, close to you, it may be slightly cheaper from there. :shrug:

I used to get the z/d from the derm at the uni and it was $119, compared to about $130 from my local vet.

I'm beginning to believe that these prescription diets are a crock of #### anyway. My cat was on that stuff for UTI crystal prevention - aside from vomiting it up all his life, he still died from a crystal blockage. Probably would have been better to put him on a natural BARF diet with no crappy corn/wheat/grains in it - which is what that prescription stuff is still full of.

I'm beginning to believe that these prescription diets are a crock of #### anyway. My cat was on that stuff for UTI crystal prevention - aside from vomiting it up all his life, he still died from a crystal blockage. Probably would have been better to put him on a natural BARF diet with no crappy corn/wheat/grains in it - which is what that prescription stuff is still full of.

Prescription Diets certainly have a place and many animals benefit from them. Some owners cannot/will not prepare suitable meals from scratch.

kiwikitten if your cat could not tolerate the diet why did you continue to feed it?

The L/D prescription diet has saved my dog's life. Currently watching her doing zoomies and playing with her mate. So I don't think it should be totally dismissed.

There isn't a suitable meal I could make up and feed her. I can give her the odd alternative meal but it usually results in some fluid build up.

The diets are specific for certain types of crystals/stones. Did you ever get an analysis on the crystals? That could be why the food was not effective. There are struvite, calcium oxalates and urate stones all of which require separate diets.