Puppies And Barf

becks

A few people now have mentioned to me they are thinking about following a natural/raw diet for their new puppy. At the moment, mine get a mix of raw and kibble (the pups) and I am changing the adults over to more of a raw food diet - so I am wondering if anyone would share the info they give to new puppy people, being new to this type of feeding I am not sure what to tell them in an easy to follow way.

I gave them the recipe I used for their puppy glop, and what was given in combination with that... however I raised my pups on raw and kibble because I knew that some only wanted to feed kibble.

I also told them that it was really their own choice what diet they fed, but made recommendations if they decided on kibble.

I also purchased a book on feeding raw "real food for dogs and cats" which I gave them in their puppy pack.

I made it simple by giving them a diet sheet with all the things that they could feed and some examples of amounts and some combinations.

My last litter were raised completely on raw :)

Edited by Aziah

I feed raw and kibble. With the puppies the kibble is soaked in half boiled water and half puppy milk.

I like to feed some kibble to the Cavaliers as it is one way of ensuring they get a "crunch clean" with every meal. Particularly the girl who isn't keen to chew bones. :rolleyes:

I tried "Turkey Mince" with my little one this time and she loves it. I couldn't find any chicken mince and since it was post Xmas when she started on solids there seemed to be plenty of Turkey mince around. :laugh:

Basic info on my webpage as a 'starting point' for education. There are some links there to info that may be handy as handouts or references etc for puppy buyers. Showing them what you do as well as just talking about it also helps as people take in more of what they see. If you want to talk to even more 'rawbreeders' about what they do there is a link to a list I run on my webpage info.

We do the same for pups as we do for the adults, but chop the meats smaller. We use more organ meat than we would give them, but we include our pasta/veggie mix, goat milk or yogurt and water to make it an attractive sloppy mess suitable for any hungry puppy! They love! (well they do tend to swim in it first until they figure out it's better to eat it!)

Pups grow fat and happy...no kibble here for over two years now....we're very happy with the way the pups grow on a natural diet.

angelsun, I mean more for when the pups have gone to their new homes, something as a starter for the new owners - why it is a good diet and starting points for research about it.

The pups have been raised on kibble with some raw, so people can make their own minds up but this is the first time I've had new owners talking about following a raw diet.

Thanks Espinay, will have a look at your links when the pups quiet down later!

I include in the puppy owners manual, a guideline for feeding. It simply explains the proportions of meat to carbs etc that are recommended for growing puppies or maintanence at maturity. What I include is how I'm feeding them before they leave....perhaps not in the most precise measurements (blob of this, or heaping spoon of that) but haven't had any issues with this way over the years to be understood by new owners. Most will either give up and open a bag of something or have put the time into learning how to feed a dog without Purina's help.