Tugging Troubleshooting

Kavik

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An update on our tugging. Kaos focuses on me as soon as I go out for a training session and will engage in tugging straight away. I am now having success at getting Kaos to tug outside the front gate! I haven't tried it 'cold' yet (straight from the house to outside the gate and get start the tugging there). What I have been doing is getting the tugging going in the front yard, and then move to the gate, do one of the Recallers games PB&J to outside the gate and present the tug outside the gate and tug there. I can now also do another PB&J totally outside the gate, and another to come back into the yard.

Our biggest hurdle is still the retrieve :o

I know of the Shirley Chong method. It's bringing back the tug that is the issue. Not sure whether shaping a retrieve with a different object would help? Maybe? I guess it couldn't hurt.

:) oh sorry - misinterpreted. Yes, it may not translate, but probably worth doing just for fun anyway, with something else.

I have trouible with Rory doing 'victory laps' with a fdrisbee or tug toy if I've thrown it and if Kirra is around. If she's tied up or out of the picture, he brings the toy/frisbee back.

When I was teaching the 2x2 weaves, I used a lot of handler motion - running away from him - maybe with another tuggie, to get him to bring the target tug back for a game. (it had the advantage of stopping him coming back through the poles. So you could try (if you haven't already) having another toy and playing with it excitedly moving around in 'prey' fashion, and then huge praise and tug if Kaos brings the tug back, then rinse and repeat. (If anyof that makes sense - at work - busy day :D

The last time I tried to play the two toy game I got a blank look from Kaos - "what are you doing, I already have a toy nom nom nom why would I bother with that one!" :o He has stopped the lying down to nom on the toy now lol.

:laugh: sounds like Kaos is smarter than Rory. Rory is a total toy boy, and will fall for the two toy trick pretty easily (although Kirra does have to be out of the picture - he won't challenge her :rofl:

• 2 months later...

An update on our tugging.

I have been concentrating on getting more intense tugging with good weight shift in the backyard and tugging around distractions and different times of the day and continuing to work on our retrieve.

So far he will tug

* If I put treats in his food bowl

* If I put his favourite toy on the ground

* After getting a treat (using a SG game)

* As a reward for restrained recall

* At the start of each training session

* Before a walk

* Before he gets his dinner

Edited by Kavik

• 4 months later...

An update on our tugging:

WOOHOO! He did it! Kaos tugged at the park! After lots of work at home and just outside the house, where he is doing well, I decided to bite the bullet and ask him to tug at the park on a walk. I brought the Kong Wubba which I thought was my best bet for getting him to tug somewhere new. He did a tug-retrieve-tug-release-tug-retrieve-PB&J in two different locations at the park! I am so excited - we may get tugging at training after all!

WOOHOO! He did it! Kaos tugged at the park! After lots of work at home and just outside the house, where he is doing well, I decided to bite the bullet and ask him to tug at the park on a walk. I brought the Kong Wubba which I thought was my best bet for getting him to tug somewhere new. He did a tug-retrieve-tug-release-tug-retrieve-PB&J in two different locations at the park! I am so excited - we may get tugging at training after all!

Well done to you and Kaos!

Well done to you and Kaos!

Thanks! We have been working on it for about a year, and I am so happy with our progress!