Egg Shell

giraffez

I was reading an article that mentions that grinding egg shells and giving it to dogs is like giving them pure calcium and that its really good for them. Is anyone doing this and if so, how do you prepare it. Do you wash the egg shells and dry it and then grind it to powder? How often do you give this to your dogs and how much at a time?

My dogs get an egg or two per week. I crack them into the bowl and the whole lot is eaten. No preparation and the whole lot is finished very quickly. (I am also very popular during baking as the dogs get the shells then too and I have 6 waiting pleading for a bit of shell!!)

It is the ratio with phosphorus that is important, but I aim for a balance over a week or two, rather than trying to balance each and every meal and if you feed raw meat you should be fine. You certainly won't go wrong with an occasional egg. Just remember if you feed the insides of the egg to feed the whole egg not just the yolk. The body is pretty good at regulating slight irregularities, particularly with how much they will absorb from food :)

If you feed raw meat without bone, then you will need the added calcium as the calcium/phosperous ratio will be out.

If you feed raw then you can adjust the about of meat and bone to allow for the additional calcium of the diet in the form of eggs. (As opposed to just feeding kibble where adding eggs would throw out the balance ;) )