Stating Out

DAVERI

Im keen to start a new hobby.

Im missing not being involved with horses anymore and always liked the idea of showing a dog/dogs.

any pointers as to how to get started.

are there any breeds i should keep clear of (starting out).

I like a range of breeds and sizes.

Bull terrier, Dobermann, cocker Spaniel, dachshund, pointer, Engish Setter, German Shorthaired pointer, miniature pinscher, Yorkshire Terrier, staffordshire bull terrier just to name a few. Some of which i have owned over the years or as a child.

I realise that I would need to research any breed i consider and that i need to take into account the home we have and time.

I do have kids ranging from 2-12. I live on acreage. I do have other pets (chickens, 2 cats and a 3 yr old staffy). Someone is just about always home. as my partner works from home. I have a far bit of spare time everyday. And never go on holidays.

Im hoping that it will also be something i can also do with my oldest daughter.

My partner has grown up showing chickens but Im just not that keen on them other than their eggs.

And I'm not looking to rush in.

I do have my name down with a breeder for a MBT but they don't have any litters planned as of yet and thay also have a number of other people on a list.

im open to sugestions

I would head down to a local show and check out the dogs. Talk to the the people showing (but avoid talking to them when they are ringside as it can be a bit busy) about the breed and the fact that you are interested in showing as a hobby.

I'm not too sure of the show schedule in Queensland (maybe a local can help you out with that).

Then you can decide which breed suits you the best and you can go from there. The people you meet at the shows will be able to point you in the right direction to obtain a show dog. The only general advise I can give is that I found it much easier to purchase a boy when I started out.

Good luck! It is a really fun hobby and you will meet a lot of great people!

Personally I only show a breed that I am happy to own as a pet, my dogs live in my house with me and the cats, I couldn't get a dog just to show, they must have the temperament etc that I want. ie I would never get a coated dog to show no matter how successful they might be in the ring cause I am not interested in maintaining a show coat. I am happy to just admire them.

yes go along to shows would be a good start and also join your states dog controlling body :D

if you are wanting to show you must become a member

for you that would be DOGSQLD try Googling it, sorry im not sure of the link,

when you are a member you will get a magazine each month which

has great articles and also lists of shows when and where they are on,

and also you should try and join a local Kennel club this will also help,

and also try and find a Breed club of the breed you wish to show if there is one, and again become a member,

The cocker,english setter & yorkie will require dedicated coat work .

The cocker & ES will need clipping,trimming,hand stripping & maintenance baths weekly especially the ES to keep it white .

Both lovley dogs to show but maintaining show coats can be time consuming plus the added expense of clippers,blades,dryers ,scissors etc etc .

Obviously smooth coats are simple wash & wear & off you go also applying to your backyard .

So what it comes down to is how much coat work you are prpepared to do in between shows

i agree the grooming alone on some of those breeds on acerage will be a challenge!! i think the best starting point is to really think out which breed u want... narrow it down to one - u may find if u contact breeders in all the breeds u named that will put them off.. once u know what breed u want research research research... whoever you end up getting a puppy from will most likely mentor u for some time in the breed and assist u.

Welcome Daveri,

I have been back showing dogs since July 2011 after a 15 year break, my daughter is 11, I have had to retire from the horses after a shoulder injury and was looking for some thing to do with my daughter and I love the whole concept of showing..

We have an assortment of breeds now, a Labrador, whippet, Chinese crested and Norwegian elkhound.

If you are prepared to do the time grooming there is no reason why you cant have a coated dog on acreage, while I worked on a harvesting crew with Headers and trucks I had an afghan in full coat, you do need to choose if it is going to be a full time show dog or part-time and how competitive you want to be, grass and twigs break coat, the quality of your grooming products will reap your rewards.

Do your research, We are blessed to have some very lovely dogs who are giving us much joy in the showring and out. Our whippet chases rabbits and has also won classes in show, they are our pets foremost and any results they do in the show ring are a bonus.

Where are you located? I am in Vic come and say hello I you are at any shows.

Cheers,

Rhonda

Thanks im on QLD.

I have a lot of breed books many from when i was a kid that i've kept over the years, but are there any books relating to showing and what are good grooming books.

Over the years I had horses i read alot but always tried to get Australian books. just found it easyer or more helpful to read it how its done here insted of England or America.

is it the same with dog books?

Any one recommend some MUST READS.

Grooming books can vary depends on the country it was written & depends how you want to groom the dog.

English Setters is a classic example of alot of varying grooming methods ,it comes down to your preferance & how much or little you want to do.

Look at the DOL pages for the coated breeds & see if the grooming amounts is something that you would truly enjoy.

Being on an acreage is doable BUT a good coat can be easily ruined if running through twigs & not being removed .

Mine run an acreage but i put the extra hours to ensure the coat is never ruined that also includes nightly pee feather baths all year