A Snake Catcher Video

snake catcher

Speaking of long necked turtles,

this one was hit by a car so we went to Karingal vet hospital and got her fixed up.

Just watched your Vids amazing job you do, how is the Turtle doing ?

May I ask if you have ever been bitten

i spoke to the vet today, the turtle has had her operation and will make a full recovery..

This tiger snake was rescued from a shovel hero a few weeks ago, stitched up and is now ready for release.

Here I am taking the stitches out in preparation for release.

Oh yeah, Ive never been hospitalised from a snakebite,

And gillybob, brownsnakes make me nervous to so youre not alone there mate.

Edited by snake catcher

Yikes! You are very brave and great with snakes SC.

Can I ask what the difference is between a tame snake (pet) and a wild snake (if their is such a term :laugh: )

Is it to do with how they are raised or is it the type of snake? or a combo of both?

That pet snake showed no agression. I nearly died before I knew that though, as you grabed it with both your hands without your hooky thing!

The english lady made me laugh when she said "Oh, he is looking at me"!

We went for a walk with the kids through the national park on saturday. I gave the kids big sticks to tap on the ground and we stamped our feet (must have looked a sight)

My husband said I was being paranoid, no sooner than that came out of his mouth a huge red belly slithered in front of him off the path and into the long grass!

A pet snake is one you would buy from a pet shop or licenced snake owner / breeder.

A wild snake is obviously a snake that was born and bred in the bush.

Most snakes will calm down and be less inclined to bite and I have caught many wild snakes that

would seem to the observer to be tame.

Wild snakes only bite when they get scared or hurt,

so that is why I try not to do either when I relocate them.

I dont think any snake, wild or captive, ever actually becomes 'dog tame'.

They become more tolerant of us and they soon work out wether you are respecting their needs or not.

The lost pet python at the English ladies place was cold,

so I knew that it would be less likely to bite me if I was gentle with it.

Nic, it dosnt hurt to carry a stick,

but the most important thing is to be aware of where you put your foot down and be aware of what is around you.

Cheers

This thread just caught my eye.....had to call a snake catcher yesterday too.

Sitting in lounge on computer when something slithered by and went under tv. I dont know my snakes too well so called the snake guy to be safe....turned out to be an Eastern Brown which apparently are not friendly,lol

Fortunately it must have slithered passed the sleeping dogs :eek:

Was told that spraying Phenyl around outside will help keep them away :confused: anyone know if this is true?

He also said that if they're climbers (I see them sometimes on top of the brick wall and on my bathroom louvre window ! )that usually they're not venomous.....is that an old wives tail ?

You say you've never been hospitalised with a snake bite but how many times have you been bitten and by what type of snakes??

I really enjoy watching the way you are so calm around the snakes you rescue and release. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nina,

It cant hurt to spray phenyl around but there are venomous snakes that climb to.

Tiger snakes love to raid birdnests and readily climb trees to do it.

Where you live in hervy bay, they are most likely pythond and harmless tree snakes in the trees but not always.

I have been bitten by most animals, from insects to wombats and goannas and

venomous snakes as well as ducks, dogs, cats and pretty much everything.

I have never been hospitalised by a venomous snake and i put that down to dumb luck mostly.

I worked on Phillip Island for the Superbike races last month and took this bit of video which some people might find disturbing..

Watch it to the end

Interesting video SC.

I did know snakes have two penis's as we had to remove one one from a python - The guys comment about why don't we cracked me up :). Some how he damaged it and it get very infected and didn't respond to treatment so he had it removed. Was very interesting. ALso interesting dealing with a rather sore pee'd off 7 foot python!!