Microchipping Query

Clyde

My local Facebook pets page constantly has litters of pups/kittens for free. I am just about to leave the page as I'm not interested in reading about all the BYB'ing going on. Anyway, there is currently a debate about microchiping.

Apparently vets wont chip pets under 12weeks of age, and it is okay to give puppies/kittens away with no chips provided they are younger than 12weeks.

Now I think this is bull. I have just had a litter of kittens chipped at 8 weeks of age.

Does anyone know the facts about it being okay to give a pup away unchipped because it is younger than 12 weeks?

All dogs and cats must be microchipped prior to be given away or sold, 12 weeks or not

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/caa1998174/

PART 2 - COMPULSORY IDENTIFICATION AND REGISTRATION OF COMPANION ANIMALS

<a href="http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/caa1998174/s8.html">8. Identification required from 12 weeks of age and before sale

http://www.ccac.net.au/files/Compulsory_microchipping_UAM06Garrett_0.pdf

This is a two step process, with identification with a microchip

by 12 weeks of age, point of sale, or change of ownership,

whichever occurs first. Lifetime registration is required by 6

months of age.

In Victoria (and I believe S.A.)the microchip number must be quoted in any advertisement, as of January 1st 2012. I don't know about giving away.

But all registered dogs must be microchopped before being sold.

I have my pups done at 6 weeks as I can't have them health tested by the Veterinary Opthalmologist without them being 'chipped' first, and this is done at 6 weeks(litter screening).

Usual thing BYB's not microchipping. New owners try to register with Council cannot do till chipped.

Yeah well now I believe that if they want to advertise any dogs or cats on say, "Gumtree" or the like they HAVE to microchip first AND quote the number in the ad.

Well done Clyde, Im sure that wouldnt have happened if you had stayed silent! :thumbsup:

In NSW anyone who breeds dogs and cats should comply with the

Breeding dogs and cats code of practice

http://www.dpi.nsw.g...of-practice.pdf

edited to add...

Yes, and vaccinated, it always surprises me why anyone would buy a new pet if it has never been near a vet and hasnt had at least one vaccination.

8.2.1.8 Kittens and puppies must be vaccinated against common infectious diseases in accordance with best practice clinical guidelines, in consultation with a veterinary practitioner.

Edited by Andrea

Yes in Vic it is now compulsory for all pets to be microchipped

we had our pups microchiped within days of their birth, my vet asked us if we wanted it done like now :D or wait till they were a little older

he already knew our feelings about chipping, all for it, he had jumped the gun & had the gear ready :laugh:

Well done Clyde, Im sure that wouldnt have happened if you had stayed silent! :thumbsup:

edited to add...

Yes, and vaccinated, it always surprises me why anyone would buy a new pet if it has never been near a vet and hasnt had at least one vaccination.

8.2.1.8 Kittens and puppies must be vaccinated against common infectious diseases in accordance with best practice clinical guidelines, in consultation with a veterinary practitioner.

Thanks again Andrea, so that included BYB's then? Even one off litters?

edited to add...

Thanks again Andrea, so that included BYB's then? Even one off litters?

The quote is from the code of practice but the NSW Companion Animal Act which is the actual law, also includes microchipping and vaccination of all puppies/dogs and kittens/cats before being sold or given away by anyone. That includes a one off oops litter.

Microchipping is not compulsary here in SA yet for dogs or cats. Dogs & cats are advertised here without having to quote a microchip number. Dogs can be registered with the council without a microchip.

Not sure on Dogs SA for registering a pedigree litter.

Mine are all microchipped anyway but there is no space or request part on the litter reg forms for a microchip number. Every state varies.

Microchipping is not compulsary here in SA yet for dogs or cats. Dogs & cats are advertised here without having to quote a microchip number. Dogs can be registered with the council without a microchip.

Not sure on Dogs SA for registering a pedigree litter.

Mine are all microchipped anyway but there is no space or request part on the litter reg forms for a microchip number. Every state varies.

Christina,

My recent girl was sired by a South Austrlian Dog and he is over 5 and not microchipped but his breeder told me that ALL puppies as of January 1st this year must be microchipped. This also included imports.

Edited by LizT

Yes in Vic it is now compulsory for all pets to be microchipped

we had our pups microchiped within days of their birth, my vet asked us if we wanted it done like now :D or wait till they were a little older

he already knew our feelings about chipping, all for it, he had jumped the gun & had the gear ready :laugh:

Owww...that's a big tube needle to put in a newborn toy breed!!! :eek: I wouldn't consider it until 6 weeks personally. You can feel it under the skin even then, I think you'd be able to see it in a pup a few days old. They are too fragile before two weeks IMO.

Edited by LizT

I was gonna say my OH is a registered microchipper and we've done several litters of less then 12 weeks cos at 12 weeks generally the breeders have sent them off home.. I think the last litter we did was about 6/7 weeks of age..

Although it is compulsory to microchip dogs and cats before selling or giving them away in NSW, there must be a lot not complying. Both my current council and previous council have free microchipping days several times a year to cope with the non compliance.