What Has Happened To Child Handlers Classes

teddywaddy

Hi folks,

I am concerned about the lack of child handler classes in country Victoria.

When we started showing back in July the were regular classes at the shows we attended.

Since Alexandra show there has been none in country Victoria. how are we supposed to keep our children engaged in showing, my daughter is sick of showing and is disappointed when there are no handlers at the shows we attend.

Any ideas about who I can contact???

All All Breeds have to hold atleast 1 junior handler heat in the year so they may be waiting for a show with more suitable weather,i now many of the Juniors in Vic are held before the show starts as well but i think with the extremem heat policy summer day shows area bout getting it finished

We are in country Vic and my girls finished the year off with a number of junior handler classes. The last two shows for the year both offered them.

Kathy Humphries does a fantastic job at so many of the country shows ensuring there are classes and prizes for the kids even the tiny tots get a run around and a goodie. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by Sir Sniffalot

A lot of the Junior handling judging has been very poor, clubs are not always using accredited JH judges. They should be judging the handling, not going over the dogs or putting up the best dogs. If these wins are to count towards a top national JH, there should be conformity with judges.

Love seeing the Tiny Tot classes at the country shows.

The judges should be going over the dog that is part of assessing a handlers ability to handle a dog each breed is unique with special features that should be shown off or varying techniques used to show the good points & bad points after all that is what assessing a good handler is .They don't need to go over like breed judging but a judge should put there hands over enough to see what control the child has & how they deal with a dog that may not be co operative or stands there perfectly but does nothing

The problem is many people judge from the outside with no clue what the judges encounter in the ring & what some children can & can't do .

Having judged Juniors for many years i see the major mistakes children make that the outside folk don't see & understand is a major bobo that you then need to assess against each child .

The judges should be going over the dog that is part of assessing a handlers ability to handle a dog each breed is unique with special features that should be shown off or varying techniques used to show the good points & bad points after all that is what assessing a good handler is .They don't need to go over like breed judging but a judge should put there hands over enough to see what control the child has & how they deal with a dog that may not be co operative or stands there perfectly but does nothing

The problem is many people judge from the outside with no clue what the judges encounter in the ring & what some children can & can't do .

Having judged Juniors for many years i see the major mistakes children make that the outside folk don't see & understand is a major bobo that you then need to assess against each child .

It is printed on page 6 of the ANKC Junior Handlers manual that a judge should not go over a dog. The JH shows the bite where applicable.

And yes I am an accredited JH judge. I notice that your location is overseas, maybe your rules are different from our ANKC.

Edited by capanash

It is printed on page 6 of the ANKC Junior Handlers manual that a judge should not go over a dog. The JH shows the bite where applicable.

And yes I am an accredited JH judge. I notice that your location is overseas, maybe your rules are different from our ANKC.

Yes i now ,it ones of the rules dropped out that in my view shouldn't have,they have chopped & changed the shoulda/woulda rules for so many years now .

Going over a dog without examining it for breed ring takes such little time compared to the other exercises that can be done & certainly was a good way to see which child new about the breed they where are handling than it having 4 legs & made up for those where the breeds arent mouthed so technically those breeds don't get anything done to them in the one on one

I will still check with my hands though any coated breed where you can not tell straight away if stacked correctly ,there aren't many breeds though that fall in this area .