Clippers For Springer Spaniel

quangle

I have a springer spaniel and I am wondering if anyone can recommend any particular brand of clippers for me to purchase?

I see this site http://www.dogclipperspro.com.au/ has what looks like some good specials at the moment, but I have no idea what to look for in a set of clippers. Can anyone suggest a good brand, or at least advise me on what are good features in a set.

Thanks

Edited by quangle

I have a springer spaniel and I am wondering if anyone can recommend any particular brand of clippers for me to purchase?

I see this site http://www.dogclipperspro.com.au/ has what looks like some good specials at the moment, but I have no idea what to look for in a set of clippers. Can anyone suggest a good brand, or at least advise me on what are good features in a set.

Thanks

Can't advise on which are the best clippers for you but it would also pay to check out clipperworld (advertise on DOL banner) - as they have a good variety and price on clippers too.

Thanks

I agree. Contact the guys at Clipper World for advice as they have the cheapest price and offer after sales service.

The breed of dog is irrelevant to which clippers to use. They all clip its a case of finding what suits you.

I used the Oster 2 speed for years but when they died ( about 15 years on ) I got the Wahl KM 2 speed. These are much better. A nice shape to hold that feels better in my hand & they don't get hot as quickly. Lighter weight too.

Basic features are 1 or 2 speed.

The shape of the clipper.

How quickly it heats up.

Can't think of anything else really.

Oster, Andis etc and those in the same price bracket with interchangable blades are the best, as they have the power to get through the coat (the cheap ones from pet shops will only manage part of the dog before dying!!).

I am newish to clipping and bought a pair of Wahl SS (meaning single speed). They have been great, dont seem to be too heavy and easy to handle. And, I havent nicked my boy yet! lol. A couple of tips that my breeder gave me were to make sure I only clip when my fella has been recently washed otherwise it bluntens the blades apparently, and always drop a little bit of machinery oil onto the blade when finished using them.

I have an Andis set at home that I purchased from Big W for about $99. I've never used it as I purchased it to use on Poochie when she developed more of her horrendous mats however she was PTS before it happened again.

I'd be willing to sell mine (brand new but opened) to anyone if they'd like. I'll need to go home and check if it's single speed or not but I know it comes with different length clipper attachments in a nice silvery grey hard carry case.

I'd be happy with $70 + free postage.

I have an Andis set at home that I purchased from Big W for about $99. I've never used it as I purchased it to use on Poochie when she developed more of her horrendous mats however she was PTS before it happened again.

I'd be willing to sell mine (brand new but opened) to anyone if they'd like. I'll need to go home and check if it's single speed or not but I know it comes with different length clipper attachments in a nice silvery grey hard carry case.

Could you tell me what model Andis clippers - thanks

It says on the back of the clipper that the model is PM-1. Hope that helps.

I've just opened it up again and it's a 1 speed clipper and is still in the original bubble wrap and instructions are all intact. There's oil and cleaning brush and I even forgot I'd bought a pair of hair scissors which are still in the case waiting to be used so I'll throw those in too!

Could you tell me what model Andis clippers - thanks

Only get the Andis AGC2 as these are a professional quality clipper. The PM1 will not cope with a spaniel coat and is only suited to trimming.

Wahl KM2. Love em! You'll need to purchase blades as well and figure out what length you will be trimming. For grooming 1 dog I use several blades: #30, #10, then I find most people like a #5 blade length but some people prefer shorter (like myself) a #7 or longer a #3. Anything longer than a #3 and you'll start using snap on combs over a #30.

For a springer, I would say to just get a 10 blade (which is short and usually free with a new clipper) and a 7f blade (the 'f' blades have all their teeth and do a smooth clip, the 'skip tooth' blades eg 5,7 etc will do a more choppy job best used for roughing off before a bath in long coated breeds.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say stay away from any of the skip tooth blades as they are alot more dangerous to use, and definitely not recommended for beginers.

I am another fan of the Wahl KM2, however lots of people quite like andis.

Edited by denali