Sore Leg From Licking

shyfig

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone might be able to help me please. Jed (BC now 21mths) is prone to excessive licking of his front paws and legs. He has over the last day or two developed an area of about 2.5cm long x 1.5cm high red raw on the upper inside of front leg. The licking of his paws and legs is quite constant but the rawness has emerged only in the last few days. I have heard of "handwashing" in dogs in OCD's (and am very familiar with this in human terms as I have two boys with OCD...primarily excessive hand washing).

So my questions are:

1. Could it be part of doggy Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

2. What can I use on it to soothe it...treat it...that won't be dangerous for Jed?

Have you been to the vet to rule out an allergy/skin problem?

No I haven't yet...but I can't see how it would be an allergic symptom surfacing in only one area? As well nothing has changed in his diet/shampoo etc. He has been "handwashing for nearly as long as we have had him (17 mths) but it is obviously getting worse. Will be trying to get an appt at the vet this week...just searching for ideas now to tie me over.

Edited by shyfig

Hi

I have a dog that licks a hole in his front leg when an old shoulder injury is acting up.

Maybe your dog has or had an injury and refered pain or even some sort of stress started the licking which became a habit or maybe he is still sore or has a fungus. I have seens some dogs with allegies where it is only really noticable on the feet,I would get him checked for injury as well as for an allergy or fungus in his feet.

Good luck with Jed

Cheers Lee

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone might be able to help me please. Jed (BC now 21mths) is prone to excessive licking of his front paws and legs. He has over the last day or two developed an area of about 2.5cm long x 1.5cm high red raw on the upper inside of front leg. The licking of his paws and legs is quite constant but the rawness has emerged only in the last few days. I have heard of "handwashing" in dogs in OCD's (and am very familiar with this in human terms as I have two boys with OCD...primarily excessive hand washing).

So my questions are:

1. Could it be part of doggy Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

2. What can I use on it to soothe it...treat it...that won't be dangerous for Jed?

I think I have found some info:

My link

Link doesn't work for me.

Smooch licks his back leg, it has been going on for years now. Vet has checked him and can find nothing. He only does it when I am home. Off a night he has to ware a muzzle as he only does it when I am asleep, he sneaks to the bottom of the bed so that I don't notice him. I have now also had to put the muzzle on him while I am in the shower, he will come in to make sure I am actually in the shower than he goes out onto the lounge and start licking. He is just so cunning in doing it. He never licks when I am not home.

Edited by smooch

Sounds very much like a Lick Granuloma which required medication from the Vet as they become infected from the continual application of Saliva from licking the area.

best to have a Vet check it out as these can become very nasty and apread easily from the transference of the bacteria from one place to another with the dog constantly licking.

Just beat me to it IR.

I had an old girl with one on her front leg, the vet tried everything, antibiotics, creams etc and was going to book her in to surgically debride the area. This vet was a locum and i wasn't comfortable with her and as my regular vet was due back in a week i chose to wait and see him. He treated it with honey, i would put a generous about on the wound and the strap it. From memory it only took a couple of weeks to fully heal.

A friend of mine just alerted me to this thread & asked me to post based on my experience. It may be a skin irritation/eczema. My dog's legs, paws & tummy looked like this .....

P1000612.jpg

P1000609.jpg

P1000615.jpg

A friend put me onto 'Nana's Farm Beauty Products'. I got their "Doggy Eczema Cream" & now my dog looks like this ....

P1000774.jpg

P1000769.jpg

P1000771.jpg

Sounds very much like a Lick Granuloma which required medication from the Vet as they become infected from the continual application of Saliva from licking the area.

best to have a Vet check it out as these can become very nasty and apread easily from the transference of the bacteria from one place to another with the dog constantly licking.

That's what my Link led to...info on Lick Granuloma. I agree with you and think this sounds like the problem. Will definately have the vet look at it this week. He's too precious not to

Thanks everyone for advice and photos. The area on Jeds leg is very smooth...not rough, scaly or oozing anything. But it may well be on the way to that state. I will let everyone know the vets verdict and share on here as others may benefit also.

A friend of mine just alerted me to this thread & asked me to post based on my experience. It may be a skin irritation/eczema. My dog's legs, paws & tummy looked like this .....

A friend put me onto 'Nana's Farm Beauty Products'. I got their "Doggy Eczema Cream" & now my dog looks like this ....

That stuff looks great. Just tried to buy some online but it is the only product it wont let me put into the shopping basket. Will have to call them and find out why.

That stuff looks great. Just tried to buy some online but it is the only product it wont let me put into the shopping basket. Will have to call them and find out why.

The products are great. Their face creams are amazing. They actually put silk in their hand creams & it's like having a mini "Spa Date" every time I use one of their products. Very inexpensive and the products actually work. :thumbsup: I order up big time to get the best bang for my buck on the postage cost. I love "Nana's Farm "Products. :D

Their web site is a bit "clunky" to deal with from my experience. Drop them an email & you'll be good to go. Their products are "1st Class" & have solved a few problems for me that had the vets scratching their heads with "Not sure how we can fix this". :)

P1000612.jpg

P1000609.jpg

P1000615.jpg

P1000774.jpg

P1000769.jpg

P1000771.jpg

Thanks for the info and photos. It sounds like you had a good outcome. Was your dog continually licking beforehand and after the treatment did he start licking anymore?

Edited by shyfig

Spirit's sores are related to the heat. She's gradually building ammunity with each hot season we get. I was pretty impressed with the eczema cream, because it immediately stopped her from continually licking & chewing the spots. It took 3 months of daily application to the sores & red spots, but it did the trick where nothing else had. I was stunned to see fur on her chest for the first time ever when it appeared !!! She's got a few red spots this season, but I'm dealing with them straight away so she doesn't start to chew on them & make them bleed. The cream is also excellent at quickly healing any cuts humans get as well. I work with sharp knives. I wasn't paying proper attention & I accidently sliced my little finger almost to the bone. Stemmed the bleeding, applied the cream & bandaged. Within 12 hours, there was only a little nick & I could work without any covering. One of my Sheps copped a decent "serving" from my old girl on her ear. I washed the wound in salty water & applied the cream. After 3 days, I washed the area, as it was all crusty, to view the damage & decide what to do next. I was stunned to see it was completely healed, with not even a tooth scrape as a scar, like you'd normally get. A friend recently said she was also using the cream for mozzie bites & it was fantastic. I've recommended it to teens to quickly heal those face break outs they get, so they don't pick at the sore or get scarring. And the list goes on & on ....

Edited by GSD's 4EVER

Spirit's sores are related to the heat. She's gradually building ammunity with each hot season we get. I was pretty impressed with the eczema cream, because it immediately stopped her from continually licking & chewing the spots. It took 3 months of daily application to the sores & red spots, but it did the trick where nothing else had. I was stunned to see fur on her chest for the first time ever when it appeared !!! She's got a few red spots this season, but I'm dealing with them straight away so she doesn't start to chew on them & make them bleed. The cream is also excellent at quickly healing any cuts humans get as well. I work with sharp knives. I wasn't paying proper attention & I accidently sliced my little finger almost to the bone. Stemmed the bleeding, applied the cream & bandaged. Within 12 hours, there was only a little nick & I could work without any covering. One of my Sheps copped a decent "serving" from my old girl on her ear. I washed the wound in salty water & applied the cream. After 3 days, I washed the area, as it was all crusty, to view the damage & decide what to do next. I was stunned to see it was completely healed, with not even a tooth scrape as a scar, like you'd normally get. A friend recently said she was also using the cream for mozzie bites & it was fantastic. I've recommended it to teens to quickly heal those face break outs they get, so they don't pick at the sore or get scarring. And the list goes on & on ....

Wow! I'm definately going to get some

like.jpg

They're located in Tassie, so if you're into "Australian Made", they're perfect for you to buy products from & support.

My OH has this gross thing on both his legs (back & front) that has been gradually getting worse over about the last 10 years. Every now & then it would get so painful he could hardly walk & he'd go to the Doctor's for anti-biotics & some sort of linament. It would stop the pain, but the "infection" never went away & he'd cycle round to the Dr's again. Very expensive to not get a result or get the damn thing cleared up.

I was getting such a terrific result for Spirit (white dog in those photos & my siggie), that I took some photos of his legs & feet & emailed them for their opinion. She recommended the "Psor" cream 3 times a day. Got enough pots so that he could apply at home & the office. Sorry to all the blokes reading this ... being typical of some males, (such as not doing it at all on the W/E :mad ) he's been pretty slack about the routine of applying, so it hasn't been completely healed. It is signifcantly less though & he hasn't had to get pain killing drugs since he's been using it ... ie when I nag him or he remembers to apply it., which is basically the same thing really. :laugh:

I'm still waiting to take some "after" photos to send to them once the whole thing clears up. This is what it looked like. Just the one photo will be enough to gross you out ....

IMG_1697.jpg