Importing From Nz Into Adelaide

coco chanel

Hi we are relocating from NZ to Adelaide in a few months and just wondered if anyone else has any info on what to expect when we arrive at the airport. Our dog will be on the same flight as us and we have been told that she will be unloaded and take to AAE cargo for us to collect. Has anyone else been through this or have any experiences of AAE? We are hoping there won't be too much red tape to deal with and that we can collect her as soon as possible after landing.

Thanks

Samantha

I collected my pup from AAE in October last year. The hardest part was finding the depot which is away from the main airport, however they were very helpful when we called and gave us clear directions.

A little lax on ID though. The husband walked in, gave his name and was presented with three Mali pups (she flew with 2 litter mates). "All yours mate". Nah we only want ONE! rofl1.gif.

Its easy to find & only about 3 minutes drive from where you come out.

Straight up the road towards where the old terminals used to be, no turns just the roundabout & its on your left. Piece of cake. Hope you love Adelaide :)

Is this still the case with the carpark construction going on? I know I had to do this big circular drive around the other day when I was there. Still pretty easy to find though, when you come into the airport precinct - it just might be a bit tricker for the OP when they get off the plane and get from the terminal to AAE with the road works.

Thanks everyone. I did google Adelaide airpot map and it looked quite close to the passenger terminal. Apparently we also have to go to the quarantine office which is in another part of the airport so I think we may have to pick up a rental car rather than arranging a taxi pick up. They don't make things easy!

Has the car park mess been finished?

Last September I was sending a puppy to Qld., went to the old place near the terminal and of course it was gone, instructed to go over to the new place just off of Tapleys Hill Road, they are not the usual people that handled freight when they were in the old place, just a courier company, done that trip several times now and once you know the new place for pickup it is easy to find, definitely not walking distance from the terminal, would have to have a car and I am sure that taxis would not take a gorgeous Frenchie in their car.

Welcome to Adelaide, once you get out of that airport and collect your precious cargo, you will find Adelaide a very friendly place.

Has the car park mess been finished?

Last September I was sending a puppy to Qld., went to the old place near the terminal and of course it was gone, instructed to go over to the new place just off of Tapleys Hill Road, they are not the usual people that handled freight when they were in the old place, just a courier company, done that trip several times now and once you know the new place for pickup it is easy to find, definitely not walking distance from the terminal, would have to have a car and I am sure that taxis would not take a gorgeous Frenchie in their car.

Welcome to Adelaide, once you get out of that airport and collect your precious cargo, you will find Adelaide a very friendly place.

The address I have for AEE cargo is Sir Richard Williams Avenue? We are not coming till June but just wanted to get organised. I thought we may have problems with a taxi so I suppose rental car will be necessary.

Mjosa, we are really looking forward to our move to Adelaide. We have one of Chris Jefferies Frenchies and she is rather gorgeous. I am totally freaking out about the whole flying thing with her but I know a lot of Frenchies do fly trans-tasman and seem to cope OK.

Edited by coco chanel

Hi we are relocating from NZ to Adelaide in a few months and just wondered if anyone else has any info on what to expect when we arrive at the airport. Our dog will be on the same flight as us and we have been told that she will be unloaded and take to AAE cargo for us to collect. Has anyone else been through this or have any experiences of AAE? We are hoping there won't be too much red tape to deal with and that we can collect her as soon as possible after landing.

Thanks

Samantha

Hi Samantha,

I flew a pup in from NZ last year.....we had to get AQIS clearance as well as customs. Not quite sure how it would work for a family pet on the same flight. I went through a broker and it was about 4 hours after landing that I was able to pick her up.

You do need to notify AQIS and customs before the day to arrange the people to do the clearances.

Michelle

Samantha,

You normally require an agent in NZ to arrange and undertake your flight lodgements. Highlight that you are a passenger and are relocating to Aust. Refer MAF website.

AQIS clearances and customs:

• Normally customs do not get involved with duties etc, if that animal/s come in with passengers (family pet);
  • customs get involved and you may require a customs broker when there appears to be a change of ownership and they could be seen by Customs (depends on officer undertaking the checking of paperwork) as "breeding stock" (purebred and non-desexed). Also if paperwork states one name on papers in NZ and different name as receiver in Aust it highlights that the animal/s may be "breeding stock" so they take a closer look.

In most cases, without needing to chase up a broker, you can collect around two hours after flight arrival, in that time AQIS have done their inspections and computer clicked them as OK to enter and then it is a matter of presenting ID and collecting you animal/s. You normally have to pay an airline fee of around $86.00 for them to release.

If customs brokers need to get involved double the time!

Edited by wayrod

We flew in to Brisbane on the same flight as our dogs 3 years ago and it was very simple - everything there is in the same place. It will take some time after you get through customs yourself before you can get your dog (took us about 90 minutes from landing I think) so plenty of time to get your rental car and get sorted out yourself.

All the officials were really great in Brisbane and we had no problems at all, hope they're the same in Adelaide for you :)

Samantha,

You normally require an agent in NZ to arrange and undertake your flight lodgements. Highlight that you are a passenger and are relocating to Aust. Refer MAF website.

AQIS clearances and customs:

• Normally customs do not get involved with duties etc, if that animal/s come in with passengers (family pet);
  • customs get involved and you may require a customs broker when there appears to be a change of ownership and they could be seen by Customs (depends on officer undertaking the checking of paperwork) as "breeding stock" (purebred and non-desexed). Also if paperwork states one name on papers in NZ and different name as receiver in Aust it highlights that the animal/s may be "breeding stock" so they take a closer look.

In most cases, without needing to chase up a broker, you can collect around two hours after flight arrival, in that time AQIS have done their inspections and computer clicked them as OK to enter and then it is a matter of presenting ID and collecting you animal/s. You normally have to pay an airline fee of around $86.00 for them to release.

If customs brokers need to get involved double the time!

We are using Dogtainers pet transport agency here in NZ so everything is being organised by them. I had some concerns as it appears customs doesn't have an onsite office at Adelaide airport and we were initially told we would have travel to Port Adelaide to sort out customs formalities. Now it appears we can do a customs pre-clearance to avoid this. I don't think there will be any issues as she is most definately a family pet and has been de-sexed so no chance of her being used for breeding. I just want to make sure we can get everything done as quick as possible to minimise the time she will be held in her cage.

Edited by coco chanel