Idiots - Opinions On Comments?

Leelaa17

Patting strange dogs  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Should a person be able to pat a strange dog (without asking the owners permission) without the fear of being bitten?

I don't assume that any dog is friendly until I have proof one way or the other so if anyone tries to pat a dog they don't know and gets bitten then I don't have a lot of sympathy.

That said - I simply can't understand why anyone would put their dog in a situation that they (the owner) can't adquately control for their dog. Owners sh/would know what could cause their dog to react so surely they would not put them in that situation??

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't assume that any dog is friendly until I have proof one way or the other so if anyone tries to pat a dog they don't know and gets bitten then I don't have a lot of sympathy.

That said - I simply can't understand why anyone would put their dog in a situation that they (the owner) can't adquately control for their dog. Owners sh/would know what could cause their dog to react so surely they would not put them in that situation??

There is a first time for any reaction to be observed, if a dog acts out of character or is startled by encountering something it never has before how is the average dog owner going to know what to expect.

There is no such thing as bombproof.

It would be nice to be able to guarantee without any shadow of doubt how an animal will react but since they are living creatures we cannot do that.

The first sign that my old horse was losing his vision was a totally unexpected reaction to something. Further investigation discovered the issue and we were able to then be aware.

We expect a lot out of animals and little out of people.

There is a first time for any reaction to be observed, if a dog acts out of character or is startled by encountering something it never has before how is the average dog owner going to know what to expect.

There is no such thing as bombproof.

It would be nice to be able to guarantee without any shadow of doubt how an animal will react but since they are living creatures we cannot do that.

The first sign that my old horse was losing his vision was a totally unexpected reaction to something. Further investigation discovered the issue and we were able to then be aware.

We expect a lot out of animals and little out of people.

I know what you are saying, but aren't you largely talking about exceptions? Generally people know if their dog is going to react when someone rushes it or whether it is stable enough to be left tied up in public with the distinct possibility of someone else approaching it.

I expect the worst out of people and my dogs - its just safer that way. Sadly it is usually my dogs that surprise me by handling situations beyond my expectations.

Sadly, many don't. Ignorance of the finer points of dog body language is pretty common, even among dog owners. This, coupled with lack of supervision, is how kids get bitten by their own family's dogs.

Example: A dog wagging its tail is 'happy' and 'friendly'.

"He's never done that before" is frequent comment from dog owners whose dogs react aggressively to something. They're often right but they miss all the warning signs that their dog is radiating about not being happy.

Sadly, many don't. Ignorance of the finer points of dog body language is pretty common, even among dog owners. This, coupled with lack of supervision, is how kids get bitten by their own family's dogs.

Example: A dog wagging its tail is 'happy' and 'friendly'.

"He's never done that before" is frequent comment from dog owners whose dogs react aggressively to something. They're often right but they miss all the warning signs that their dog is radiating about not being happy.

I guess you are right. I just find it so frustrating. I have quite a reactive boy who has zero tolerance of rudeness, but who is also VERY subtle in the cues he gives that he is unhappy. Most people have NO idea that he is not just a big cuddly teddy bear who is oh so placid.

As Crisovar said - there was a first time, but since that time I've made it my job to work with him so that he is more tolerant and to understand what I'm looking at and do my level best to ensure that nothing happens to either my dog or anyone/dog he is unhappy with. (FTR - he has never shown HA tendancies, but I'm not about to take the risk and give him that opportunity.)