Keeping Weight On Young Dog

SLF

I have a lively 12mth old entire female kelpie.

She is currently on a 'complete balanced' diet of Pedigree Working Dog. However I am finding it difficult to maintain a healthy weight. So I started her back on Advanced Puppy in the morning and Working dog in the evening. She is still only just in a healthy weight range.

She is healthy, wormed, vaccinated, flea treated. Just an active young dog, who burns alot of energy. I have tried increasing her total amount, but she leaves it and doesnt eat it. So she is full, but still on the very trim side.

Any ideas on ways to up the calories without increasing the volume of food?

all advice appreciated. thanks

Yep, what Nekhbet said. :D Lamb is especially good for really active youngsters. But like Vickie said, she may well stay light until maturity.

Mine are a bigger breed but can commonly go through skinny gangly phases until three and four years old - sometimes having you almost tearing your hair out! Maturity comes eventually!!

I've always found with my kelpies if they ever look a bit light on I just feed them Advance and they stack on the weight very quickly. I recently had a customer with the same problem, told her about this so she tried it with her dog and within a month it is looking a better weight without being too heavy.

Also ox chhek is great as it has a higher fat content.

I feed raw meat, bones veggies etc but I also give my Kelpies Vet All Natural Complete Mix- and so far its the only thing that really makes my pups keep condition without needing to dramatically increase the quantity I am feeding. Although unlike your dogs mine never walk away from food :rofl: