Crate Advise Please >> All Solved Thanks Guys

daccydog

Hello everyone :)

Your help is needed

I have two mini dachys , love them both to bits , The female loves her crate and will sleep in there all night no problems!!

the other one a male gets in his crate and scratches and fluffs around for ages then goes to sleep , then about 1am decides to start whinning crying etc, so I take him outside thinking he wants do a wee , yeap will do it , then races back into MY BED , snuggles down and everythings fine,.. of course, why wouldnt it be he has got HIS WAY , but its taken me a while to catch on hehehe and really its not funny, he's too smart ,

MY question is how can i break this Habit of what he's doing , I cant get back to sleep for ages and i'm tired

he has a pillow on the bottom of his crate ............? what does your dog sleep on if in a crate

please suggestions greatly appreciated

DACCYDOG the one with dark circles under her eyes and yawning all the time :mad

Edited by daccydog

If you feel he does in fact also need to toilet, take him outside on lead, then take him straight back to his crate. He will either stop asking to go to the toilet if he doesn't need to or you will find it is merely a ploy on his behalf to get out of his crate. If he carries on and it's not a toileting emergency, in a soft voice tell him to shhhh, then ignore him. He will soon learn his protests have no payoff. I found this has worked for me. :)

Oh, and my dogs sleep on a tightly fitted mattress (crate size) and vet bed blanket that they sometimes rearrange to their little hearts desire if cold or if hot simply lay on top off with no rearranging.

Edited by LizT

My girl is happy to sleep in her crate all night long. Sometimes in the middle of the night though she does cry to get let out to toilet. After she's done her business she thinks its playtime :eek: which at 3.30am I'm not keen on!

I normally give her a kong with abit of cheese paste in it which distracts her.. she has a lick & then goes back off to sleep..no probs.

If its light though.. different story! We were up at 6.00am today! :laugh:

Does he sleep on your bed or under the blankets.Most dachies dislike neatness they like to burrow & hide under things ,they do like being with there humans & usually sleep like velcro dogs next to you .

I gather they are in sep crates ?? What happens if you put them in together ?

Edited by showdog

Does he sleep on your bed or under the blankets.Most dachies dislike neatness they like to burrow & hide under things ,they do like being with there humans & usually sleep like velcro dogs next to you .

Ohhh you must of had a daccy at some time , yes velcro is my female.. whether this is right or wrong I let them stay with me in bed till 9.30 pm (i watch tv in my bedroom) then its out for a wee and in to there own bed , maybe i've got to change this habit ?

He likes to burrow under the doona , and is quite comfortable with legs up in the air ,

they have seperate crates a bit squezzy for the 2 to be comfy in, i would think 24"size anyhow i have just changed the bedding in his crate to a pet futon matress that is a lot more stable than the pillow he had previously , Now he will be able to scratch and fluff around till his hearts content :rofl:

And yes I'm going win this battle as i really do know he is pulling the wool over my eyes :eek: true, ,

and i will close the door ....

Edited by daccydog

Ohhh you must of had a daccy at some time , yes velcro is my female.. whether this is right or wrong I let them stay with me in bed till 9.30 pm (i watch tv in my bedroom) then its out for a wee and in to there own bed , maybe i've got to change this habit ?

He likes to burrow under the doona , and is quite comfortable with legs up in the air ,

they have seperate crates a bit squezzy for the 2 to be comfy in, i would think 24"size anyhow i have just changed the bedding in his crate to a pet futon matress that is a lot more stable than the pillow he had previously , Now he will be able to scratch and fluff around till his hearts content :rofl:

And yes I'm going win this battle as i really do know he is pulling the wool over my eyes :eek: true, ,

and i will close the door ....

We do this too! I work nightshift and get up for work at about 12.30am and so I go to bed at about 7.30 pm for a sleep and when OH comes to bed he takes the dogs and crates them. They know the routine and it works well, so I don't think you need to change it, just be consistent. :)

He's got no way to know the rules except by picking up patterns. If he's allowed back in the bed at 1am, then clearly this must be within The Rules :D

I only recently started letting my girl sleep on the bed, but the only rule is 'you're only allowed on the bed when I'm in bed'. She's picked this up better than i had hoped, to the extent that she will jump off the bed if I get up to go to the bathroom and wait on her own bed until I get back in. I feel bad disturbing her for such a short outing but it means that the rule is clear and simple for her to understand :)

Also if I get up to let the dogs out in the middle of the night I won't look at them or talk to them, just open the door, wait, close the door and back to bed. That way there's no motivation for them to play at attention-seeking :)

He's got no way to know the rules except by picking up patterns. If he's allowed back in the bed at 1am, then clearly this must be within The Rules :D

I only recently started letting my girl sleep on the bed, but the only rule is 'you're only allowed on the bed when I'm in bed'. She's picked this up better than i had hoped, to the extent that she will jump off the bed if I get up to go to the bathroom and wait on her own bed until I get back in. I feel bad disturbing her for such a short outing but it means that the rule is clear and simple for her to understand :)

Also if I get up to let the dogs out in the middle of the night I won't look at them or talk to them, just open the door, wait, close the door and back to bed. That way there's no motivation for them to play at attention-seeking :)

Yes you are completly right and i know its my fault ,Just been too tired with him waking me up everynight, as the kids say TOO EASY !to put him into bed with me

Thanks guys for your tips

DACCYDOG

Hello everyone :D

Very excited here :thumbsup: In my last post I mentioned to you that I'd changed his bedding to a pet futon mattress in his create , well what a difference for 2 nights he's been so good and back to normal without waking me up

I now think he was trying to get comfortable by fluffing around with his pillow , silly me :( I should have known what Daccys are like,they love there blanket and lots of comfort

Thanks again

Daccydog

Very excited here :thumbsup: In my last post I mentioned to you that I'd changed his bedding to a pet futon mattress in his create , well what a difference for 2 nights he's been so good and back to normal without waking me up

I now think he was trying to get comfortable by fluffing around with his pillow , silly me :( I should have known what Daccys are like,they love there blanket and lots of comfort

Thanks again

Daccydog

...so now we can all get some sleep.... (it's an old joke) :laugh:

m

Thanks again

Daccydog

...so now we can all get some sleep.... (it's an old joke) :laugh:

:rofl::rofl: thats so true , if only he could have told me he was uncomfortable in there with the crappy pillow he was on

Edited by daccydog