Husky Started Whining And Scratching

Zerofallen

Hi everyone.

Wasn't too sure where to post this but just after some advice regarding my husky... She's 30 months old and in the past never really caused any fuss with sleeping or hanging out outside while my wife and I had things to do. She's usually very relaxed. Recently though she's taken to whining whenever she's outside and scratching furiously at the door at night... It's progressively been getting worse to the point where my wife and I aren't able to sleep at night unless we let her inside to sleep in the lounge room. It's also stressing out my wife to tears while she's home.

The thing is that it's coincided with my wife's pregnancy... As that progressed so did her behaviour to the point where there's only 4 days until the due date and unless Ishi is inside she will sit at the door and whine constantly. I've had a read around the place and there's some information that links pregnancy to attachment behaviour issues, but what I'd like to know is what can be done in the interim? There's no way that my wife or I can handle this for the next two weeks at a maximum, and there's no guarantee that it's going to stop after the kid is born. Can this sort of behaviour be trained out and what methods will work? Ignoring hasn't worked, reward training hasn't worked. I've had an e-collar suggested to me, but not too sure about that.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

any reason why the dog can not sleep inside ? Sounds as if all is peaceful when she does :) maybe get a babygate or pen, and allow her to sleep near`her pack , where she needs to be ?

I also suggest that you contact a professional . ASAP . and if you're in melb.

maybe try members erny or cosmolo. They can also help with the introduction of a baby into your 'pack' .

Hi everyone.

Wasn't too sure where to post this but just after some advice regarding my husky... She's 30 months old and in the past never really caused any fuss with sleeping or hanging out outside while my wife and I had things to do. She's usually very relaxed. Recently though she's taken to whining whenever she's outside and scratching furiously at the door at night... It's progressively been getting worse to the point where my wife and I aren't able to sleep at night unless we let her inside to sleep in the lounge room. It's also stressing out my wife to tears while she's home.

The thing is that it's coincided with my wife's pregnancy... As that progressed so did her behaviour to the point where there's only 4 days until the due date and unless Ishi is inside she will sit at the door and whine constantly. I've had a read around the place and there's some information that links pregnancy to attachment behaviour issues, but what I'd like to know is what can be done in the interim? There's no way that my wife or I can handle this for the next two weeks at a maximum, and there's no guarantee that it's going to stop after the kid is born. Can this sort of behaviour be trained out and what methods will work? Ignoring hasn't worked, reward training hasn't worked. I've had an e-collar suggested to me, but not too sure about that.

This behaviour can be trained out, but probably not in four days.

By giving up and letting this dog sleep inside when it is noisy, you have actually reinforced that behaviour. You have trained your dog to be noisy, by rewarding it for its behaviour by letting it inside.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to links between pregnancy and attachment behaviour, this is just normal dog stuff. Most people have pregnancies where the dog doesn't develop problems, unless they decide to give the dog much less attention and interaction than it was used to getting before.

Its going to be easier for you at this stage to allow the dog to sleep inside at night. But to actually solve the problem, I think you should work with a dog trainer to establish a plan that suits your family and new baby. It may take longer than four days, but it sounds like something that is very solvable from what you have written here.

Good luck. :)

any reason why the dog can not sleep inside ? Sounds as if all is peaceful when she does :) maybe get a babygate or pen, and allow her to sleep near`her pack , where she needs to be ?

I also suggest that you contact a professional . ASAP . and if you're in melb.

maybe try members erny or cosmolo. They can also help with the introduction of a baby into your 'pack' .

Personally I don't have a problem with her sleeping inside, as we already have a baby gate separating the lounge area from the bedrooms and hallway... It's my wife who would rather she slept outside. But realistically she can't be inside all the time that we are, especially when the baby comes along... Since she's quite an exuberant dog (when there's things around to "play" with) I'd really prefer accidents don't happen.

You might be right with contact a professional... Just need this taken care of sooner rather than later.

This behaviour can be trained out, but probably not in four days.

By giving up and letting this dog sleep inside when it is noisy, you have actually reinforced that behaviour. You have trained your dog to be noisy, by rewarding it for its behaviour by letting it inside.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to links between pregnancy and attachment behaviour, this is just normal dog stuff. Most people have pregnancies where the dog doesn't develop problems, unless they decide to give the dog much less attention and interaction than it was used to getting before.

Its going to be easier for you at this stage to allow the dog to sleep inside at night. But to actually solve the problem, I think you should work with a dog trainer to establish a plan that suits your family and new baby. It may take longer than four days, but it sounds like something that is very solvable from what you have written here.

Good luck. :)

Well I have never let her sleep inside when she's been noisy... She's usually inside at night time before bed and after weeks of not sleeping well I just left her inside on her cushion last night so we could sleep decently for once. I've tried my hardest to avoid reinforcing the negative behaviour, but she doesn't seem to respond to that.

Personally I don't have a problem with her sleeping inside, as we already have a baby gate separating the lounge area from the bedrooms and hallway... It's my wife who would rather she slept outside. But realistically she can't be inside all the time that we are, especially when the baby comes along... Since she's quite an exuberant dog (when there's things around to "play" with) I'd really prefer accidents don't happen.

You might be right with contact a professional... Just need this taken care of sooner rather than later.

Yes, a good trainer will really be able to help. When a new baby arrives there will be times when it will not be appropriate for the dog to demand attention. A good trainer will help you work out the best way to do this so that dog and family are both satisfied. Get on to it now, so you both know exactly what to do when the baby is here.

Has her routine been changed recently due to the baby

Did she use to spend more time inside with the humans ??

Is she now spending more time outside than she is use to last minute ??

Does she still get the walks & play time she did before

Well I have never let her sleep inside when she's been noisy... She's usually inside at night time before bed and after weeks of not sleeping well I just left her inside on her cushion last night so we could sleep decently for once. I've tried my hardest to avoid reinforcing the negative behaviour, but she doesn't seem to respond to that.

Just remember that they get A LOT worse before they get better, if she gets louder and more frustrated its probably because she is exhausting all matters of gaining your attention key thing is to ignore it at all cost (as long as she is not injuring herself)... I found they stop within a week..... but if thats really not working i'd go with what everyone else is suggesting trainer/behaviourist

Has her routine been changed recently due to the baby

Did she use to spend more time inside with the humans ??

Is she now spending more time outside than she is use to last minute ??

Does she still get the walks & play time she did before

Routine hasn't changed at all. I'm still spending the same amount of time with her, taking her for walks and runs still. My wife spends time with her too when she's home inside, and she's inside right until we go to bed. That's why I was surprised with the sudden change.

Even took her to my parent's place when I was there yesterday so she could play with their dog, hoping she'd wear herself out, but when we came home I put her outside with her dinner while my wife and I ate and she whined the entire time.

I would go to the nearest decent pet shop and invest in a metal crate TODAY. Start feeding the dog in it and start giving her time inside in it in the loungeroom when you are there.

That way dog can be inside, and there is no issue with 'accident's involving dog and bub because dog can be confined unless under close supervision.

Do NOT rely on a baby gate to seperate the dog from your baby. A locked door (either on the crate or a proper door) is a far safer option.

I agree with what the others have said about a behaviourist ASAP

I will say as well that having a baby is a fantastic but very emotional and often stressful experience. I would take steps now to ensure that when the baby comes your dog will be looked after so there isn't as much stress on you and your wife. Our dogs went to grandmas when I was in hospital and we arranged for friends/family to help out with them too-walks, baths, etc. honestly the first month was such a fog that it threw out our normal routine completely. I found it better to have plans worked out in advance-you may not need them-so you don't have to sit around stressing over how to fit it all in.

Good luck!