4 Mth Old Puppy Barking When I'm Out

monday_bloody_monday

Thanks for the replies everyone! As my other dog is a basenji, I'm pretty new to the barking thing. There are a couple of reasons we were keeping her inside for now. One of which was the fact that she is a play barker and if she is barking outside it is going to be a whole lot louder for the neighbours. But since she is barking inside and disturbing the neighbours anyway I think the plan of attack is to put her outside with Akili and see how she goes. I have spoken with another neighbour who is going to keep an ear out for her and let me know if she keeps the barking up outside. That might be the next thread... :rolleyes:

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of my beautiful girls - Taru the lappie and Akili the basenji.

Good plan! And good luck

Have you got some way to record your pup while you are out? Or have other neighbours confirmed the relentless barking claim?

The reason I ask is that a friend had complaints from a neighbour about her dog barking "non-stop, all day". She set up something to record, and in a 6 hour period there was about 3 minutes of barking. She went and asked the neighbour if the dog had barked much, neighbour said yes, all day, driving them insane...friend didn't say anything about the recording. Next day she took the day off work and took the dog out for the day, came home, went over and asked the neighbour again..."Yes, barked all day"! She called him on that one and hasn't had a complaint since.

• 1 month later...

My 4 month old is a bit the same with the barking when not with me at the moment, if she is put into her yard she barks even with toys, also have tried pigs ear a frozen kong shes just not interested unless im in view. Shes not distressed just stating 'let me out now' so im at a bit of a loss also, i dont want her to develop into a barker so im trying to get her away from this behaviour sooner rather than later. I am wanting her down there at this stage while im at work as i need a new fence between me and my neighbour and i dont want her escaping on me.

So cant offer any help just a reassurance that my 4 month old is the same.

My 4 month old is the same too!

She ignored a lamb shank in favour of barking/crying/screaming, but the second I'm inthe room she will happily tuck into whatever treat I've left for her. 4 month old's are weird creatures!

I think mine is fairly ok when I'm out, but it's when she knows I'm home she goes nuts. I leave my webcam on some days when I go to work and she goes through phases of barking for a half hour or so, then plays/sleeps for a few hours. I leave long lasting treats for her (frozen things she needs to lick at to get, peanut butter smeared on plastic water bottles so when she pounces on it, it goes sliding across the tiled floor which means she has to really chase it (keeps her amused for hours!)

OMG I was just going to get on here tonight and ask what is up with my 4 myh old puppy!! All of a sudden he has started barking his head off & freaking out whenever I take my other dog out for a walk. This anxiety attack he has started having is brand new & happens even when my husband & kids are home with him while I walk my older dog.

He has also started barking at the back door to come in as well if he wants attention. This isnt an anxious type bark though, its a bratty 'let me in' bark. I shut the blinds and he stops straight away with that one.

Im not too sure how to handle the seperation anxiety he has just started with my other dog. I have made sure I have given them both time away from each other since we have had the pup and its been fine til last week, I give him a kong with yummy treats, or a pigs ear to chew while Im gone but nothing weems to help. My husband has said that he is inconsolable, he has been just trying to ignore the barking and go about his usual things, that hasnt worked. He has also tryed playing with him but pup doesnt want to know about it.Dont know what to try next?

Common puppy problem.

Most important thing is don't reward the barking. Make sure it never pays off (by making the door open, by getting you to pay the pup attention, etc. etc.)

My puppy has also discovered his voice over the past month or two. When he barks in his crate, we pull the blanket over the top to isolate him from the action. It reduces the stimulation he is exposed to, and also ensures he is not given attention for barking. It seems to be working (so far so good). Luckily he doesn't bark much outside or during the day. But it's still early days yet.

• 2 weeks later...

It's very difficult to know what your dog(s) get up to when your not present and even harder to address the issue. Majority of my suburban neighbours haven't a clue how their pets behave once their cars reverse out of the garage and off to work. Next door JRT's severe anxiety sets off when her only companion exits at 5:30am for 8hrs then later that evening to another job for a further 4hrs, she's goes nuts running around the house looking through the windows and barking excessively, panting for atleast an hour or more. The noise can be tiring but it doesn't bother me too much, I have empathy for the poor thing as she is a product of her environment.

If you trust your adult dogs behaviour around the puppy maybe you should consider allowing them to reside in the same location preferably a secure yard for companionship while your absent. I have 100% faith in my 2yr old Goldie with my Pom puppy having come to this conclusion after past observation and experiences, he's even been left alone in the yard with young chickens and dwarf rabbits. Puppy's usually very vocal if she's had enough and will walk off.

If after that the barking still exists maybe a barking collar can assist with the excessive barking.

Nothing worst than working shift hours and trying to sleep through neighbouring dogs scream sessions.

Good luck with the puppy.